Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,644,378 times

Advertisements

Or so he can be on the cover of People!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times
Well, he obviously is not fearful of his license being revoked.

My husband keeps saying he is being investigated for violations of some ethical code. I keep saying I want to hear what the code actually says instead of speculating.

I somehow think that, as long as its legal, a doctor is a service provider hired by the patient. I cannot see how it is the doctor's responsibility to screen his customer's home environment. If he/she thinks a person is mentally shaky he/she could suspend treatment pending a psychiatric evaluation, perhaps.

Anyhow, this kind of thing happens when there are no clear cut rulings and I don't think the guidelines now in use are serving the purpose of preventing this sort of thing. I see doctoring as being a business. That's why poor people get such poor treatment in this country. They do what you pay them to do, as long as it's legal.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My theory is that he loves the publicity just as much as she does and is more worried about that than his license.

Quote:
My husband keeps saying he is being investigated for violations of some ethical code. I keep saying I want to hear what the code actually says instead of speculating.

I somehow think that, as long as its legal, a doctor is a service provider hired by the patient. I cannot see how it is the doctor's responsibility to screen his customer's home environment. If he/she thinks a person is mentally shaky he/she could suspend treatment pending a psychiatric evaluation, perhaps.
I agree that a doctor shouldn't be responsible for investigating a patient's home environment. I REALLY don't see how the doctor has a right to refuse IVF just because the woman can't afford the children. However, he definitely should have required a psych evaluation.

My problem with the doctor is the fact that he:

1. did the procedure on a woman who is obviously mentally unstable

2. violated medical guidelines by implanting the extra embryos

As far as I'm concerned, everything else is on HER.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,118,750 times
Quote:
I think if he has been found guilty of not following the guidelines and breaking the rules, that the hospital should go after him for all medical expenses for these children.

He broke what is basically the law and in a civil court they could win money from this quack.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,059,543 times
The doctor is not nearly as responsible for this mess as that woman. He would have had to harvest at least 45 eggs from her before she started popping out kids in order for it to have happened the way she says.

She said she was implanted with 6-8 embryos EACH time and the first 5 times resulted in only single births with one twin birth. HOGWASH. She was pregnant for almost all of six years to have all those kids so close together. How could she possibly have produced 45 eggs prior to the first implantation without taking years??? She had already been pregnant and lost at least one baby.

She said she told the doctor to put in the 'remaining' embryos all at once this last time. What??? That's just a LITTLE bit contradictory to having 6-8 implanted EVERY time.

Bottom line: She couldn't have been implanted with more than one or two embryos the first 6 times, then took the next year to come up with 6 or 8 more eggs for the finale, resulting in 8 babies.

She knew exactly what she was doing all along.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,059,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I think if he has been found guilty of not following the guidelines and breaking the rules, that the hospital should go after him for all medical expenses for these children.

He broke what is basically the law and in a civil court they could win money from this quack.
Why should she not be held responsible? She was advised to terminate some of those fetuses in the first three months.

She made choices an awful lot of people are paying for. Seems to me that she is who should be held accountable. Period. No one else.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The doctor is not nearly as responsible for this mess as that woman. He would have had to harvest at least 45 eggs from her before she started popping out kids in order for it to have happened the way she says.

She said she was implanted with 6-8 embryos EACH time and the first 5 times resulted in only single births with one twin birth. HOGWASH. She was pregnant for almost all of six years to have all those kids so close together. How could she possibly have produced 45 eggs prior to the first implantation without taking years??? She had already been pregnant and lost at least one baby.

She said she told the doctor to put in the 'remaining' embryos all at once this last time. What??? That's just a LITTLE bit contradictory to having 6-8 implanted EVERY time.

Bottom line: She couldn't have been implanted with more than one or two embryos the first 6 times, then took the next year to come up with 6 or 8 more eggs for the finale, resulting in 8 babies.

She knew exactly what she was doing all along.
Exactly. The only part of the doctor's responsibility in this is the MEDICAL issues associated with implanting 8 embryos and possibily with not requesting a psych evaluation.

Everything else is her problem...not his. It's not his responsibility to go sifting through the details of her personal life to figure out where the kids will live, how she will support them, etc.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,500,292 times
1. I feel that this doctor and any doctor after him that does something similar should pay child support. I think legal action needs to be taken so the new rule will be implemented.

2. Had this woman not been single,had a job and her own home people would have been giving her freebies left and right which has been numerous times when the mother has multiples. IMO none of these IVF multiple families should get anything and I never understood why people jump for joy because someone had a litter.

3. I do believe this woman is crazy but not the kind of crazy where she doesn't know what she is doing. I think she is fully aware that she is a psycho. So no pity from me on her part.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
1. I feel that this doctor and any doctor after him that does something similar should pay child support. I think legal action needs to be taken so the new rule will be implemented.
Sorry, I don't agree that the doctor should be required to pay child support. I think that the doctor needs to be investigated and have his license taken away for implanting too many embryos period. This would apply regardless of whether the woman could support the kids or not.

I would like to see a law passed that says that no more than 2 embroys can be implanted and any doctor who does this in the future should be prosecuted and subject to having sanctions taken against their medical license. They still, however, shouldn't be required to pay child support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
3. I do believe this woman is crazy but not the kind of crazy where she doesn't know what she is doing. I think she is fully aware that she is a psycho. So no pity from me on her part.
I agree with that.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,118,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Why should she not be held responsible? She was advised to terminate some of those fetuses in the first three months.

She made choices an awful lot of people are paying for. Seems to me that she is who should be held accountable. Period. No one else.
Oh i would tap her a** first for the money- because she wanted this to happen, but i doubt even with all her lucrative deals it will cover the expenses the state wil be paying for those babies.

I think he is a legitmate source to recoup some of these expenses.

He did this knowing she COULD have 8 kids and he knew she was mentally unstable AND broke.
When she runs out of paying $it all back, i would hit him up as well.

He is a Dr. Frankenstein 2009 edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting