Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,475 times

Advertisements

Just discovered my teen (16) is not in his bed as he told me he was going to bed...even though it was only 8pm.

He was placed on restriction today for one solid week...I think the motivation for the sneaking out is this girl he likes....anyhow. I suspected he did it and went outside around to his window to sure enough find the screen crooked and his window half open! And our a/c is on 73*...we're just a/c'ing the outside here in FL!

I have now closed/locked his window. And the garage entrance door will be locked as well so that won't work for him.

He made a makeshift fake person in his bed with his head as a football! I'm sorry but it's kind of comical. I guess at this point all I can do is find the comedy in it. I had to come on here and share.

Boy, will he have a surprise when he gets home tonight. I'm not even going to call him to let him know he's 'been found out', I want him to squirm when he gets back....

I guess my husband will be putting those window (with key) locks on his windows this weekend.......afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
We installed an alarm on my daughter's window after we discoverd she had people sneaking in her window. It was the first alarm we installed. Her bedroom was in the basement and in the furtherest corner from our room upstairs so we never heard any of the sneaking in. My husband and I had a plan of what we would do when we started to hear the alarm about to go off. The panel is in our room and it beeps a few times before it starts the real major noise.

She discovered it before we ever got the chance to catch someone trying to sneak in or out so we never got to suprise anyone. Which sorta bummed us as we were so ready for it and was hoping to put the fear of God into her and her friend/s. But it did stop the sneaking in and or out as she knew she would get busted. Within a week we had alarms on all the doors and windows.

She is now 21 and on her own, but we still have three other kids at home and they know they have no chance of being able to sneak out or have anyone sneak in. My husband even made it so the windows can be partially opened at night for fresh air, but any further opened or any closing will set off the alarms.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
Just discovered my teen (16) is not in his bed as he told me he was going to bed...even though it was only 8pm.

He was placed on restriction today for one solid week...I think the motivation for the sneaking out is this girl he likes....anyhow. I suspected he did it and went outside around to his window to sure enough find the screen crooked and his window half open! And our a/c is on 73*...we're just a/c'ing the outside here in FL!

I have now closed/locked his window. And the garage entrance door will be locked as well so that won't work for him.

He made a makeshift fake person in his bed with his head as a football! I'm sorry but it's kind of comical. I guess at this point all I can do is find the comedy in it. I had to come on here and share.

Boy, will he have a surprise when he gets home tonight. I'm not even going to call him to let him know he's 'been found out', I want him to squirm when he gets back....

I guess my husband will be putting those window (with key) locks on his windows this weekend.......afterall.

I would love to see his face when he finds out his goose is cooked.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM

512 posts, read 712,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post

When my mother found out I was sneaking out the window she nailed them shut. So i just went out the back door.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Oh wow! Well, if you find humor in it, I guess your kiddo is an overall good one and you recognize the fact that this was a silly decision.

I think that you should FOCUS on the fact that if tonight he was - hit by a car, hurt or in any sort of trouble - you and his other parent would be in an awful situation, not even knowing where he was in the first place.

I am sure that when he is out you want to know who he is with and where he is, mainly for his safety and your peace of mind.

This is something he should even take when he is off to college, someone (a roomate) should always know where your are!

I can't wait to hear what happens, and remember - we all snuck out at one time - and all grew up to be just fine!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Please keep us posted when he gets home!! Ahhh, the good old days of sneaking out!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,610,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

I can't wait to hear what happens, and remember - we all snuck out at one time - and all grew up to be just fine!

I never snuck out. I was more afraid of my mother catching me than a firing squad!!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I used to sneak out my window all the time when I was a teenager.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
I only snuck out once, when I was about 11, to go to the park around the corner with my friend, we hopped the fence into the wading pool and were playing there with our barbie dolls. It was about 11pm, and I just walked out the front door.

there was no sneaking in or out when I was a teenager, though, as my parents also had an alarm installed that covered the front door and all first floor windows. It beeped in their room whenever it was set off.

Even when I was older, they always knew when I came in.

But really, sneaking out is not the worst thing kids can do. Believe me, whatever they are doing when sneaking in is probably something they can get away with during the day, they just don't want to wait till tomorrow!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
But really, sneaking out is not the worst thing kids can do. Believe me, whatever they are doing when sneaking in is probably something they can get away with during the day, they just don't want to wait till tomorrow!
I agree. If the kids are basically good kids, it's probably more of the thrill of it all rather than what they are actually doing. That said, I never did sneak out - would have been terrified of getting caught. I don't think my kids have - 2nd story windows and a dog that would bark. Sneaking would not be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting