Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times

Advertisements

I was reluctant to have my 16 year old daughter get the vacine, and my husband was against it. After a lengthy conversation with two different doctors, we decided she should have it. She's had all three shots with no reaction. I'm glad we did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:47 PM

218 posts, read 562,863 times
I had the first shot but never got the rest because I became pregnant, but when I got the shot I was loopy. It didn't help that they gave me pain killers either. D:

Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
I have had the first shot so far, and will be getting the 2nd and 3rd. Outside of a slightly sore arm for a couple of hours I was fine. No reactions. Even if it only protects against I stain of HPV it's a start.

Besides no vaccine is completely safe, my cousin contracted polio from the vaccine, it can happen.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM

76 posts, read 203,789 times
I have gotten the vaccine and my daugher will be getting it when she is of age. No discussion.
The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion. Not to mention that the rate of adverse effects isn't any higher than any of the other vaccines we give our kids.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM

46 posts, read 100,854 times
only if you vaccinate to begin with....don't want to...so I won't.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailin View Post
I have gotten the vaccine and my daugher will be getting it when she is of age. No discussion.
The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion. Not to mention that the rate of adverse effects isn't any higher than any of the other vaccines we give our kids.
I am not trying to argue about the choice you as a parent has made. However I would like to know where you got your info? What benifits outway what risks? And where did you read that risk of side effects wasn't any higher than other vaccines? Especially since it is a fairly NEW vaccine.

I'm just asking because I feel so confident in my decision I just want to cover more ground and make sure I didn't miss something. So please let me know so I can research further

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
No.

The vaccine does not prevent cancer. It prevents some strains of HPV, which is a sexually transmitted disease that can in some cases lead to cancer. It seems as though the first step in preventing cervical cancer is to prevent contracting HPV in the first place. If that does not work out for someone, even with no treatment, the vast majority of HPV will clear up on its own. There are also natural treatments, including taking large amounts of antioxidants, that can encourage the body to fight off the HPV infection on its own. Sometimes women do contract a strain of HPV which could have potentially been prevented by the vaccine, and which does not clear up in her body, and which causes cervical cancer. Yearly PAP smears are important for women with risk factors (i.e. sexually active not within the confines of a marital/monogamous relationship). Routine vaccination of every girl at age 9 does not make sense to me. Maybe selective vaccination of those who are engaging in (or planning on engaging in) risky behaviors makes more sense. Education on how to prevent HPV makes even more sense.

If I personally were diagnosed with cervical cancer, it would not be from HPV... simply because my husband and I are and have always been monogamous, so a vaccine for HPV would not have made any difference. If I somehow contracted HPV (and that led to cervical cancer), that does not mean that my daughter would participate in the same types of activities and would not necessarily have the same risk.

I also would not give my children an HIV/AIDS vaccine if one were available... to me, teaching them about how to be safe is much less risky than injecting them with a vaccine that may or may not protect against whatever strain they may or may not come in contact with, and may have very serious side effects to boot (Gardisil is suspected of causing autoimmune disorders in young girls, among other things).
I agree I don't have a daughter but I have a son and I am actually within the age range to get the shot myself. I would never get the shot. Simply because I am in a monogamous relationship and it would not be worth the risk of the side effects. Also I think it is really just a big money making scheme by big pharma. It doesn't actually help as much as they make it seem. And to me the vaccine is an unnecessary risk. If I had a daughter some day I would not get her vaccinated either, for the same reasons.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Also, I was just curious. Since the American Cancer Society also states that one of the top risk factors for cervical cancer includes using hormonal contraceptives, would you put your child on birth control?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Also, I was just curious. Since the American Cancer Society also states that one of the top risk factors for cervical cancer includes using hormonal contraceptives, would you put your child on birth control?
That may be because they are less likely to use a condom if they are on birth control. If I knew that my daughter were sexually active I would convince her to go on birth control asap. I would just educate my child that they should use BOTH.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,616 times
Gardasil is nearly 100% effective in preventing diseases caused by high-risk strains of HPV -- HPV 16 and 18 -- which together account for 70% of all cervical cancers.

I get that people in a "Monogomous" relationship think that they are safe, but 60% of married men and 50% of married women cheat.

According to the CDC, The serious reported events,or side affects, are about half of what's average for vaccines overall. And they have reached the two-year safety point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting