Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you observe the five-second rule?
Heck no! 7 17.95%
Heck yes! 27 69.23%
I object to your use of the word "heck." 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do you observe the five-second rule in your house?

Definition
Five-second rule: If something falls on the floor and is picked up within five seconds, it is still clean.
I look at it this way:

When I walk through the house and spot a cookie on the floor, I ask myself "what would a caveman do?"

A caveman would eat that cookie without a moment's hesitation. In my natural state I would never question whether or not that cookie was still edible, I would just be thankful that I had the good fortune to be the first to find it. Surely humans would never have made it this far if they couldn't tolerate a bit of dirt in the diet. Who am I to go against nature??? I say that cookie is still good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
^^^ What he said.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
If it's a dry food and it falls on the (visibly clean) floor in my own house, it's fair game. Sure, it gets inspected first to make sure it's not horribly gross, but I'm not gonna wig-out about a little fuzz or dog-hair. (Seriously, I live with a Siberian Husky. I've ingested my fair share of dog hair over the years, and it hasn't killed me yet.) If it's a wet food and it falls on the floor, obviously I'm not gonna eat it.

I wouldn't eat anything that fell on the floor of a public space, but I tend to have a high degree of tolerance for my OWN filth.

Germs are good for you. Steady exposure to dirt and germs is like body-building for your immune system.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
In my own house if it is not something wet sure. If it is out in public no way.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I look at it this way:

When I walk through the house and spot a cookie on the floor, I ask myself "what would a caveman do?"

A caveman would eat that cookie without a moment's hesitation. In my natural state I would never question whether or not that cookie was still edible, I would just be thankful that I had the good fortune to be the first to find it. Surely humans would never have made it this far if they couldn't tolerate a bit of dirt in the diet. Who am I to go against nature??? I say that cookie is still good.
Like the saying, "God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt."

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
This is so funny... yes I'd have to say it depends on a few things... like where exactly it landed, what it was, and how recently I scrubbed the floors and such... but for the most part, yep we do the 5-second rule. A little dirt don't hurt!

Outside or most other people's houses though - we toss it. You just never know.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
I observe the 5 second rule with a few clauses.

1. If said object is sticky it must be washable.
2. If said object has hair or dirt on it it must be able to wash off or it no longer qualifies for 5 second rule.
3. If said object is captured by a pet or other critter before the previous owner it is now considered property of said capturer (unless it's chocolate).
4. 5 second rule is only valid for a single occurance. Succeeding contact with the ground results in disqualification.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
if said object is captured by a pet or other critter before the previous owner it is now considered property of said capturer (unless it's chocolate).
lol!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM

24 posts, read 164,795 times
our rule: 5 seconds from the time you actually saw it, no matter how long it has been there.

You all know your kids have eaten cheerios that they "found" in the carseat or under the couch....

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
I wouldn't eat anything of the floor but my son has gotten things of the floor before I got to it. He has also eaten dog food from the dog's bowl.
I saw the Mythbusters episode too and if I remember correctly they also found that the floor inside the house have more bacteria that outside because sunlight kills bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting