Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,115,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
So, if you use this LEASH when do you finally teach your child to STAY PUT? Seriously? You teach them they can wander off basically. Give them the freedom you feel they "deserve".... but when do you teach them to listen to you? This leash nonsense sounds rediculous....
You can teach children but they may fail to remember the rules. Were you ever a child yourself?

Small children may know to stay on the sidewalk, hold hands when crossing the street, but if their balloon blows into the street they may forget and instinctively charge after the balloon and into harms way.

Children may know right from wrong but it shouldn't cost them their life because they forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,842,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You can teach children but they may fail to remember the rules. Were you ever a child yourself?

Small children may know to stay on the sidewalk, hold hands when crossing the street, but if their balloon blows into the street they may forget and instinctively charge after the balloon and into harms way.

Children may know right from wrong but it shouldn't cost them their life because they forget.
Oh give me a break! Are you serious? Was I ever a child myself? Come on..... get real.......... this is the most rediculous form of child rearing..... kids are going to forget so lets tie them up.... that is really a great way to keep them SAFE....heal boy... heal....DEGRADING

Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,115,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Oh give me a break! Are you serious? Was I ever a child myself? Come on..... get real.......... this is the most rediculous form of child rearing..... kids are going to forget so lets tie them up.... that is really a great way to keep them SAFE....
You clearly have no memory of being a child and unintentionally or intentionally going against what your parents taught you. You have no idea what they went through to protect you from YOURSELF.

RIDUCULOUS- I think not.

Tie them up?

Stop trying to instigate and stir the pot and just learn how to have a conversation and debate on a subject.

Most people who use leashes on their children couldn't care less what people like you think of them.

Their priority is keeping the child safe and out of harms way. Not cowtailing to people who hurl insults to make themselves feel superior.

With the amount of kidnapping that goes on these days, I see no reason not to protect your child.

If you want peer pressure child rearing and trying to belittle people into thinking your way, you picked the wrong place.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
You clearly have no memory of being a child and unintentionally or intentionally going against what your parents taught you. You have no idea what they went through to protect you from YOURSELF.

RIDUCULOUS- I think not.

Tie them up?

Stop trying to instigate and stir the pot and just learn how to have a conversation and debate on a subject.

Most people who use leashes on their children couldn't care less what people like you think of them.

Their priority is keeping the child safe and out of harms way. Not cowtailing to people who hurl insults to make themselves feel superior.

With the amount of kidnapping that goes on these days, I see no reason not to protect your child.

If you want peer pressure child rearing and trying to belittle people into thinking your way, you picked the wrong place.
What do you know about me? Seriously? Is this about ME and MY memories? I thought this was about LEASHES? I never name called or sent any rude names in any one persons direction.... it was the other way around if I am not mistaking... it was the form of child rearing I called rediculous and useless. And I was brought up very well.... I didn't run from my parents. I was never put on a leash. I was taught to stay with my parents. I was taught, as my children are, not to RUN around in public places. I was taught, as my children are, not to be too far from me in public places. I was taught, as my children are, to listen to my parents and that has done both my children and me well. I have very well behaved children who do not need to be leashed like animals. Thank goodness. I have a dog I have to walk, so I am lucky I do not have to walk my children on leashes as well, that would become a tangled mess I believe.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,488,605 times
How many of you have been in an airport (especially Houston) with a 1 hr layover that was then delayed 3 1/2 hours and it was your 11 month old & yourself?

If you've been in the Houston airport for longer than a minute (or any airport) & more importantly, with a newly walking child, you know it's complete & utter lack of any safe & unpopulated areas. An airport, such as Houston, is too crowded with too many different areas for a quick child to make a dash.

I cannot an almost 1 yr old child for 4 1/2 straight hours in that situation. Even better, our plane was departing from an area that has the gates in a semicircle so there was little to no room to even sit. People are so polite & friendly as they just stare at you as you try to hold your toddler as he squirms & wiggles & sit there babbling on their cell phones about how long the layover is and sip their coffee....

The "leash" which can be brought in so your child is not that far from you, was a sanity saver for my child & myself. I did not intend to use it but had it in our carry on in case of a delay & thus giving my son the most logical means of movement.

Some situations are not so easy as eating at a restaurant or taking a stroll through the mall or park.

If someone has a better idea of ways to occupy children who are 12 months and under in a very crowded airport for an extended time period, please post it in the airport...you will be helping thousands of parents.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,484,439 times
I would love to know how you teach a 10mth old to STAY PUT? My son could outrun my 4yr old at 10mths old...a leash was necessary.

And what about children with autism or other special needs...do you think about that before you judge?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I would love to know how you teach a 10mth old to STAY PUT? My son could outrun my 4yr old at 10mths old...a leash was necessary.

And what about children with autism or other special needs...do you think about that before you judge?
Did I say anything about children with special needs? No, and again, if you would like to take a look into my life history you would know I have a brother in law with special needs... who cannot walk and is a grown adult and cannot care for himself. He has MANY needs that I do not need to go into.... but since I don't provide my family HISTORY on these threads and people on here just assume as they please making generalizations that jump into random things that don't even relate to the topic at hand..... if you would like to start a new thread about special needs children that might be a great idea.... I care deeply about them.....so deeply that I have actually taught special education.... Thank you for taking the time to ask me what I think about the topic. Again, I would not tie an autistic, CP, ADD, Downs..... child up with a leash......

Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,493,954 times
We raised 5 children with no leashes. It can be done. In fact, my gradnmother raised 14 cildren and never head a leash for any of them.

Like every other aspect of American life I see leashes as a shortcut for parenting. (So are all the ADD drugs that doctors hand out like candy. americans are always looking for a more convenient, more efficient way of doing everything. A leash certainly is that. In addition, you cold get one of those dog collars that give a mild electric shock if the wearer gets more than a specified distance from the base. Also, buy a whistle for summoning your children at home. That is certianly efficent and convenient. Remember the Admiral (Colonel?) in Sound of Music? He really would have liked leashes for his kids.

If you use a leash, do you use a chock chain or a pinch collar? that would certainly work better than those flimsy nylon things that I have seen on children.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We raised 5 children with no leashes. It can be done. In fact, my gradnmother raised 14 cildren and never head a leash for any of them.

Like every other aspect of American life I see leashes as a shortcut for parenting. (So are all the ADD drugs that doctors hand out like candy. americans are always looking for a more convenient, more efficient way of doing everything. A leash certainly is that. In addition, you cold get one of those dog collars that give a mild electric shock if the wearer gets more than a specified distance from the base. Also, buy a whistle for summoning your children at home. That is certianly efficent and convenient. Remember the Admiral (Colonel?) in Sound of Music? He really would have liked leashes for his kids.

If you use a leash, do you use a chock chain or a pinch collar? that would certainly work better than those flimsy nylon things that I have seen on children.
Oh, I like you..... Totally agree......

Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
So let me get this right...you are frustrated because people are assuming and making generalizations about you AND YET you feel no hesitancy to jump to the conclusion that anyone who has a leash on their child either has a badly behaved child, isn't doing a proper job of parenting or probably both! Pot, kettle....hello? and the phrase "tying up".... heck, I wouldn't even "tie up" my dog with the leash - would make the walk difficult...
So can we assume when you take your little ones to the pool you never ever used those floaties on their arms or the ones built in the swimsuit either? Because you watched them 100% of the time correct? no blinking, looking away for a moment to find your sunglasses. Remember you are the mom you must have your eyes on them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting