Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM

603 posts, read 2,352,765 times

Advertisements

6 Years sounds way too old to be breastfeeding... and children should be weaned from thumb sucking and pacifiers by then, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,399,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
6 Years sounds way too old to be breastfeeding... and children should be weaned from thumb sucking and pacifiers by then, too.

That's your opinion. You might replace the word 'should' with 'I think.'

Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,908,131 times
I personally know a child who still nursed occasionally when she was 6 (at that age it was maybe once per week if that). She is now 12, and is a perfectly normal, intelligent, empathetic, well-adjusted child. I have asked her if she remembers nursing and she says she does and that it was warm and wonderful. I have asked her what she thinks about the fact that she nursed longer than most other kids do, and she says that she thinks she is lucky because she can remember it and they can't. She's not embarrassed about it, she does not think of it sexually, and she has not been harmed by it in any way. I think her mom is an awesome parent (not because of this, just in general) and person, and I don't think she's done anything wrong by her child by nursing as long as she did.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,959,619 times
Just to clear things up, it does not hurt to nurse a child with teeth. I nursed my daughter until she was 3 1/2, and she had a mouthful of teeth, but it never hurt at all. It is uncomfortable when they are babies and their top front teeth come in, but just for a couple of weeks until you get used to it. Bottom teeth are covered by the tongue during nursing.

Just like nursing toddlers, nursing older children do not ONLY drink breastmilk. They eat and drink foods and liquids just like everyone else. I'm quite certain that a six year old or an eight year old would not nurse during a soccer game... he'd just drink water/Gatorade/etc like all of the other kids.

While I don't nurse my big kids, I just wanted to clear up these misconceptions.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,112,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Taboo, there's no scientific evidence that breast feeding past the age of 2 sexually warps a child.
I have no idea if it warps a child or not at age 8. I am just telling you what some BOYS were doing at age 8 and how they did associate boobs with women and sexuality and i cannot fathom if they were still breastfeeding while doing sick things to my barbie dolls.

The 2 boys i speak of had older brothers who i am sure opened them up to age inappropriate information, but nonetheless, i think it would conflicting for them to still be nursing and have the information they did going on in their little heads.

bizarre.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Like i said before. I knew 8 yr olds (not to much farther then 6 yr olds) who were boobie obsessed and were starting to masturbate to girly mags- obviously nothing came out. Sick, yes, but it happens. What does that mean if he is also sucking on mom still? if you go much farther than 6 yrs old they might be aroused by moms boobs?
AND HE IS CORRECT!!!! Psychologists advice for mothers not to undress in front of their BOYS, after age 6, when the sexuality of the child begins to awaken , into possible masturbation. They also advice for mothers not to sleep with their boys, or allow them to sleep with other females.

I remember, as a girl, that I began to experiment with little boys after age 7. Nothing heavy, but nonetheless experimentation.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,984,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I personally know a child who still nursed occasionally when she was 6 (at that age it was maybe once per week if that). She is now 12, and is a perfectly normal, intelligent, empathetic, well-adjusted child. I have asked her if she remembers nursing and she says she does and that it was warm and wonderful. I have asked her what she thinks about the fact that she nursed longer than most other kids do, and she says that she thinks she is lucky because she can remember it and they can't. She's not embarrassed about it, she does not think of it sexually, and she has not been harmed by it in any way. I think her mom is an awesome parent (not because of this, just in general) and person, and I don't think she's done anything wrong by her child by nursing as long as she did.
GIRLS mental development is different than BOYS.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,163,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
AND HE IS CORRECT!!!! Psychologists advice for mothers not to undress in front of their [b]BOYS, after age 6, when the sexuality of the child begins to awaken , into possible masturbation.
Which psychologists?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,005,919 times
Many years ago I had a neighbor who was still breast-feeding her 12 year old boy. Yes she was a full on hippie also. I think I remember her saying something about "saving money on her grocery bill"
Nothing shocks me anymore !

Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,929,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Many years ago I had a neighbor who was still breast-feeding her 12 year old boy. Yes she was a full on hippie also. I think I remember her saying something about "saving money on her grocery bill"
Nothing shocks me anymore !
That is just down right CREEPY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting