Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times

Advertisements

I got the vaccine and had no reaction. Insurance paid for the entire thing as I am in the super red flag for cancer. Don't know if it will help, but it's not like I paid for it or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 AM

46 posts, read 100,836 times
I know of SO many girls who have gotten sick and/or had pretty scary reactions to this so-called "cancer vaccine" My daughter won't be getting it...if it's still around when she'd old enough.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
No my Daughter is not getting it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
My question to the Moms who (now) say they won't give their daughters this vaccine: If you yourself in the future were diagnosed with cervical cancer, would this diagnosis change your mind?

This is not by any means a question meant to incite a reaction. It is a simple question from someone who had cancer, a mother who had cancer, an aunt, her sister who died from cancer, an uncle, her brother who died from cancer, an uncle, her first cousin who died from cancer....(you get the picture).

Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My question to the Moms who (now) say they won't give their daughters this vaccine: If you yourself in the future were diagnosed with cervical cancer, would this diagnosis change your mind?

This is not by any means a question meant to incite a reaction. It is a simple question from someone who had cancer, a mother who had cancer, an aunt, her sister who died from cancer, an uncle, her brother who died from cancer, an uncle, her first cousin who died from cancer....(you get the picture).
It wouldn't change my mind. There are too many ways to "get" cancer and the vaccine doesn't even make a dent in protection. So for me, the risks of the vaccine and all the nasty ingredients outways the benifits.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post

No.

The vaccine does not prevent cancer. It prevents some strains of HPV, which is a sexually transmitted disease that can in some cases lead to cancer. It seems as though the first step in preventing cervical cancer is to prevent contracting HPV in the first place. If that does not work out for someone, even with no treatment, the vast majority of HPV will clear up on its own. There are also natural treatments, including taking large amounts of antioxidants, that can encourage the body to fight off the HPV infection on its own. Sometimes women do contract a strain of HPV which could have potentially been prevented by the vaccine, and which does not clear up in her body, and which causes cervical cancer. Yearly PAP smears are important for women with risk factors (i.e. sexually active not within the confines of a marital/monogamous relationship). Routine vaccination of every girl at age 9 does not make sense to me. Maybe selective vaccination of those who are engaging in (or planning on engaging in) risky behaviors makes more sense. Education on how to prevent HPV makes even more sense.

If I personally were diagnosed with cervical cancer, it would not be from HPV... simply because my husband and I are and have always been monogamous, so a vaccine for HPV would not have made any difference. If I somehow contracted HPV (and that led to cervical cancer), that does not mean that my daughter would participate in the same types of activities and would not necessarily have the same risk.

I also would not give my children an HIV/AIDS vaccine if one were available... to me, teaching them about how to be safe is much less risky than injecting them with a vaccine that may or may not protect against whatever strain they may or may not come in contact with, and may have very serious side effects to boot (Gardisil is suspected of causing autoimmune disorders in young girls, among other things).

Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
All the ads admit that it "MAY" protect against HPV. There is NOTHING in those ads that say girls are safeguarded. On that alone, I wouldn't allow our daughter to be injected with that stuff.

If it was proven to work over a period of time, then perhaps.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:36 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Unfortunately, one of my daughters did get this vaccine. Within days she was extrememly sick and is still recovering after 8 months.She has auto immune issues among other things. We detoxed her and it has helped her, but this was a kid that was running up to 10 miles A DAY and within days of getting the shot needed help getting to the bathroom. She has been to numerous doctors, most of which are convinced that it WAS INDEED the shot that caused the problems.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
No.

The vaccine does not prevent cancer. It prevents some strains of HPV, which is a sexually transmitted disease that can in some cases lead to cancer. It seems as though the first step in preventing cervical cancer is to prevent contracting HPV in the first place. If that does not work out for someone, even with no treatment, the vast majority of HPV will clear up on its own. There are also natural treatments, including taking large amounts of antioxidants, that can encourage the body to fight off the HPV infection on its own. Sometimes women do contract a strain of HPV which could have potentially been prevented by the vaccine, and which does not clear up in her body, and which causes cervical cancer. Yearly PAP smears are important for women with risk factors (i.e. sexually active not within the confines of a marital/monogamous relationship). Routine vaccination of every girl at age 9 does not make sense to me. Maybe selective vaccination of those who are engaging in (or planning on engaging in) risky behaviors makes more sense. Education on how to prevent HPV makes even more sense.

If I personally were diagnosed with cervical cancer, it would not be from HPV... simply because my husband and I are and have always been monogamous, so a vaccine for HPV would not have made any difference. If I somehow contracted HPV (and that led to cervical cancer), that does not mean that my daughter would participate in the same types of activities and would not necessarily have the same risk.

I also would not give my children an HIV/AIDS vaccine if one were available... to me, teaching them about how to be safe is much less risky than injecting them with a vaccine that may or may not protect against whatever strain they may or may not come in contact with, and may have very serious side effects to boot (Gardisil is suspected of causing autoimmune disorders in young girls, among other things).
You beat me to this post! Good job!! And so true!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
No.

A big DITTO on this post!

Nicely written, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting