Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:30 AM

16 posts, read 132,766 times

Advertisements

It's not about the cat Myth as much is it about all aniamls can kill.If one person wants to ban a breed of dog because the media said it was a pit bull that did it.Why not just ban all aniamls,guns and people.Because everything and any one has the possiablty to kill to be aggerasive toward another and harm them even a cat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ates-baby.html

Last edited by askdc; 01-09-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
IMO, owning a pitbull is like purchasing an automobile that is very well known to explode/crap out/start fire while driving on the freeway. I don't understand why anyone would want to take such a risk. Sure, all animals have the potential to kill (even the cute ones), but why pick a dog (out of millions of other worthy breeds in shelters) that has such a reputation? My thoughts are that if you choose a breed that was bred for fighting/killing to the death, then why would anyone consider this breed a good match for your family pet? Cute or not, I wouldn't take a risk like that around children OR adults.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Every dog as the possaiblty of fighting and killing to the death.It is not the breed it is the person that raised the dog.This breed as been around for many years.They were know as "the nanny dog" because the children could bit, tug and lay on them and the dog simple did nothing.People who want to jugde this aniamls with not knowing nothing about them should read the real truth on them should say nothing nagative about them.You simple don't like the breed because of there mistaken for every other terrior out there the pit get the blame not matter what.Did you know half the vets can't even tell a full blooded Terrior to APBT.So they asume the Terrior a mix breed is a APBT.

And I have three childern and have a pit bull.The frist died of old age I adopted when he was 4 months.The dog was great around my kids.Never growling or nipping at them.And the pit I have now is the same very good well trained well behaved PIT BULL.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
A reputation is just that. A reputation.
I am Irish and have a reputation for been a blithering drunk idiot who fights alot. Is that true ? Nope. Does not stop people from presuming it. I am also presumed to be in the IRA too which isnt true. Wanna ban the Irish too ? hehe

Staffs are fantastic with kids and of socalised with other animals too.
What gets me is in the news family pet is always thrown out there. Sure they say it was a family bet. But was it chained up all its life ? Was it socalised ? When I went home two Christmas's ago a Staff, also a family dog killed a child. Was all over the news for a couple of weeks.

One website I found later reported that it was A) Always outside or locked in a room. It was a gard dog. 2) The guy sold drugs 3) The person was smoking weed around hte dog when the attack happend. You never know what affect that would have on the system of a dog. But yet it was still portrayed by everybody else as a family dog.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM

The Pit Bull Today
Today the American pit bull terrier is under siege. While drug dealers and dog fighters torture these dogs by forcing them to fight or guard drugs, the public, unaware of their suffering, often brand the APBT a criminal. This label frequently includes any dog which looks like somebody’s idea of a pit bull. And too often, any dog of any breed that attacks a person is called a pit bull.

Animal Farm Foundation | A Popular History of the Pit Bull in America (http://animalfarmfoundation.org/item.php?item=68 - broken link)

All it takes if for these stero type to quite judgeing and wanting to ban this breed simiple because of the one person has said it was a pit bull attack when a realty they have no clue what breed it was.It is not the breeds fault that it's owner left him out side or hit and kick they dog.Why should my dog by banned because he is a pit a good family dog a loyal aniaml for centurys.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
A reputation is just that. A reputation.
I am Irish and have a reputation for been a blithering drunk idiot who fights alot. Is that true ? Nope. Does not stop people from presuming it. I am also presumed to be in the IRA too which isnt true. Wanna ban the Irish too ? hehe

Staffs are fantastic with kids and of socalised with other animals too.
What gets me is in the news family pet is always thrown out there. Sure they say it was a family bet. But was it chained up all its life ? Was it socalised ? When I went home two Christmas's ago a Staff, also a family dog killed a child. Was all over the news for a couple of weeks.

One website I found later reported that it was A) Always outside or locked in a room. It was a gard dog. 2) The guy sold drugs 3) The person was smoking weed around hte dog when the attack happend. You never know what affect that would have on the system of a dog. But yet it was still portrayed by everybody else as a family dog.
I could never ban the Irish! My husband is Irish (he does get banned from the bedroom) when he's being a blathering drunken idiot though (so perhaps he's a one off!) So I couldn't totally agree with ya' there Brian

Old 01-09-2009, 10:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Any dog will bite, but pit bull mixes, Rottweilers and Presa Canarios cause more fatalities.

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

From the article:
What I've been trying to say all along can be summarized by this excerpt of what you posted:

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."

It seems like studies such as these are always dismissed by people--who understandably love their dogs--as "hysteria," "indoctrination" and "media frenzy." And then they lapse back into statements about how sweet their pit bulls are and how they were bitten once as a child by a chihuahua, and they ignore the point altogether. The point isn't that pit bulls are more likely to bite than any other kind of dog (that's false, actually). The point IS that when they DO bite, people die.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM

The Bulldog was known at this time as the “nanny dog” because children could hang on to their tails and ears, poke them with sticks, or any other form of childlike torture and the Bulldogs would merely wag their tails harder. This trait has passed to well-bred APBTs as well.

In the APBT, as a breed, we see primarily two types of aggression: competitive aggression and dominant aggression. These forms of aggression are natural and very common in a wide range of animals from humans to birds. Competitive and dominant aggressions are also common in all canines, including the APBT, and are natural, controllable, and certainly not the worst aggressive tendency for canines to possess.

• dog toward dog aggression
Even though competitive and dominant aggressions are perfectly normal for all canines, without question, a well bred, well trained and well socialized APBT, no matter what the bloodlines (germlines), will not have overt or uncontrollable aggressive issues toward other dogs. This is likely hard to believe these days, and many novice and pit bull fighter wanna-be owners feel that overt aggression is a good thing. Poorly bred, poorly trained, under socialized dogs, or dogs that are trained to display such behaviors by idiot owners, are when we typically see these overt problems occurring.

Can Pit Bulls "turn" on people?In fact, no breed of dog does. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. Pit Bulls are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.

A few fact on APBT

Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I don't think that anyone is saying that Pit Bull breeds and mixes are more likely to bite than any other breed--just that their bites are more deadly.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdc View Post
Why are there more deadly.
Why do you suppose people use them as fighting dogs to begin with? Why don't the thugs just go about abusing and angering the a dalmatian, poodle or silky terrier? Why do you think that they get a bad rap? Anyway, this is on the parenting board... not the "pets" board do you have children yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting