Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
No.

The vaccine does not prevent cancer. It prevents some strains of HPV, which is a sexually transmitted disease that can in some cases lead to cancer. It seems as though the first step in preventing cervical cancer is to prevent contracting HPV in the first place. If that does not work out for someone, even with no treatment, the vast majority of HPV will clear up on its own. There are also natural treatments, including taking large amounts of antioxidants, that can encourage the body to fight off the HPV infection on its own. Sometimes women do contract a strain of HPV which could have potentially been prevented by the vaccine, and which does not clear up in her body, and which causes cervical cancer. Yearly PAP smears are important for women with risk factors (i.e. sexually active not within the confines of a marital/monogamous relationship). Routine vaccination of every girl at age 9 does not make sense to me. Maybe selective vaccination of those who are engaging in (or planning on engaging in) risky behaviors makes more sense. Education on how to prevent HPV makes even more sense.

If I personally were diagnosed with cervical cancer, it would not be from HPV... simply because my husband and I are and have always been monogamous, so a vaccine for HPV would not have made any difference. If I somehow contracted HPV (and that led to cervical cancer), that does not mean that my daughter would participate in the same types of activities and would not necessarily have the same risk.

I also would not give my children an HIV/AIDS vaccine if one were available... to me, teaching them about how to be safe is much less risky than injecting them with a vaccine that may or may not protect against whatever strain they may or may not come in contact with, and may have very serious side effects to boot (Gardisil is suspected of causing autoimmune disorders in young girls, among other things).
We were discussing this issue with our family doc and tossing around the idea of not giving our daughter the vaccine. We were reading about the risks and such. And we thought that maybe it's the right thing to do: not give it to her. But what he told us was eye opening. He said that he treats a very very very large number of girls returning home from their first semester at college for HPV. He didn't state any statistics but it sounds like the spread of HPV at universities is rampant and getting to be uncomfortably common for his liking.

Now....we all try to teach our children not to have sex before it's appropriate. We all try to explain that they can get pregnant and get STD's etc, etc, etc. But you know what? It still happens....sometimes to girls who you would never have though possible that it could happen to. Because they're good girls who would never do anything mommy and daddy told them not to right? I met some of those good girls in college.

So...after much thought and consideration we still went through with it and don't have any regrets. (other than the cost because my insurance only covered a very small portion of it )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
My daughter is 11 and if I get her the shot, it won't be til she's 17 or 18 and we've talked about the risks and benefits.

I carry the HPV and had some growths removed which was unpleasant, but not unbearable. I also had unusual pap smears 15 or so years ago and had to have cryosurgery and a cone biopsy, but everything has been normal since then.

My point is that contracting HPV does not mean that you're going to die of cancer. It's linked to cervical cancer, but cervical cancer is very preventable with regular pap smears. The gardisil vaccine is not something I'd automatically get for my daughter, like I would a polio, whooping cough or smallpox vaccination.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
I agree with Marlow that it is treatable, etc. My concern is to have a practitioner who is aware enough to catch something in time. I agree with Marlow on all points.

My daughter is 22 & she isn't going to get the vaccine: it's too wierd that only females are being vaccinated.

You can get warts from almost any surface source & it can end up on almost any part of your body by just a touch that contaminates. The body will not accept wart virus from anything at any time UNLESS the body has a glitch in the immune system which allows the virus to take hold & grow. (that's my understanding, i'm not a doctor, i read alot.)

I worry about getting HPV but only becuz I worry about it not being found in time to be treated on a small scale. I've had friends who have had their doctor/nurse find it & had it treated: no big deal in the end, just a bit of a hassle with treatment, but not like getting chemo.

Thankfully I've found a practitioner's office where they are very "pro-active" & they really listen. After many years of complaining that I could feel a tiny growth on my cervix which I wanted HPV ruled out for: the Nurse Practitioner practically got on her knees to examine me closely. She told me what it was: she had to really take her time to find what I was talking about - she'd say "is it here? or here? way back in here?" - like a mining expedition.

She named it for me: not a problem but good go be aware of. She knew I was still worried that it could be HPV & used that area for part of the Pap sample: all is okay.

Wart viruses are extremely treatable. I've been very active in my life & never contracted them "down there" but I've had a few "elsewhere" that came & went with little attention. And now that I have an excellent doctor's office: I don't have to worry any more that my doctor won't listen nor care to look for what concerns me. For someone who worries alot about my health: that's a great relief.

Vaccines routinely use mercury compounds as a preservative. We never know when we've had a little too much toxic exposure until it's too late. There's no need to over extend vaccine use unless it truly is life or death. Perhaps our society over vaccinates.

The HPV vaccine is over hype in my opinion & simply an experiment on females: the world has an over abundance of women. We're probably just pawns for the drug companies.

Hmmm... what drug company owns the vaccine? How are their shares doing on the stock market? Same with the company/s that own/s the vaccine for H1N1.... Hmmmm....? Or the company that owns Tamiflu?

Kate

Old 11-14-2011, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 541 times
Never, never will my daughter get another Gardasil shot! On July 1,2011 I took my15 year old to our doctor to get her TDAP vaccination in order for her to go back to school. We also decided, rather foolishly on my part, to get the first round of Gardasil. Now, unfortunately, no one can figure out what has happened to my very healthy normal teenage daughter. Within an hour of receiving these shots my daughter completely loss control of her senses. She started out by laughing uncontrollably to crying uncontrollably. We ended up in the ER and shortly after was in for an ambulance ride to Childrens hospital of UAB. The doctors have been inclined to think she has had a bad reaction to either one of the shots. They have not definitively been able to diagnose what has happened to her. Is it atypical seizures? They can't say. We have had MRI'S, CT's and an EEG. She now suffers from severe mood disorder and uncontrollable crying spells, she has become depressed and withdrawn, suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. Nobody can help her nor explain which shot caused this. Due to the unknown we will never have another shot of either. Do research parent's before immunizing your children regardless of what physicians and the CDC says.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmann View Post
Never, never will my daughter get another Gardasil shot! On July 1,2011 I took my15 year old to our doctor to get her TDAP vaccination in order for her to go back to school. We also decided, rather foolishly on my part, to get the first round of Gardasil. Now, unfortunately, no one can figure out what has happened to my very healthy normal teenage daughter. Within an hour of receiving these shots my daughter completely loss control of her senses. She started out by laughing uncontrollably to crying uncontrollably. We ended up in the ER and shortly after was in for an ambulance ride to Childrens hospital of UAB. The doctors have been inclined to think she has had a bad reaction to either one of the shots. They have not definitively been able to diagnose what has happened to her. Is it atypical seizures? They can't say. We have had MRI'S, CT's and an EEG. She now suffers from severe mood disorder and uncontrollable crying spells, she has become depressed and withdrawn, suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. Nobody can help her nor explain which shot caused this. Due to the unknown we will never have another shot of either. Do research parent's before immunizing your children regardless of what physicians and the CDC says.
<<HUGS>>> I hope your daughter gets better.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
dont know if this one has been posted yet but i remember a thread where someone's daughter had gotten this vaccine and turned from track star to major cripple and they have yet to be able to fix what went wrong, and being this vaccine only covers a fraction of HPV, not worth it in my opinion

There are over 100 strains of HPV. Anyone know how many strains Guardasil even protects against?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting