Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,110,348 times

Advertisements

So if she has 6 younger children, including one set of twins now. The oldest would have to be at least 6 years old.

Then she stays in the hospital for months waiting for this birth.-I guess she has some great support system at home taking care of the other kids.

Would love to hear the grandmas story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,054,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
timing is everything....the "Duggers" Post just popped up under this one.
Just more insanity. There is nothing admirable about either family.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,894,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
timing is everything....the "Duggers" Post just popped up under this one.
I'm not a big Duggars fan, but there are really NO comparisons here. First of all, there is a Mr. Duggars and a Mrs. Duggars who over the past 20 years or so have produced an astounding number of children. That is not at all the same thing as a single mom with six kids using infertility treatment to produce a batch of eight.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 AM

396 posts, read 1,032,627 times
I was just about to post this article as a new thread, but it's already been done...
I was going to ask the group if anyone else thought these people (including the doctors) were nuts, but you all beat me to it!
This story completely befuddles me. I can't get a clear read on the whole single-mom thing. My gut is telling me she is not, but I am not sure, so I will shelf that issue for now.
What really gets to me, is the doctors in this case. I feel that they acted irresponsibly, in that the mother, may or may not be mentally stable, or in the least, emotionally capable.
If a doctor is going to act as a power higher than the what the physical body can or cannot do on its own, then he/she must look at the whole situation an make sure that it is one that is accomodating for the children who would not have been conceived otherwise.
In this spirit, medical ethics must begin to play a greater part in artificial conception.
There is a recent case in Easton, CT, whereby a mother who had murdered her child, and was out on bail waiting for a trial, was artificially insemenated, and is now requesting to not be placed in jail because of the pregnancy (not a of my details are accurate, but this is the jist of the story).
So, medical ethics must begin reviewing these sorts of circumstances, and work to govern over the doctors who are looking to make a buck. Through this governing, a questionaire must be derived where circumstances, seen, unseen, or unforeseen, can be looked at with the ultimate goal being that some people will not be allowed to use artificial methods of getting pregnant.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm not a big Duggars fan, but there are really NO comparisons here. First of all, there is a Mr. Duggars and a Mrs. Duggars who over the past 20 years or so have produced an astounding number of children. That is not at all the same thing as a single mom with six kids using infertility treatment to produce a batch of eight.
I wasn't comparing them. Just laughing at the irony of the internet.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,482,625 times
After waiting to read & hear more of this story, what is coming out is greatly disturbing & upsetting.

The one thing that has always sat wrong with me is that she is refusing to let the media know her name. That right there sends up red flags.

After reading about this now for the past few days & hearing some news stories, I'm fairly pissed at this young woman. I'm pissed at her parents who enable the **** poor behavior.

And, there is no father figure for these children. And no, a grandfather who had to work in Iraq to bring in the income can't be the father figure. My dh was in Iraq. They are not father figures when they are literally across the world & talking on the phone & via internet doesn't cut it.

But the parents of this girl appear to be ok raising her along with her 45 children.

Wrong. From start to finish. Wrong.

God bless those young children. How unfair to them.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM

396 posts, read 1,032,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I disagree, I think that there are comparisons here. And you don't yet know that this is a single mom situation because they have not actually stated that as a fact, so until they do, we don't know either (unless I missed something in the article).
I think having a very large number of children these days is socially irresponsible. And I think that "what" is bothering a lot of people on the thread. It's not just what this woman and whomever else has done, but the number of children, that makes it so awful for the rest of us.
Everything is overcrowded with humans today. We are quickly using up our natural resources, with building, eating, driving, and drinking. We are pushing out habitats, we are destroying the ice-caps, we are stressed, we sit in traffic, we pay large amounts for higher education because the competition of all of these other people says that if we don't go and get higher education we will be left in the dust.
So if we are having large numbers of kids, and we are not properly preparing them for the world we share, then we are the ones' who are largely adding to the numbers of those who cannot keep up with society, those who will end up pulling the rest of us down a little.
So, I think we are all feeling it, and as a whole, you hear our voices cry out in outrage when 1 or 2 people decide to have an outrageous number of children.
So, I do feel that in a way these stories are similar, and that both parties, married, unmarried, who cares, are both socially irresponsible.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times
This story makes me sick on all levels. Im happy that the babies are in good health, but WTF is this single mom who lives with her parents doing having all these kids? Where is the father? Why no mention of the father? This really makes me sick. So now my tax dollars are going to take care of this womans kids? A single mom with 14 kids now. Terrible. Terrible.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,710,702 times
Hopefully this "LARGE HOUSE" is in another country. Maybe the one that the quack doctors reside in that implanted this many embryo's all at once.

So I guess instead of going to Mexico for Spring Break and getting drunk is "so yesterday". Now the NEW thing is to go and get implanted w/ a litter. great...........

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,894,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I disagree, I think that there are comparisons here. And you don't yet know that this is a single mom situation because they have not actually stated that as a fact, so until they do, we don't know either (unless I missed something in the article).
I think having a very large number of children these days is socially irresponsible. And I think that "what" is bothering a lot of people on the thread. It's not just what this woman and whomever else has done, but the number of children, that makes it so awful for the rest of us.
Everything is overcrowded with humans today. We are quickly using up our natural resources, with building, eating, driving, and drinking. We are pushing out habitats, we are destroying the ice-caps, we are stressed, we sit in traffic, we pay large amounts for higher education because the competition of all of these other people says that if we don't go and get higher education we will be left in the dust.
So if we are having large numbers of kids, and we are not properly preparing them for the world we share, then we are the ones' who are largely adding to the numbers of those who cannot keep up with society, those who will end up pulling the rest of us down a little.
So, I think we are all feeling it, and as a whole, you hear our voices cry out in outrage when 1 or 2 people decide to have an outrageous number of children.
So, I do feel that in a way these stories are similar, and that both parties, married, unmarried, who cares, are both socially irresponsible.
I completely, but respectfully disagree with your comparisons. A loving married couple can choose to have as many children as they can care for. It is not about the volume of children, it is about how you raise them. Again, I don't agree with everything that the Duggars do, but I do respect their devotion to their family.

I don't think that most folks are distressed about large families in general, but are more concerned about using extreme measures to produce high-order multiple births that bring extraordinary medical risks to the high-risk babies who have had no choice in the matter.

Again, I cannot say anything disparaging about a couple who over the course of many years grows a loving family. Not my style, I only have two kids, but not my place to judge either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting