Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 PM

287 posts, read 549,210 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna have my fiance read this. He's 27, almost 28, and has told me we HAVE to have a child before he turns 30. I already have 2 girls and he considers them his own, but he thinks he'll be too old to have a baby in his 30s. lol Now that I see people in their 50s have had children, I'll have to put him in his place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Hi all. Just soliciting opinions on a topic that applies to me.

I'm a 39 year old single guy (40 in March), never been married or had kids, but am still very much hoping to do both.

While I've had nothing but good wishes come my way in correlation with marriage, a good portion of people seem to think my ship has sailed for having kids due to my age.

So, I'm basically wondering what others think, and am particularly interested to hear from anyone who might be in a similar situation, or who have actually started families at or after 40.

Thanks!
My wonderful father was 42 when I was born. He lived to be 92 so I was lucky enough to have him in my life for 50 years. He was the best dad in the world.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
when you ask her out she starts laughing.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
No, OP, of course you're not too old to become a dad! I have a guy friend who became a dad at 40-his daughter is the apple of his eye and his princess. His wife's not much younger than him-they just didn't happen to meet and marry till later in life. It's worked out great for them! Go for it if it's your heart's desire.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:33 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
What's the difference in you being 40 and wanting to have kids and a woman whom science has definately proven that it is more dangerous to have kids after 35 having kids? And for the naysayers just ignore them, this is your life not theirs.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,193 times
I think you have to do what YOU feel is right for YOU!

We didn't start a family in our late 30s, but we had another child in our late 30s. I was 37 and my dh was 38. Our older boys at the time were 14, and 10. There was a huge age gap between them, but it was GREAT for our family.

You can't listen to everyone else-ONLY YOU can make that choice to have kids later in life. We just appreciate all the little things in life because of our little guy.

We just seem so much more capable mentally, physically, and financially, this time around.

Personally, I think our little guy keeps us feeling YOUNG!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I became a father earlier this year at age 41. I'm physically active, work out, do cardio daily, eat well, weigh what I should, etc., so I plan to be around for at least 45 years of my twins' lives. And I'm not odd in our neighborhood - our next door neighbor just gave birth to their second child at age 40. We have plenty of other parents around here who are in their late 30s to mid 40s with young children and babies.

Personally, I feel much better equipped to raise children at this age than 20 years ago when I was selfish and immature. Our children do have grandparents (our parents had us both at a young age) but we're not close to our parents, so even if we were young, they wouldn't be part of our children's lives. We're also in a much better financial position to have kids, own a nice home in a great neighborhood, and we're more stable at this age.

I suppose it just depends on the person. The main negative I thought about was that it wouldn't be fair to the children to have parents that would probably die when they were in their 40s, but then I have a friend whose parents both died in their 50s (he was only lower 30s) and he got through it. And then personally, I'm not close to my parents and don't have much to do with them, even though they're only 20 years older than me.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You need to look at where you will be at various stages in their life.

My H.S. girlfriend's father was in his late 70s and was senile by the time she was 17. She was terribly embarrassed by him and did not know him all that well becuase he had been senile for most of her recent memory. He regularly mistook me for his son (and occaisionally as his wife). It was rough on her. It must have been worse for her younger brother.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM

279 posts, read 887,778 times
Ok, I'm going to blow you away here. I had three children with my first husband. We divorced. I remarried a man with no children who desperately wanted one of his own. There is a thirteen year age difference between us. We had our first son together when I was 38 and he was 51. That son will be 5 in a few days. Now the good part. I am pregnant again. I just found out a few weeks ago. I am waiting to surprise my husband for Christmas. I am 43 and he is 57.He will be beyond happy! My older children are 20,17,14 and of course the five year old. He is like the family pet! The older kids will be thrilled as well. So see, it's never too late.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:23 PM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathernichole View Post
I'm gonna have my fiance read this. He's 27, almost 28, and has told me we HAVE to have a child before he turns 30. I already have 2 girls and he considers them his own, but he thinks he'll be too old to have a baby in his 30s. lol Now that I see people in their 50s have had children, I'll have to put him in his place!
my husband was 33 when our oldest was born and he was35 when our other daughtler was born .both of ourdaughtler play with him they chase him and he enjoy every moment with both of the girls he is now 42 even though he has an old injury from frost bite when he was younger he still dose things with them he dosent it let it on he hurts but he has always told me he is glad he had them now and not when he was younger . all on his side his neace and nephews are out of school in their 20s his neace use to complain why couldnt have them when i was younger but you that is another story anyway it dosent matter what age is to have a child both of my daughtlers enjoy being around their dad and my hsband enjoys being around the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting