Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM

396 posts, read 1,034,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMom7 View Post
A tough question I know, but how do you think you would react if your child came out to you as homosexual? I personally can’t speak from experience, but I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently. I know in my heart that I would be accepting no matter what, but it’s so hard to say how you would react to something until you experience it firsthand.

What do you guys think?
I'd accept it in a heartbeat. Hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM

71 posts, read 243,609 times
of course i would, who denies there child because of their sexual orientation? you are not to judge, god is!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

13,397 posts, read 28,706,787 times
Absolutely!!
I'm catholic, the church does not accept gays but my thoughts are I'm a mere mortal so who am I to judge and I could NEVER turn my child away if they told me they were gay

Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...y-child-9.html

I'm extremely touchy when someone tries to tell me that they KNOW how I feel about something without knowing who I am. Even then, who are you to presume with certainty?

'Can't categorize everyone as 'same-minded'. I don't tolerate that very well. This isn't against you, just the way you worded your opinion to include me.

Not seeing this as a YIPPEE! or OH NO! kind of situation. At all.
Geez, get over yourself. I can't figure out what you're talking about.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM

215 posts, read 651,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I thought I was the only one having trouble understanding.....WTH????

Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnicole83 View Post
of course i would, who denies there child because of their sexual orientation? you are not to judge, god is!!!
It isn't a question of denying your child. A parent usually doesn't just stop loving their kid when something like this comes up, but does struggle with what is ahead and what their kid's life will be like.

I love my daughter with all my heart. She knows that. She'll always be my little girl. She knows that as well. She knows I'm struggling with accepting what will continue to be an issue in her life for years to come. We talk about it and she tells me she has already come to face some obstacles at school and with friends; some have accepted her, some have not.

If your kid is born with Down's Syndrome, do you love him or her less? No, but you do realize that his or her life won't be as easy as had he or she been born without it. You don't go around wishing a child born with it, but don't not love that kid because of it.

Nobody prays for a kid to be born with added obsticles to deal with. Parents pray for normal babies; healthy and normal. My daughter is normal in every way, except for her sexual orientation. I accept her in every way, but am struggling with her sexual orientation. She knows that. She's not suicidal because of it. She is patient and understands that it isn't something I wanted for her.

But at the end of the day, I love my daughter.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,703,055 times
Are there organizations in your area to reach out for support? That could be VERY helpful to both of you. Network.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,703,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
In response to this: "I believe most of you feel you would continue loving your child, but I also believe NONE OF YOU would be happy about your child being gay." and
"What is this all about? Do you have a gay daughter? If you would have no problems with it, why are you so touchy about it?"

You stated that you believe "NONE" would be "happy" about their child being gay...believe what you want, but I responded that it wasn't that way for me.

It's not a matter of my getting over myself - which makes no sense at all - but you getting over the idea that someone might approach the situation with a different perspective.

So back 'atcha.

Last edited by 33458; 02-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Let me see...

I have to worry about my child doing well in school, obtaining a good and fulfilling career, becoming an honest and productive citizen, finding a way to change the world in a positive way...

...and somehow it's going to matter who he/she chooses to have a committed relationship with?

Should I worry if he/she prefers Miller over Bud Light, too?

Organize your priorities, people.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM

396 posts, read 1,034,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
No. I would disown them. It would also mean I failed as a parent.
So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting