Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,632 times

Advertisements

I just noticed today that my six year old daughter has two lymth nodes thst were a little large in the back of her neck. I noticed that the back of her neck when she was bending her neck over looked different. When I felt it I felt these two little nodes.I have 7 kids some are in their 20's now. The last three are adopted and they are healthy kids but have other issues. She has been very healthy on't having meds once for a infection. She isn't sick, doesn't have a fever or sore throat. The other side of her neck is fine. It seems like I took one of my kids in for this once and they checked them out and said not to worry. Any thoughts or experiences with your children like this
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Yep - it is usually from either a scalp lesion or a cold. Look through her hair for any scabs, patches of hair loss... If you don't see anything on her scalp, it is probably secondary to a cold or sore throat.

As long as the lymph nodes are not hot to touch or hard and immobile, they aren't usually a problem.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Don't know about the lymph nodes, but our daughter had a popeteil syst on the back of her knee when she was about 3. The options were either drain it, or let it go and see what it does. It went away by itself but caused considerable pain for a while.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Go to the doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Could be a bug bite, or a cold, or a sinus infection, or lots of things. I say take her to the doctor. The peace of mind will make it worthwhile.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Take her to a doctor. I don't mean to alarm you because it could be something insignificant but I was sick and my lymph nodes were swollen and it turned out I had stage 4 non-Hogdkin's lymphoma. I was seventeen and I read that lymphoma, along with leukemia, are the most common forms of childhood cancer. I'm really paranoid about my health now so I'm probably overreacting but you should still just get it checked because if it is something bad then the sooner you catch it, the better.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,632 times
She didn't say they were painful. She is an African American child and I onlt share that because I just did her hair at the end of last week. I seperate her hair in sections and try to get them tight. She has been complaining of her eyes inching. We moved from MIchigan to a State that weather is very different. We have onlt been here 6 months and I know myself and my son who is 6 have a terrible time with allergy. I would most likley watch it and see if they go down in a few days or if she does get sick then it was a pre warning

Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
I would keep an eye on it. My DD would always get an enlarged lymph node on one side of her neck when she was coming down with something. Over the years, more than one pediatrician said not to worry about it (hers were tender though....). We just chalked it up to just her being her. When she was a junior in HS it finally was bothering her so much we go a referral to an ENT who did a CAT scan. She had what was called a branchial cleft cyst. That had been inflammed so many times it was quite large and did need to be removed. A biopsy, two neck surgeons, 3 days in the hosp., 10 days out of school later...she is fine fortunately. I would def. keep an eye on it...could be (and hopefully is) nothing but you never know....

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,608 times
Also, before I got diagnosed, my doctor thought I either had a flu plus an infection, mono, or valley fever (not sure if you've heard of it, but it's pretty serious and common in Kern County, California). It's probably nothing, but a check-up wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

378 posts, read 772,215 times
Kids can have high pain tolerance. My dd had a similar expereince where I found a swollen lymoh node. It turned out that she had an infected throat, which she didn't complain about. The doc wasn't concerned, but I did have a blood test to be sure.

I would definitely see your physician. She could have an infection or something without realizing it. Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting