Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many languages does your child speak?
1 7 25.93%
2: started at birth with both languages 17 62.96%
2: introduced second language later 3 11.11%
3 or more: started at birth with all languages 0 0%
3 or more: introduced languages later 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Sorry, I'm not following.
Oh, no wonder. That's because America isn't a country, it's 2 different continents (No. & So.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
But my question still stands - anyone with an only-second-language speaking parent and fluent second-language kids here?
Nuala: I think you and I are in a similar situation. I consider Spanish my first language, but I'm fluent in English. My husband knows very little Spanish (numbers, colors and a few verbs); we communicate in English. Most of my family speaks only Spanish. I've tried to raise my daughter bilingual through music, books and conversation. She is only 3 and while she can speak basic Spanish and understands everything in Spanish, I don't feel she is fluent in Spanish. Her vocabulary in English is very rich and I don't see that fluency in Spanish. I will continue to teach her Spanish at home and hope that it's reinforced in school (preschool and elementary/secondary school). It's important to me to raise her in a bilingual/bicultural home.

To have achieved complete fluency in Spanish, I would have had to speak to her exclusively in Spanish at all times. She would have had to communicate with me only in Spanish and use English only with my husband. I've seen some parents do this. The short-term problem I've seen in preschool and playgroups is that these children tend to speak the mother's (or caretaker's) language almost exclusively and are unable to communicate with other children in English. But we all know children are like sponges when it comes to learning. I'm sure once they go to school, they will have plenty of time to catch up with English. Personally, I've never met a preschooler who is fully bilingual, but I've met older children who are.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Does Pig Latin count?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Oh, no wonder. That's because America isn't a country, it's 2 different continents (No. & So.).
You mean there's no United States Of America?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You mean there's no United States Of America?
Yes, but if you travel to other American countries, you'll find that they'll refer to us as "United Statesman" or Estadounidense. Many people see that referring to ourselves Americans is self-centered, exclusionary, and inaccurate (overly general). It's more along the lines of referring to oneself as European. While a person would never say they speak "European", we shouldn't say we speak "American". I admit, it's a bit awkward since we've been raised saying this, but I generally say I'm from the USA or simply from "the States".

North America: Besides English, Spanish and French, about 165 of North America's indigenous languages are spoken at least to some extent today.

South America: Besides English, Spanish, and Portuguese a total of 34 language families and over a dozen isolated stocks with about 1000 individual languages have been identified in South America.

Last edited by cabolissa; 01-23-2009 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Does Pig Latin count?
That's no way to talk about your heritage!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Nuala: I think you and I are in a similar situation. I consider Spanish my first language, but I'm fluent in English. My husband knows very little Spanish (numbers, colors and a few verbs); we communicate in English. Most of my family speaks only Spanish. I've tried to raise my daughter bilingual through music, books and conversation. She is only 3 and while she can speak basic Spanish and understands everything in Spanish, I don't feel she is fluent in Spanish. Her vocabulary in English is very rich and I don't see that fluency in Spanish. I will continue to teach her Spanish at home and hope that it's reinforced in school (preschool and elementary/secondary school). It's important to me to raise her in a bilingual/bicultural home.

To have achieved complete fluency in Spanish, I would have had to speak to her exclusively in Spanish at all times. She would have had to communicate with me only in Spanish and use English only with my husband. I've seen some parents do this. The short-term problem I've seen in preschool and playgroups is that these children tend to speak the mother's (or caretaker's) language almost exclusively and are unable to communicate with other children in English. But we all know children are like sponges when it comes to learning. I'm sure once they go to school, they will have plenty of time to catch up with English. Personally, I've never met a preschooler who is fully bilingual, but I've met older children who are.
Phew... Someone who gets the complexity... Unfortunately, our schools don't have that additional linguistic support as in your schools (except French). I assume you live somewhere with high Spanish population, like CA, hence Spanish in schools, - and an additional advantage of seeing/hearing people speaking around.

Essentially, you are talking about the necessity of immersion, in various ways. With such an obscure language as mine for North America, my only good choice would be to really go to the country with the kids, or spend summers there. Both ways are cost-prohibitive, but we'll see.

Large metropolitan areas like Toronto have diasporas and schools and places to mingle with Russian speakers. We are in the sticks though...

I do think that up to 10 years old, kids have the capability to be sponges if immersed. However, at 4 and 5 now we are past that innocent stage when mother sounds are taken in with no discern. When I try to speak to them in Russian now, they ask me to stop and switch back. They know a few words and can identify that they are not English. They know my lullaby, the only lullaby they have ever heard. But that's about it.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Phew... Someone who gets the complexity...

Essentially, you are talking about the necessity of immersion, in various ways.

Large metropolitan areas like Toronto have diasporas and schools and places to mingle with Russian speakers. We are in the sticks though...

I do think that up to 10 years old, kids have the capability to be sponges if immersed. However, at 4 and 5 now we are past that innocent stage when mother sounds are taken in with no discern. When I try to speak to them in Russian now, they ask me to stop and switch back. They know a few words and can identify that they are not English. They know my lullaby, the only lullaby they have ever heard. But that's about it.
It is not complex at all. All kids have to do is have a parent speak to them every day in their language and kids will learn. How much more 'immersed' can a child be than in his mother's world? It is not that complicated.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I think, in most cases, when two adults who are married speak different languages, an attempt is made for both to learn each other's language, at least in part, or at least understand the other.

When children are born into homes where more than one language is spoken, it is only natural for the kids to learn the languages spoken. It is only natural to pass your language to your children.

This is laughable. Americans are notorious for not willing to learn any foreign language. Do you know personally any foreign language? Assuming you get married, let's say, a Swahili man, will you be willing to learn Swahili? Ten words, perhaps, and that would be your crowning glory. You would fully expect your Swaili husband to have fluent English, wouldn't you.
Moderator cut: partial cut

Last edited by jeannie216; 01-24-2009 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
Quote:
I assume you live somewhere with high Spanish population, like CA, hence Spanish in schools, - and an additional advantage of seeing/hearing people speaking around.
I don't live in a state with high Spanish-speaking population, but I do live close to a large metro area (DC). Some schools offer partial or full immersion in several foreign languages. Since my daughter isn't in school yet, I've sought out other moms with small children who speak Spanish for regular playdates. I speak and read Spanish to her at home. So many DVDs offer the option of listening to it in Spanish. When my daughter is older, I hope she can spend a summer with my family in a Spanish-speaking environment and that would offer a good opportunity for immersion. But know that you explain your situation, I can empathize with the challenges you are facing. Russian isn't as widely available where I live either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting