Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
This is our second snow day here in Oklahoma and we have another one coming up tomorrow..happy happy joy joy. My kids are already getting sick like I was last week.....so they can't go out and they are crabby as all hell. We might not survive this week. OMG.
Hang in there. It will soon pass and all thaw out. You guys have gotten the brunt of this arctic cold that came down this way. Maybe you can fire up the video games for them to keep them occupied. Just don't let them play each other or at the same time. Give the time slots for their time period of play that way they all get the same amount and no bickering over who is beating whom. That can be fun . Go rent some new games for them at the video store to give them something different. If no video game system............... yikes, sick so the neighborhood friends can't come over or better yet..... go back and forth between houses. BUMMER!!! At least they are sick on the same day as the schools being closed It would bite big time if they got sick the first day back....... I'd tell the school, "no that was not vomit. They ate some horrible mixture I concocted from our pantry after being stuck at home w/ the bad weather. Must have not settled well. They should have it all gone now so they will be okay". LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
we also had a snow day.. not fun. It was not the kind of snow to play in,mostly sleety/icy/crunchy stuff... the kids don't have snowsuits as snow is kind of unusual for us and once they grew out of their toddler ones, we never got new ones.
Arguing all day-arghhh!
We did do some fun crafts and played some games,but that lasts for about an hour and then they are bored again.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,348 times
We had ice here in the DFW area yesterday and today, so all schools in the area were closed today. It has warmed up this afternoon though, and pretty much all the ice is gone.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,450 times
Western MA. school canceled!

It's our third, I think, plus about 4 two hour delays.

glad to see that I'm not the only parent that gets excited about snow days! lol!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,164,319 times
No school again today....Our road is a sheet of ice and no plow/sanders in site.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
No school again today....Our road is a sheet of ice and no plow/sanders in site.
Unlike us, on a major route, and the plows are here once an hour plowing....NOTHING.

We did have a two hour delay this morning, which was good so I could bring the step stool outside and crack the layer of ice and snow and get it off the roof of my van......

The worst part of the whole thing is that this morning, the snow already looked crappy and dirty because of the rain/slush/plows. So I feel a bit cheated of the clean, snowy, pristine view I usually get after a snowstorm.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM

46 posts, read 100,860 times
We have had about 8 snow days here in Central MA...and 3 Delays so far. It's only January!!!! My poor kids will be going to school until the end of JUNE!! I hate snow! Can't wait till we move to Florida!!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoe View Post
We have had about 8 snow days here in Central MA...and 3 Delays so far. It's only January!!!! My poor kids will be going to school until the end of JUNE!! I hate snow! Can't wait till we move to Florida!!!!!
Yeah, but were those days from snow or days from the ice storm?

My niece was out from December 11 or 12 all the way through Christmas vacation, because so many people didn't get electricity back.

I also heard they might apply for a waiver from the state so that they don't have to make up all the days to complete the 180.

So there may be some hope for you after all, but I feel your pain. I told my SIL the same thing, expect a short summer.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM

Yeah, they are combined with the ice storm as well. I PRAY they waive the 180 day thing. We were lucky to have only lost power for two days. But others in our town and surrounding towns had no power till Christmas. Most of the schools around here were set up as emergency shelters, hence, no school!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM

Where in MA are you? We are in Shrewsbury. Just outside of Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting