Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times

Advertisements

Maybe I just need support, b/c I have read other posts....but I'm going crazy!!
My daughter is 2 1/2. I tried putting her in 'pretty' underwear and was so patient at first with the toilet thing. Told her to tell us when she has to go, brought her often ( only for her to get off and go in her pants 20mn later ), etc. She can wake up from naps in the diaper dry, often in the morning from sleeping all night too. When she does make it to the toilet it seems like sheer luck! I've tried a 'goody bag' with stickers, Hershey kisses, etc., a 'prize' of something fun to do that day, a star chart , even a balerina music box that only 'big girls' that wear underwear can have. Now I"m thinking I should go the opposite- just a quiet praise for going on the toilet. In the meantime...my blood boils as I put the 7th outfit in the wash, scrub the carpet of pee, etc....Now I find myself saying " no movies today if you pee again in your pants! " Not helpful, I guess
I really never intended this to be a big deal, but I really need help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
With my youngest son I finally resorted to letting him be naked for about a week. He was dry in am, dry at naps etc...still wouldn't use the toilet. I set up the training potty in in the living room, took away all diapers, pullups, underwear etc. and he was naked for the week. It worked. Don't know why but it did. Good luck to you. Potty training was the hardest thing I had to go through.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
My daughter is 2 1/2. I tried putting her in 'pretty' underwear and was so patient at first with the toilet thing. Told her to tell us when she has to go, brought her often ( only for her to get off and go in her pants 20mn later ), etc. She can wake up from naps in the diaper dry, often in the morning from sleeping all night too. When she does make it to the toilet it seems like sheer luck! I've tried a 'goody bag' with stickers, Hershey kisses, etc., a 'prize' of something fun to do that day, a star chart , even a balerina music box that only 'big girls' that wear underwear can have. Now I"m thinking I should go the opposite- just a quiet praise for going on the toilet. In the meantime...my blood boils as I put the 7th outfit in the wash, scrub the carpet of pee, etc....Now I find myself saying " no movies today if you pee again in your pants! " Not helpful, I guess
I just had a very lengthy conversation this afternoon with a friend whose 2yr daughter does basically the same thing as your daughter.

One word: control

She has the control. She wants to keep it.

She is also getting negative attention now & sometimes, kids seems to relish in this behavior b/c it gets more attention & for longer periods than doing the right thing.

She's 2 1/2. She's not that young nor that old.

How long have you been potty training? Did you start small or did you start with everything all at once?

Also, too many variables have come into the picture. She gets praise, stickers, rewards, then in trouble, etc...no consistency..hence, why, she is probably just regressing to an extent.

Take some time off with the potty training. A week or so. Don't talk about it.

Wake up one morning with the mindset that YOU will get your daughter potty trained.

Start small. When she gets up, take her to the potty. Same thing at lunch & dinner. She is going to say she does not have to go potty. Still put her on the potty & don't negotiate. At least this is setting up routine.

And put her on the big toilet. You can buy a seat that fits over the big toilet. Don't waste time or money on toilets that sing & dance for her!

Once YOU are confident, have her wear big girl panties throughout the day. She wets, don't yell at her. Change her & put big girl panties back on.
Keep putting her on the potty. Smile. No need to go into excess conversation. What she is learning is expected, not a choice.

Just take things slow, at a small level, and less extreme reaction either way...more middle of the road.

It took me about 1 month to potty train my son & we started when he was about 2 3/4's. 5 months later we are just starting on naptime. After that is conquered, night time...

It's not something that can be rushed & accidents will & do happen. She is young. If she was 5, that's a different story.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times
I do daycare so I have potty trained many children. I usually have the children go to the potty every 1/2 hour or so and sit on it for a couple of minutes. If they are interested, I will offer them a book(usually a book about using the potty) that is for the bathroom only. Once they start peeing on the potty they get stickers on their sticker chart.

I don't ask them if they need to go, I just say "Let's go potty" or "It's time to go potty". I don't ask kids a question that they don't really have a say in the answer. I also start them out with their diapers and when they are beginning to understand the whole concept and are able to use the potty, then I put them in underpants.

I agree with the poster who said that she is probably resisting because she is getting negative attention. If she has an accident, just clean her up and don't make a big deal out of it. When she goes on the potty, that's when you make it a big deal. It does take time and accidents are going to happen but that's how they will learn.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM

47 posts, read 78,082 times
Default Nothing to worry

[quote=Liza54;7029991]Maybe I just need support, b/c I have read other posts....but I'm going crazy!!
When you wanna change a habit , it is not easy. Specially with kids. B/C now she is used to the diaper. Do not worry.Let her continue the mistake again and again.You have to wait for weeks to see the change. Dont worry.......

Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 AM

151 posts, read 798,814 times
Let it go for a while and wait till she is closer to 3. My first took MONTHS AND MONTHS to train (we started at 2 1/2) and my other 3 kids were trained in TWO days (seriously), but they were about 3 years old.

Oh, and do not use the pull ups.....invest in those old fashioned cotton training pants and a couple of those rubber pants. They will NOT like to be wet and will "get it" when they have an accident.....pull ups are just like diapers in that the kids don't get the icky wet feeling....they are too absorbent.

Just my 2 cents. I know everyone has their own thing, but waiting a bit worked wonders for us.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
just my 2 cents also,I know all kids are different and parents wants and patience are different.But all 3 of my kids[boys and girl] trained in a couple of days after turning 3. I put way too much time and energy into my oldest,only to just end up waiting until he decided to do it when he was ready.[at 3]

Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,943 times
My daughter was daytime pee trained when she turned 2 but I didn't even try for nighttimes, I put her in pullups. What *I* had the long issues with was the poop training. And I felt much like you do and it was tiring.

Honestly I tried everything.....and she would still go in her pants, and she would announce it ahead of time "I have to go and I won't use the potty, I will use my pants".

All I can say I just had to let her grow out of it. I stayed consistent, worked with her every single time, it was frustrating and seemed neverending. Finally at 3 and a half, she just did it, and that was that.

The only advice I can offer is try not to let your frustration show and realize it will resolve in time. I had friends who put their kids back in training pullups after the kids were in underwear, just to alleviate some of the laundry and cleanup. I don't see anything wrong with this, it will help you (some people feel it will cause the kid to revert back, but I don't think it does). So maybe you can do this-- put her underwear on and then put a pullup on over that, so when she wets it will save you from the mess but she will feel uncomofrtable and wet, and realize she needs to go potty. Maybe this will help.

But really, it's just time. Some kids just do it early, and some just take their own time.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Potty training is one of the most stressful things as a parent. My son was horrible! I tried everything, from sticker charts, to running around naked, to putting toys on the back of the toilet as a reward.

Needless to say, everyone told me when he was ready, he would do it. I thought I could push him into it, but he didn't budge.

So, my advice to you is give your daughter time and she will do it when she is ready. I did this with my daughter, she was potty trained at 18 months, decided she wasn't doing it anymore after a few weeks, and then again just after two, she decided she was done with diapers. It was SO much easier than pushing her!!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
You sound like me right at that age. So I let it go but at 34 months, we did it in 3 days. Four months makes a difference. Right now she knows what needs to be done on the potty but her body may not know WHEN she NEEDS to go. For those 3 days we stayed home, she only wore panties, and I had a huge bag waiting for her to open at the end of day one if she had no accidents. She liked that! Like the other posters, I made her go every 30 minutes for the first two hours, then we went every hour. We went after meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting