Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on men who choose to be stay-at-home dads? How do you think society views these men (and their wives)? I was an at-home dad for three and a half years and miss it so much. However going back to work was a vacation of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
thats me come August, working out of home office raising my little daughter

Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I've met quite a few stay-at-home dads and they were great! I love the fact that men in general seem so much more involved with children now than they were when I was little.
I am not sure how society views these dads, but the ones I know seem very secure in their masculinity.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:40 PM

i think most of us, with a healthy sense of ourselves and secure with our masculinity dont really care what the world thinks, any more than what office park dads care what people think about them.

I am happy to stay at home, I still do my work, still provide for my family-and I get to be a positive constant in my daughters life, hmmmm cant get better than that. Can still go golfing, can still fish and hunt, can still protect my home---my worry is for the men who think they have to prove something, who are not secure with themselves and in the working world, the SHEEP of this world

Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
I loved my time with my kids. It's different now that they're in school. I wouldn't change a thing about my time at home. I will admit it was the hardest job I've ever done. It's a 24/7 position and you get little thanks at times...but if you can look past it being a job and remember that you're preparing them for the future, instilling solid values and lots and lots of extra love in them then you'll see how worth it, it is. I was involved in a fantastic dad's group here in the Twin cities. Many dad's groups exist around the country. The group I was involved in had playgroups for the kids, dads nights out each month and a forum board on Yahoo!. It really helped to realize I wasn't the only guy out there doing this.

If I could go home again I probably would. I do enjoy being with other adults on a daily basis, but I do miss the PB&J's, Disney channel, playtime and just lots of lovin' on my little guy.

Being a dad is the best part of my life! My wife knows she's first and foremost, so when I tell the kids they are the most important person in my life I get smiles that just keep going....and from my wife too! To all who do this, enjoy every moment...and as carolina said...don't worry about what others think. Only be concerned about your wife and kids. And support her every move in her career.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM

i hear ya Hossier and your story will mentor us new dads. I was wondering about the Dad groups, I thought about looking into them but since I live in an urban area I am not really sure we will share the same values and I dont want my daughter picking up bad habits at a young age--gonna see if there might be one starting at church.

the guys in my city and neigborhood are a bit too feminine,so i dont think it iwll be easy finding masculine dads--but we will probably move to a place with more of our values soon as she come anyhow

thanks for a great story

Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Admire them. "Society" should, too.

Pampers melt in Maytag dryer, crayons go up 1 drawer higher, rewind Barney for the 16th time ...B'fast 6, naps @ 9 ....There's bubblegum in the baby's hair, sweet potatoes in my lazy chair ...How much smoke can one stove make, the kids won't eat my charcoal cake ...

(BIG LoneStar fan :>)

Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
I admire you fellows for this.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I love stay at home dads, and I feel that, if it is even remotely possible, that at least one parent sohuld stay at home with the kids. Your interaction with your children cannot be substituted by daycares and extracurricular activities. Who gives a d amn what other people think of how you raise your children? Men shouldn't half to prove their masculinity by supporting their familes, anything else is bull. Thats my two cents
Minnehahapolitan-----

Old 03-10-2007, 01:12 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
What are your thoughts on men who choose to be stay-at-home dads? How do you think society views these men (and their wives)? I was an at-home dad for three and a half years and miss it so much. However going back to work was a vacation of sorts.
I think stay-at-home dads are great, if that's what the parents think is best. My sister and her husband are considering that, since she makes better money & enjoys working more than he does... he's also more "domestic", aside from the cooking, and would be much more content at home. Not that staying home with kids is easy, but my sister is just too restless and neurotic to be there all day! It's the 21st century, and at least around here, people really don't care who stays home... sadly, many families don't have either option, since our cost-of-living is so expensive. As for myself, I'd rather be the one to stay at home, or at least work only part-time. Being a parent is the most important (and most underpaid, lol) job in the world, and I'd rather do that any "real" job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting