Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
In my state everyone working in a nursing home and living in a nursing home MUST have the flu vaccine every year. Kinda like you cannot have TB and work with the elderly or children.
They also encourage the pnuemonia vax.
The doctors in my nursing home can see the obvious numbers. Flu vaccine does NOT prevent flu deaths, especially in elderly.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
that is half correct. From what doctors have told me and by a couple books I have read NO it cannot GIVE you the flu directly. But vaccines in general CAN lower your immune system making it easier for you to get ill. Of the people I know (many by nursing home and children in my large family and the preschool I volunteer at) those that get "more" vaccines including the flu get sick more often than those who don't. Seriously.
Its not "half" true.

Its 100% true.

The flu vaccine does not result in flu....period.

The anecdotal evidence you quote is also contrary to published research...ie that people that get vaccines get sick more often than those that do not...

The opposite is actually true.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
The doctors in my nursing home can see the obvious numbers. Flu vaccine does NOT prevent flu deaths, especially in elderly.
Again...not true.

Recent studie have shown the reduction in death rate of INSTITUTIONALIZED Elderly patients....ie nursing home residents was overstated.

A recently published and well done study of COMMUNITY DWELLING elderly showed a significant reduction in pneumonia, hospitalization and deaths in the flu vaccinated population.

NEJM -- Effectiveness of Influenza Vaccine in the Community-Dwelling Elderly

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
We did all of the vaccines for our kids but we don't do the flu shot. I was reluctant about the whole vaccine thing and it is indeed a tough decision. In the end, I decided to trust my doctor's and the AAP's recommendations. I do think they have the children's best interest at heart and it's not all about "Big Pharma" as some believe. But it is a tough decision and I respect a parent's right to withhold the vaccinations.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
What? Maybe the ""doctors"" at that nursing home need a little schooling on the biology of the flu. Have they looked at the MMWR? EVER? Moderator cut: partial cut
I work at a hospital and unvaxed elderly people die all the time from the flu. Your misinformed. Moderator cut: partial cut

I know there are states that are now putting laws into effect about the flu vax. My SIL just had a baby. Her step children were not aloud anywhere near that maternity ward unless if they were vaxed against the flu and had documentation to present when they arrived. And rightfully so.

You get more mercury circulating in your system from your gym shoes, fish consumption and just breathing outside air...Time to point the finger in another direction. Don't you think if there was a direct link between mercury and autism it would be easy to prove? Why do you think it is mandatory for most healthcare workers to get the flu vax?

Families Fighting Flu

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-17-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
By the time you are elderly you have caught many strains of colds but i had not heard of the flu. Older people don't get a lot of colds because they recycle and they have been around long enough to get them. I thought flu virus were all new?

None the less in my state if you work or live in a nursing home, you are told to get a vax for it or you cannot live nor work there.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
What? Maybe the ""doctors"" at that nursing home need a little schooling on the biology of the flu. Have they looked at the MMWR? EVER? That is about the most ingnorant statement I have ever heard. Not to mention down right scarey. I frankly don't believe you...but whatever makes you feel better...
I work at a hospital and unvaxed elderly people die all the time from the flu. Your misinformed. You probably think the flu is a GI problem too...right?

I know there are states that are now putting laws into effect about the flu vax. My SIL just had a baby. Her step children were not aloud anywhere near that maternity ward unless if they were vaxed against the flu and had documentation to present when they arrived. And rightfully so.

You get more mercury circulating in your system from your gym shoes, fish consumption and just breathing outside air...Time to point the finger in another direction. Don't you think if there was a direct link between mercury and autism it would be easy to prove? Why do you think it is mandatory for most healthcare workers to get the flu vax?

Families Fighting Flu

Never even mentioned autism and mercury. I don't vaccinate against some disease because they just don't work!

More and more people/elderly have been getting the flu each and every year, yet the deaths numbers have NOT gone down. I can see it for myself on the cdc website. You can compare EACH flu season with pediatric and elderly deaths and hospitalizations.

There is research on both sides with this one. I just tend to lean towards the side that you do not. And so do many people that I know including some doctors around me.

Many of the elderly in my building are on Vit D supplements and hardly get sick. Weather permitting we have more outdoor activities than most I've worked at.

At one of our meetings the doctors read outloud a letter from HMO thanking us for (not in their words exactly) how LITTLE his patients got sick!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
What? Maybe the ""doctors"" at that nursing home need a little schooling on the biology of the flu. Have they looked at the MMWR? EVER? That is about the most ingnorant statement I have ever heard. Not to mention down right scarey. I frankly don't believe you...but whatever makes you feel better...
I work at a hospital and unvaxed elderly people die all the time from the flu. Your misinformed. You probably think the flu is a GI problem too...right?

Families Fighting Flu
Danielle, Many people have TRIED to prove that there is a link between mercury poisoning and autism and although their proof was solid (and the pharmaceutical companies knew it) it has been buried by reconfigured statistics. You are always very vocal about YOUR personal stance on vaccines, but really you are just believing what you are told by the people who make and market the vaccines.

I just finished reading a great book (not an anti-vaccine book by any means-- it says in the first chapter that mandatory vaccines are essential to our continued health and safety) called Evidence of Harm. It goes into GREAT detail about how these pharma companies and doctors KNEW for decades that mercury was a neurotoxin and harming people--especially children. Thimerisol was removed from topical products because it was KNOWN to cause harm. They KNEW you shouldn't be applying it to YOUR SKIN, yet they were injecting into our children.

Before you continue spouting off again about how there is NO possible way that vaccines and autism are linked, do some research that is not put out by vaccine patent holders and doctors. You might be forced to eat some crow!

Also, many parents (myself included) are not nearly as concerned about autism as other issues with vaccines. Autism always seems to be your fall-back argument. I worry more about other autoimmune disorders that are on the rise-- autism is the LEAST of my concern!

Moderator cut: partial cut

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-17-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Danielle, Many people have TRIED to prove that there is a link between mercury poisoning and autism and although their proof was solid (and the pharmaceutical companies knew it) it has been buried by reconfigured statistics. You are always very vocal about YOUR personal stance on vaccines, but really you are just believing what you are told by the people who make and market the vaccines.

I just finished reading a great book (not an anti-vaccine book by any means-- it says in the first chapter that mandatory vaccines are essential to our continued health and safety) called Evidence of Harm. It goes into GREAT detail about how these pharma companies and doctors KNEW for decades that mercury was a neurotoxin and harming people--especially children. Thimerisol was removed from topical products because it was KNOWN to cause harm. They KNEW you shouldn't be applying it to YOUR SKIN, yet they were injecting into our children.

Before you continue spouting off again about how there is NO possible way that vaccines and autism are linked, do some research that is not put out by vaccine patent holders and doctors. You might be forced to eat some crow!

Also, many parents (myself included) are not nearly as concerned about autism as other issues with vaccines. Autism always seems to be your fall-back argument. I worry more about other autoimmune disorders that are on the rise-- autism is the LEAST of my concern!

If you don't like what I have to say then stop reading my posts. I am tired of parents looking for some kind justification because they decided to forgo life saving vaccines. You can spout all you want about 'big pharma' but the numbers are there..WORLD WIDE. Big Pharma has no say in 3rd world countries where vaccines have been intrododuced and have saved millions of lives. And...Tired arguments? Autism being caused by vaccines is the most tired argument there is. Not only is it redundant it has no scientific backround and it just does not stop. The conspiracy theory people try to come up with is stunning too. Like the entire medical field has knowledge of all side effects, but they want money so they just don't care about your kids health at all. Why they vaccinate their own kids on schedule. I am not being judgemental...this is my personal opinion. If you don't like it, put me on ignore. This board if full of people who vary in opinions on alot of things.

Until you can site links to the "reconfigured statistics" your spouting is just that...I have done plently of research on this subject. I am a mother and I am medically trained...as is my husband. Are you? Or are you believing and obviously practicing the words of "The Evidence of Harm" ...that sounds like a very reliable source for health safety...I am sure the author is not out to make a buck on fear mongering the parents of infants either...right? Your big pharma theory works both ways...and if you think for a second people are not capitalizing on the parents who forgo vaccines...think again.

People started to dodge vaccines due to the claim it caused autism...People are still doing so with no evidence to back their claim. What auto immune disorders are you concerned with that are caused by vaccines?

ETA...You say I am redundant? Why are you still beefing about mercury in vaccines? It was removed from most of them in the late 90's? That is why I say time to point the finfer in another direction...If they really were intentionally injecting our kids with mercury to hurt them, don't you think they have the ability to cover that info (with more reconfigured stats) up and keep the mercury in them? Because all they want to do is hurt our kids right? And make money.... I think it is obvious who has the tired, echoing argument... mercury = autism...and the mercury has been gone for years.

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-17-2009 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
I am tired of parents looking for some kind justification because they decided to forgo life saving vaccines.Autism being caused by vaccines is the most tired argument there is. Not only is it redundant it has no scientific backround and it just does not stop.
Do you have a child who is autistic? Not a friend, or know someone but do you?

Quote:
The conspiracy theory people try to come up with is stunning too. Like the entire medical field has knowledge of all side effects, but they want money so they just don't care about your kids health at all.Until you can site links to the "reconfigured statistics" your spouting is just that...I have done plently of research on this subject. I am a mother and I am medically trained...as is my husband. Are you?
Are you a doctor? your husband one too?

Quote:
If they really were intentionally injecting our kids with mercury to hurt them, don't you think they have the ability to cover that info (with more reconfigured stats) up and keep the mercury in them? Because all they want to do is hurt our kids right? And make money.... I think it is obvious who has the tired, echoing argument... mercury = autism...and the mercury has been gone for years.
Who says it's to hurt them? FACT is they did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting