Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times

Advertisements

They'll grow out of it. Hopefully. It's just a young person thing... they think it's cool because it attracts attention. You'll notice that the worst potty mouths are the ones most starved for attention or a sense of self worth or self knowledge in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
They'll grow out of it. Hopefully. It's just a young person thing... they think it's cool because it attracts attention. You'll notice that the worst potty mouths are the ones most starved for attention or a sense of self worth or self knowledge in some way.
in a nutshell current child behavior model, its just a stage they will grow out of it. but they dont. the snake gets larger and meaner.
i have seen adolescents develop into violent criminals before my very eyes while all the players chanted, its just a stage.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 AM

50 posts, read 200,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Since they're only briefly passing by as I hear these words exiting their mouths I can't remark much on their craving for attention or sense of self worth, but my guess is that you're right on with that theory. How sad, huh? And if they're not getting the attention now, the cries for attention only get bigger as they get older, right?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

50 posts, read 200,819 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
protect your child, don't try to fix what others dont see as a problem they are already building their own hell machine, construction zone ahead, slow down.
I'm a little unsure about what you meant by this? Sorry. Are you saying that our kids are trying to be too grown up too fast and that as parents we should try to remind them to just be kids?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Kids at that age have an "invisible audience" they think that people are always watching and judging them - therefore, they are always trying to be "cool" and "tough".

At the same time, kids at that age don't understand the public opinion of a person who loudly boasts about sexual conquests or uses language that may be offensive to some people.

I would not speak to any of the kiddos or their parents - but I would start a dialouge with your child about reputation, gossip, and a person's overall image.

Your kiddo will come to the proper conclusion if this is reinforced positively in the context of a conversation and not a lecture.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM

167 posts, read 396,244 times
I am 21 years old and have been through a lot in my life already. I have hda brothers move away, settled for promiscuous women to cure my loneliness, and let me tell you something... Nothing bothers me more than swearing. I hate it when little kids swear too. I guess it isn't just the liberal imbiscles in Los Angeles, it's everyone everywhere.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM

603 posts, read 2,358,246 times
I think rolling up the window was the right thing to do. But if you were outside with your younger children and middle schoolers walked by talking like that, I think you have every right to politely tell them/show them you are with a young child and you don't want the baby to start talking that way! Middle schoolers can be reasonable and most of them love little ones. Middle schoolers are going to swear, but they need to learn that it's offensive to most people.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I cussed like a sailor when I was a teen. My parents started making me fork over a dime every time they heard me say a "bad" word. When that failed to curtail the habit, they started chanting "Trailer-park! Trailer-park!" when I got particularly foul. I hated the taunting more than the fine, ESPECIALLY since THEY used all the words I used! (As I told them once, "Where do you think I learned these words!")

As a now almost-40 adult, I rarely cuss these days, but I've also noticed that I don't hang around with people who cuss. I think that has a lot to do with it. Whether we mean to or not, I think that over time we begin to act like the people with whom we regularly associate.

By this token, I think kids who cuss regularly probably have parents who cuss regularly...or maybe friends who have parents who cuss regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting