Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:53 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone has noticed how flakey and dramatic teen age girls act but I'm trying to remember when I came out of my flakey little drama queen phase. I'm enduring a nieces phase now and hers is scarier than mine ever was. Give me some hope, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
18 has been better than 17 if that helps.....

Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
18 has been better than 17 if that helps.....
Oh mercy! That's three more years of misery.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,363 times
I got married at the age of 17 - something my family was raised to do - and I think my EX husband would tell you I did not 'grow up' until the birth of our first child when I was 19.

I was, however, not nearly as bad as girls are these days - my parents will agree with that, as we have had this conversation- so it was not a huge deal to grow out of it.

I, too, am having trouble figuring out what all the drama is about. My dd in-law and dd in-law to be are much the same. Are they just so spoiled, or has the media turned them into what they are? I tend to lean toward the media, as people such as Paris Hilton and Britney Spears set examples which are horrible, yet teens find irresistable.

It just seems so much worse than it was even 10 years ago, let alone when I was a teen. I remember my meltdowns being over boys rather than things - now it seems like the scales are even, as they are trying to keep up with the teen 'Joneses', while being so into EVERY persons business around them, to the point of making it their life as well.

I so wish these young girls would realize a bling bling phone and the best purse money can buy doesn't give them character - it makes them like every body else. I see no compassion, only me, me, me, and sobbing on the bed as though their life is over if so and so upsets their delicate balance.

As if the hormonal changes in their bodies are not enough at this tender age, maybe all the extra hormones in our food supply have gone straight to the personality gene! lol!

Anyway...
I feel for you, but I do have a few suggestions.

Try 'forcing' them to volunteer somewhere this Christmas at a soup kitchen, or a community food and toy drive. Let them see how the 'real' world is - give them a dose of reality. I say 'force', as they will balk I am sure, but make it a family affair so they have to go.

For most,too, I see this phase pass as they grown up and the world smacks them in the face. WHEN/IF mommy and daddy cut off their money supply and they have to start paying their own way, things change - unless they discover credit cards as many do and then another problem begins.

I honestly do not think there is a magic age - it's more about life circumstance and what parents can do to show them the other side of the street. At some point in their young lives, something has to touch their heart to make them change. If not, the behaviour continues and you end up with 60 somethings (MY mother), who drive the best, wear the best, and associate with who they think is only the best (drives my dad nuts). I'm surprised I escaped it when I did!

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
Let's not limit this drama and moodiness to girls either- I have a 15 year old boy who is every bit as moody as a 12 or 13 year old girl.

I've been told they become human again when they hit 18-20.

Since girls mature faster, maybe you can count on 16-17?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post

In a word.... NO!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Let's not limit this drama and moodiness to girls either- I have a 15 year old boy who is every bit as moody as a 12 or 13 year old girl.

I've been told they become human again when they hit 18-20.

Yep, my son is 18 and starting to be come human again. Praise be, I didn't know if I was going to make it.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Oh mercy! That's three more years of misery.
Wish I could honestly tell you that you are on the uphill but it generally gets worse before it gets better

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,142 times
I'd say around 17, but if a kid attends college it matures us quickly.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 PM

Agreed. College (or moving out somewhere among new people) has given exposure to people who were not brought up with similar values and ethics. Was interesting at first but became old fairly quickly. Also, because our dd is not wholly parent-financed she is much more aware of budgets and value of her dollar than her friends whose parent just send money when asked. Amazing how much maturity goes with that!

High school is one huge festival of drama....just warning you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting