Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 08:02 PM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles elementary school principal says a man who fatally shot his family and himself had removed three of the children from school about a week and a half ago.

Crescent Heights Elementary School Principal Cherise Pounders-Caver tells KCAL-TV that the father said they were moving to Kansas. The principal says she did not ask why the family was moving.

Police say Ervin Lupoe shot his wife, 8-year-old daughter, twin 5-year-old daughters and twin 2-year-old boys shortly before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday in the Wilmington area of Los Angeles.

read more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I simply can't fathom what compels a person to execute loved ones, particularly children, one after the other like that. It's just heartbreaking.

I used to live in Wilmington, when I was little, It's not a nice area.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Very sad. I feel bad for the children.
I heard the father said "I dont want them raised by strangers so i'm taking them with me"

I'm sorry...but HOW selfish of him....He couldn't possibly love them and do that to them...unless he was EXTREMELY mentally ill.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post

I'm sorry...but HOW selfish of him....He couldn't possibly love them and do that to them...unless he was EXTREMELY mentally ill.
Most people who are thinking on a rationale level do not kill their family. Obviously, he was struggling with something & the job issue was the final straw.

Being fired from your job does not mean you go to the store, buy a gun, & kill people. People who kill in this manner have been struggling for quite some time & there was a final push that made them take this horrible step.

When I was in the military, I dealt with murder/suicides on 3 different occassions. Children were involved with all 3. These people do love their family. They were all battling extreme issues & could not handle or take the steps necessary to get the help they needed to avoid taking an extreme measure.

I am sure he loved them very deeply. That is why he killed them. Does it make sense to a healthy person...no. Is it right either way? No. But to come out & say he was selfish & did not love his family is probably the farthest thing from the truth.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
This man had to be deeply disturbed, wh/ may have been the reason he lost his job - who knows? But the whole story made little sense to me b/c it was reported that he was a special procedures tech and his wife was a "mammo tech" and there are openings nationwide for healthcare techs. So all he and his wife had to do was go find another job, it would seem. He and his wife were fired b/c they had falsified info to get childcare assistance, it appears. Who knows- maybe they were not even licensed techs.

Regardless, this is being reported as if it is a story about a desperate man who lost his job. I think it is about a mentally ill man who didn't know how to cope w/ his situation and was unable to think rationally.

Here is another article:

L.A. man kills wife, 5 kids, self over job loss

Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Regardless, this is being reported as if it is a story about a desperate man who lost his job. I think it is about a mentally ill man who didn't know how to cope w/ his situation and was unable to think rationally.

Here is another article:

L.A. man kills wife, 5 kids, self over job loss
I think most who have some sort of compassion tied in with common sense will know that right now the media is going to center it around a job being lost...with the main thing on the news being job loss, the media will turn it in to what it needs to in order to get the people who actually believe the news outlets as the all being as the sole purpose of killing his family was b/c he lost his job. The meida needs it's grabber headline & since the media loves to instill 24/7 fear, why not let us believe our family's are going to shot us at close range if they lose their job.

There is always more to the story. And many times, that "more" is literally heartbreaking & incredibly frustrating.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I think most who have some sort of compassion tied in with common sense will know that right now the media is going to center it around a job being lost...with the main thing on the news being job loss, the media will turn it in to what it needs to in order to get the people who actually believe the news outlets as the all being as the sole purpose of killing his family was b/c he lost his job. The meida needs it's grabber headline & since the media loves to instill 24/7 fear, why not let us believe our family's are going to shot us at close range if they lose their job.

There is always more to the story. And many times, that "more" is literally heartbreaking & incredibly frustrating.
Agree. However, it is disturbing that the media is giving it this twist. This is a mental health issue and it would be helpful to the public if a real discussion about depression and warning signs of suicide were the topic, instead of emphasizing the job loss aspect of this tragic situation.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree. However, it is disturbing that the media is giving it this twist. This is a mental health issue and it would be helpful to the public if a real discussion about depression and warning signs of suicide were the topic, instead of emphasizing the job loss aspect of this tragic situation.
What's more interesting for senior citizens to watch & gossip about at bingo?

What is more attention grabbing to the out of work man/woman who is staring at CNN at 12pm instead of getting off their butt & applying even to McDonalds to at least bring in some money...?

The news is crap. Has been crap for years. It's sensationlized & is dumbed down to the lowest level.

The public doesn't want to have a real discussion b/c then that would mean it would have to take responsibility & become involved.

What happened was incredibly sad and probably could have been avoided and when it all gets figured out, the job loss was probably the least significant part of it all. As for the news, they just want to instill fear all the time.

And an OH man just shot his entire family today & then killed himself. So, I am assuming the news will be all of this one as the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting