Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times

Advertisements

Sometimes parenting is so frustrating till I want to move to the moon alone. However, today I had one of those moments when your child truly moves u and warms your heart. Have u ever had one of these moments please tell me about it. If we can share our frustrations, it is only right we share our joys too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I take care of a family member with Alzheimer's Disease and most every day is challenging and stressful. Today I had ran a thousand miles and simply was exhausted. Way too tired to put perishable food in the frig. after I had spent a long time at the store doing the shopping. My teen son saw I had gone as far as I could and he did something that made me cry tears of joy. Maybe he does get it. Maybe I am doing something right. This kid took care of our family member with Alzheimer's while I was passed out with fatigue. Mind u this is no easy task. And cooked dinner and served it. I don't mean hot dogs either. This young man prepared from scratch a scrumptious hearty Beef Stew full of chopped veggies. Seasoned it to perfection. And made the best cornbread I ever tasted. He didn't make it from Jiffy Mix either. He made it the way my grandmother use to make it. When I finally awoke, he had gotten our family member up to the bathroom and cleaned up and fed. Oh and he put the groceries away too. I am elated and appreciative. I needed the help and my teen stepped in and saved the day. He is my hero. I love being a mom and I have really good teen sometimes. Here's hoping the moment lasts

Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 AM

151 posts, read 798,570 times
Awwww.....you sure must be doing something right! BTW, I just loved the other thread last night.....had a few good chuckles, but was too tired to post my own. (I have 4 boys)

You know what they say......the days are long, but the years fly by. Give that dear teen a squeeze today, and then duck and run for cover....cuz you KNOW there are rarely two days of great behavior strung together!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
That's nice. My oldest is only 3 years old but when she does something sweet and selfless like your son, it melts my heart too. I'm glad he made you feel good

Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
It's when you see those glimpses of the young adult you know they will eventually become that you have to hang on to when they suddenly slip back into being a teenager .

They have those moments and you think, "why can't they be like that all of the time?" - but let's face it - it's not possible. But you have to see that you are doing something so right. Your son obviously has a trait that many don't have - empathy.

When they do amazing things as little ones it's incredible, but when they do them as teens....I don't know, I think it's even a better feeling.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Congrats! You must be doing something right!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I volunteer in my kids schools almost every day of the school week. On Wednesdays after I finish volunteering in my youngest sons classroom, I always stay and have lunch with him. There's a little boy who has been in and out of different foster care homes, and who has a lot of problems due to his hard life, and being so starved for love and attention, he sticks like glue to me on the days I am there for lunch. He sits right next to me or right across from me and just talks and talks and asks me all kinds of questions. I love talking with him. He is the sweetest boy and I feel bad for the situation he was born into. But I was worried that my son would feel bad in some way, because I was supposed to be having lunch with him, and I felt like I should be focusing more attention on him during our lunch together. While this other boy gets most of my attention during Wednesday's lunches, my son usually sits quietly and eats his lunch or talks with his other friends at the table.

Sometimes this other little boy doesn't even have a lunch. On those days, I buy him lunch. I have mentioned this to the teacher and she explained that he is supposed to be on the free school lunch program. There seems to be some confusion there that I've been trying to figure out. As I'm not his guardian, though, they can't tell me much and I feel like I can't do too much - other than simply buy him his lunch on those days. On the days he does bring his lunch, it's usually gross... yesterday it was a frozen lunch that needed to be microwaved. It looked like leftovers from dinner. There are no microwaves for the kids to use. It's just a really sad situation.

Anyway - so yesterday when I picked my son up from school, I had a talk with him about all this. I told him that I loved having lunch with him even though we didn't get to talk much because of the other boy having so much to talk about, and my being distracted by this other little boy and just trying to make sure he had a good lunch and everything on the days I'm there. (It's against the school district rules for me to bring him a homemade lunch, otherwise I'd just do that...) My son goes, "It's OK mom, he has a sad life. I get you all the time but he only gets you on Wednesdays for 15 minutes."

It just made me feel really happy... that my son understood and also just seemed to have compassion for this boy and his hard situation. Just hearing that "I get you all the time..." like it was a huge wonderful privilege that he really enjoys... it made me feel really good to be a mom!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I take care of a family member with Alzheimer's Disease and most every day is challenging and stressful. Today I had ran a thousand miles and simply was exhausted. Way too tired to put perishable food in the frig. after I had spent a long time at the store doing the shopping. My teen son saw I had gone as far as I could and he did something that made me cry tears of joy. Maybe he does get it. Maybe I am doing something right. This kid took care of our family member with Alzheimer's while I was passed out with fatigue. Mind u this is no easy task. And cooked dinner and served it. I don't mean hot dogs either. This young man prepared from scratch a scrumptious hearty Beef Stew full of chopped veggies. Seasoned it to perfection. And made the best cornbread I ever tasted. He didn't make it from Jiffy Mix either. He made it the way my grandmother use to make it. When I finally awoke, he had gotten our family member up to the bathroom and cleaned up and fed. Oh and he put the groceries away too. I am elated and appreciative. I needed the help and my teen stepped in and saved the day. He is my hero. I love being a mom and I have really good teen sometimes. Here's hoping the moment lasts
Wow, that beef stew and cornbread is making my mouth water! You should be very proud of him and to even take care of the family member, you are doing something right! Plus, maybe he found his calling in one of these things he did! KUDOS to all of you for pulling it together!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,385 times
It's so nice to see some warmth and love in a world sometimes so filled with hatred and selfishness.

Your stories just warm my heart! What wonderful parents you folks must be. I am so glad I stopped by.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post

Wow, that's a great son you have there. How incredibly thoughtful! High fives to both of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting