Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
thanks for taking this seriously. I usually dont mind the cold temperatures it is just the little ones that have to walk and stand out at the bus stop that I show concern forl.
I am just the opposite-the little kids will wear snow pants, hats, mittens, scarves, etc. It's the high school kids that refuse to wear a hat or mittens that are in danger. Yes, my kids go to school in this weather. Our governor closed all the schools in the state about 12 years ago when the wind chills and temps combined for -60° but that is about it. We were at -24° with a -40° windchill yesterday morning and the school was 2 hours late-really for no reason other then the parents that called and complained the day before when it was -22° and -40° wind chill and school opened on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
I can totally understand not wanting to send young kids out in extremely cold temps. especially if one is not used to having extremely cold temps. that often. But if that is the case the schools are most likely going to use good judgment on whether or not to be open or have delays. If they close or delay school then they feel it is not safe for kids to be out in the weather, but if they stay open or open on time then they feel it is safe enough. I know around here on days where there is a two hour delay it's not always condusive for some parents to wait around to get their kids off to school two hours later, (usually because they have to be at work by 8:00 or 9:00) so they allow parents to drop off their kids early on their way to work and the school finds a way to keep them entertained and busy inside from the cold until school starts. Even with late start days the staff still has to be there as if it was a normal day.

If you are concerned about young kids having to stand out at bus stops in extreme cold or walk to school in extreme cold, then do something about it. Contact the teachers or principals and get in touch with the parents of the kids who you see freezing and offer either a warm spot in your car to sit and wait or offer to give rides. You get enough people willing to do this, then there wouldn't be any kids having to endure the cold while trying to get to and from school. Maybe you could get folks to start car pools, or offer a spot in their homes close to a bus stop for kids to wait. Any and all volunteers should have a background check done, and I'm sure any honest & safe person won't mind.

I know most of the kids and their parents in my neighborhood. A few years ago we had a Jr. High age boy that had to walk about a block (we have short blocks) up to the bus stop that is right in front of my house. If he would get there and had even 5 mins. to wait in extremely cold temps. I always invited him in to wait where it was warm until the bus came. We can see the bus coming ahead of time and I could send them out when the bus got close enough. If I have to take my kids because the bus is behind schedual or has a stupid substitute who forgets that they have one more bus stop to make before they head to school (which has happened a few times) then I always stop to offer rides to the youngsters across the street.

We are lucky to have a bus stop so close to our schools here in WY. (we only live about 4-5 blocks from the elem. school my younger kids go to, my Jr. High and High school kids ride the same bus as their younger siblings) when I lived in MT it was set in most towns that if you lived within two miles of the school your kids attended then they were walkers. Well the parents in my neighborhood had a car pooling system and we each took turns getting the kids to and from school so they didn't have to walk. The area we lived didn't give them a lot of safe sidewalks to walk on and it wasn't a smart idea for them to walk on the streets. So it wasn't just for cold weather when we implemented the car pooling.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We were at -24° with a -40° windchill yesterday morning and the school was 2 hours late-really for no reason other then the parents that called and complained the day before when it was -22° and -40° wind chill and school opened on time.
It might also have been to make sure the school was warmed up before the kids got there.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am just the opposite-the little kids will wear snow pants, hats, mittens, scarves, etc. It's the high school kids that refuse to wear a hat or mittens that are in danger. Yes, my kids go to school in this weather. Our governor closed all the schools in the state about 12 years ago when the wind chills and temps combined for -60° but that is about it.
Hey--I was in my first year of college that year in the far, far north of the state. Our "dorm" was only about 20 feet from the cafetaria entrance to the school. My friends and I got up, went to go for breakfast, only to find the whole school empty! We were amazed that the school was closed because of cold!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
It might also have been to make sure the school was warmed up before the kids got there.
No, we have heat in our buildings here. It was probably due to the diesel fuel in the buses congealing or something.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,874 times
We live in Fairbanks, Alaska and the kids go to school regardless of the temps. A couple weeks ago when we were in the middle of the horrible cold snap with temps around 55 below the kids still went to school. They are allowed to play outside until 20 below.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
We live in Fairbanks, Alaska and the kids go to school regardless of the temps. A couple weeks ago when we were in the middle of the horrible cold snap with temps around 55 below the kids still went to school. They are allowed to play outside until 20 below.
Wow. I can't even imagine such temperatures. Can you describe what it feels like?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
I lived in Alaska from 53 to 78. My brother is a bag carrying mailman there right now. At that low a temperature, you feel like your eyeballs will freeze. I still walked between dorm room and classrooms in Fairbanks during college but we wore Army parkas, heavy lined boots and many pairs of things. Never have experienced cold like that in the Lower 48 states.

I walked to school, jr. high in Anchorage, for 1.5 miles each morning and night while in that school. We only had a bus if we lived about 2 blocks farther from the school. So a total 3 mile walk each day. Mom did not have a car but once every two weeks for grocery shopping so walking was the only thing available. Whole family walked. My knees got frostbite once because I was too stupid to wear the snowpants that day. Back in the 60s, girls could not wear pants in school even in Alaska.

But proper cold weather clothes are not expensive. Good parka, lined pants, warm socks/boots and gloves and something to cover the face when there is wind. Keep moving and you will generate energy.

In elementary school we were about 4 blocks away and you could not keep us inside during recess. We walked to school for the whole 6 years.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:57 AM

338 posts, read 559,673 times
I think its fine to send kids to school in sub zero temperatures, as long as they are appropriately dressed by the parents.

However, when elementary school children (or older school children) are sent out for recess in -15 degree F wind chill, a couple without a winter hat, it makes you go hmmmm. What is the upside to this scenario?

Is there any parent out there who thinks it is okay for elementary school children (or specifically their child) to be out in 0 to -20 windchill without a winter hat (and a thin jacket hood over their head)?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
Back in the 60s, girls could not wear pants in school even in Alaska

Lord I remember freezing my butt off when we all had to wear skirts. And this was in N.C. Such a stupid rule. When I went back to college in 1976 as an adult I asked the admissions director if women could wear pants on campus. He almost fell off his chair laughing. he was young and had never heard such a stupid remark.
So glad times have changed. I don't think I have worn a skirt in 20 years-hot or cold outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting