Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I have no idea what to make of this story. Apparently, this woman already has 6 kids so now she has 14. And she is living with her parents! Does anyone know who the father is?

Family: Octuplets' mother has 6 other children - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/ap_on_re_us/octuplets - broken link)
i usually dont watch the news ...everyones talking about this woman having eight babies....im totally shocked that i actually know this woman...last time i saw her i was pregnant with my second child and she didn't have any...now she has 5 times more ...wow....my thoughts are with her......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
You should really watch this video. It's from the TED conference, and I think it will be something you find quite interesting...It basically makes your point, statically.....

Hans Rosling shows the best stats you've ever seen | Video on TED.com
Thank you for introducing me to this org. I had never heard of it.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I am not about absolutes. I live my life hand-in-hand with my faith AND the sciences. If that makes me wrong - to non-believers and/or Christian conservatives , then so be it. My take? I am doing no harm to others so why does how I feel about my children really matter to you or anyone else?
I think this would not be a problem, years back. US politics is now such that there are people of faith who make an issue of religion politically and try to twist our political system to fulfill their agenda. That zeal and the influence of corporations tend to move us into a fascist state, so now just the mention of God and religion pushes buttons and provokes strong reactions.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yikes, that is truly a scary thought. Just who gets to determine the standard? You? The Anthony's, the Duggars?, I may not agree with a lot of people's decisions on things, including kids, but I would never ever want the government telling people how many kids people should have or how they should raise them - even if it got to be MY standard. Be careful what you wish for.
Drug addicted women who sell their bodies to support their habits and have unprotected sex which produces kids with little hope for a future who are often addicted or diseased when they are born.

I have no problem at all to sterilize these women.
Or worse.
People who destroy the lives of others or bring children into a world that even adults have problems negotiating - I have nothing but contempt for them.
My sympathy for them and their problems tends to end when they hurt others.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
yeah, I have to whole heartedly disagree with this. You are sounding like "big brother" and "1984" wasn't my idea of an ideal future......
I know.
I wish we could foresee the horrors that some children live through and head them off before they happen.
I don't think, when you ask for a handout, that you can complain about the strings attached.
It's like my parents used to tell me, so long as I lived under their roof I must obey their rules. Makes sense. I longed for the day of my independence. Well, people getting governmental assistance should live under the same rule. If I am footing the bill I sure as heck should be able to take part in what went on to cause it and stop that activity. The person accepting the handout would be sure as heck striving to be independent, just as I did.

Where you put your money, in our society, is the behavior you reward. If people are comfortable they are unlikely to change.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Maybe Jonathan Swift was right. Maybe we should just eat the poor!
I thought the suggestion was that the poor should eat their children.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sounds like you are suggesting a forced abortion. Honestly, that opens up a much larger can of worms legally than the subject of the OP no matter how unbalanced she may be....
God or nature tends to shorten the lives of sick animals so they do not reproduce. I believe in helping the deranged but not allowing them to create an ever increasing population of them to burden our society with.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
One way these things can be curtailed is for the states to create and adhere to one simple rule: It will pay for only two kids per female on welfare. If the woman chooses to have more kids, she is responsible for them, she would not receive any more money than for the first two.

Years ago in a club, I talked with a woman who had 5 kids. She informed me that the more kids she had, the more money she received from welfare. None of the kids had the same father; two were products of a man and his nephew. Needless to say, that was as far as the conversation went. Seems she was trolling for a daddy for another baby.

As long as welfare covers multiple children and medical care for all, these women will continue to produce.
I think New Jersey allows one child per welfare recipient. This is such a large burden for any state, that I am wondering why they have so many budgetary problems. Guess they are not called the most corrupt state in the union for no reason.

That law, plus the new mayor, Cory Booker, are really turning Newark around. Smaller families, kids getting an education, home ownership, pride. It is not doing people a favor to encourage large families. It tends to give them a serf mentality.

Yeah. I had a job once in which the secretary lived in a very nice apartment - better than mine. She had a daughter who had a birthday and the next year would be too old for welfare to support. The secretary had another baby to keep the funds flowing in to pay for her apartment.

Please don't think I'm a rabid right-wing sort of person. I also hate the idea of so much of our tax dollars being spent on military pursuits, especially the criminal Bush Iraq fiasco - respect the office, my foot.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-03-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Welfare is a poor reason to have children as it is not profitable. The state can't deny a child assistance due to too many siblings.
People obviously know how to work the system, because you are incorrect on both counts. New Jersey limits assistance to the first child and people do have kids for the money.

I know, it's hard to believe.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
So now we're talking about state-sponsored sterilization?

I agree that there are some people out there who simply should not have children. PERIOD. But we can't legislate that any more than we can legislate stupid.
With our unraveling of our genetic code, we may very well be able, some day, to pick the 'smartest' of our genes to reproduce with.

Samp, I believe that there is a spiritual element to life, some link to consciousness that science is just starting to explore. It may be that attitude and love and positive good intentions, and prayer have a contribution to make, that thoughts have some sort of reality.

But most of us think of God in the way other men have laid out for us. We really don't know God unless its from a book or someone else's idea or experience.
So we don't really know what a God would want.

Whatever God is, It works through nature.

Do we make a distinction between the killing that a soldier does for his country and those of a serial murderer?
Intent would seem to be important to the eyes of society and churches.

EArly tribal people needed to increase their numbers as much as possible. It was important to encode that in religion, encouraging reproduction.
Their religion reflected that need.
Is that relevant today?

I think God is at best a very personal thing and find it hard to believe that there are organizations that think of this phenomenon in the same way and actually believe that It has dictated sets of laws and rules for us to follow.

But there should be forums in which citizens can discuss ethics and our civilization. Topics like not setting indicators of genetically manipulated or irradiated foods, or cloning humans or developing slave robots or censorship or government spying on the population. Heck, global warming.

Religion hardly addresses these things, but they are pressing moral issues and will become more so in the future and we should be thinking about them now. So, we really do need some public meeting place that will direct the ethics of our future. It should not be left to business determinations and how many Congressmen can be rewarded for siding with them.

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-03-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting