Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,927 times

Advertisements

I have two kids (8 and 6) and seem to be dealing with some attitude issues lately. Snippiness, talking back, sarcasm, "whatevers", etc. Like most kids, they love the shows on Nickelodeon (iCarly, Drake and Josh, Back at the Barnyard) and Disney (Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana).

What is becoming rather concerning to me is the way many of the kids on these shows behave and talk to people. I'm now seeing the negative effect it's having on my kids and wish I never turned the tv on in the first place!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the only "wholesome" stuff on tv on PBS or Noggin? They used to love those channels, but now they're older and they've "graduated" to the other networks. Maybe a strict tv time limit is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
My kids are the exact same ages. Yes, we've gone through this. We've talked with them about how adults are portrayed by certain shows... such as Fairly Oddparents, Drake & Josh, Jimmy Neutron, etc. Adults are not morons that are fooled by their kids. If they cannot watch the show and continue to treat Daddy & I with respect, then they can no longer watch that show. As we went through this 2 years ago and at the time they loved the whole Timmy/Jimmy thing, losing it for a month really brought it home to them. After being away from it, with their new perspective, they chose not to watch it anymore. They both love Hannah Montana music, but not her show, same with iCarly for the same reason. My son still likes Drake & Josh, but at 9 he says sometimes they are so clueless, they annoy him.

He'll be watching and say, "Why don't they just TELL their mom... and they'd get in less trouble?"

Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Yes, I see it! It drives me nuts and I know I should be more selective on what they watch. I've started to draw the line with Drake and Josh...the womanizing Drake smooching ditsy girl/s on every episode did it for me.
If something happens on a show, I make a point to talk about how "those kids are sooooo disrespectful...I'm sooooo glad you guys aren't like that" ).

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

497 posts, read 1,694,331 times
I love Drake and Josh, Icarly, Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, etc!!!!! They Rule!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM

517 posts, read 1,964,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I love Drake and Josh, Icarly, Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, etc!!!!! They Rule!!!

There's nothing wrong with loving those shows IMO, however, it's so important to be able to recognize what's appropriate behavior and what's not. Without that, it can negatively transform one's personality.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:19 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
I have two kids (8 and 6) and seem to be dealing with some attitude issues lately. Snippiness, talking back, sarcasm, "whatevers", etc. Like most kids, they love the shows on Nickelodeon (iCarly, Drake and Josh, Back at the Barnyard) and Disney (Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana).

What is becoming rather concerning to me is the way many of the kids on these shows behave and talk to people. I'm now seeing the negative effect it's having on my kids and wish I never turned the tv on in the first place!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the only "wholesome" stuff on tv on PBS or Noggin? They used to love those channels, but now they're older and they've "graduated" to the other networks. Maybe a strict tv time limit is in order.
Then turn off the tv.

They'll get over it.

It's 2 degree out where I live with a windchill of -18....we've had the tv off all day...and we've survived.

You can't blame the tv shows when YOU are allowing the tv shows to be viewed by your children...

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Then turn off the tv.

They'll get over it.

It's 2 degree out where I live with a windchill of -18....we've had the tv off all day...and we've survived.

You can't blame the tv shows when YOU are allowing the tv shows to be viewed by your children...
Yep, but I'm guilty.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,940 times
'Tis why I have dvds of all the old shows that my future kids will watch because that smartass bs that is popular now won't stay on my tv for a second. When my niece and nephews visit they never get to watch the shows they like at home and actually prefer the old cartoons and shows that I let them watch instead. Sarcasm from children will not be tolerated regardless of how normal and natural current programming makes it look.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
My son is only 5, but i don't allow him to watch spongebob or any Nick shows because of the attitude the characters exhibit.
You are the parent. Shut the TV off or only allow them to watch DVD's that you've seen before and approve of. I wouldn't stand for my child disrespecting me because of bad behavior they see on a tv show.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,363 times
The biggest reason kids this age love these shows so much is that that is their level of development. I have no problem with my kids whatching these shows. I will not tolerate the disrespect though. When they talk to me in a manner I find offensive I tell them.... " You might talk to your little friends like that, but you will not talk to me like that. I am your momma and I deserve respect.... and don't you dare let me catch you talkng to any other grown ups with that smart mouth.... I gotta bar of soap with your name on it mister/young lady."

My oldest is 15. He is respectful. He may grumble and mumble under his breath, but he will not smart off at me or use vulgar language within my hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting