Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
But accidents happen all the time ......
Car accidents, people killed by flying tires at NASCAR, tripping over your own shoelaces and falling down a flight of stairs...

I think a gun show sounds like a great father/son activity. Better to learn about guns and gun safety early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Accidents happen regardless of the activity you involve yourself in - that's why they're called accidents. Did you read the article in last week's People Magazine about cheerleading and accidents? Cheerleaders are breaking their necks and getting all sorts of injuries from the flips and tricks they do. Should people not engage in cheerleading? Come on Arts, you're a rational person.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Accidents happen regardless of the activity you involve yourself in - that's why they're called accidents. Did you read the article in last week's People Magazine about cheerleading and accidents? Cheerleaders are breaking their necks and getting all sorts of injuries from the flips and tricks they do. Should people not engage in cheerleading? Come on Arts, you're a rational person.
And lets not forget what a deadly activity ballroom dancing is. Have you seen the carnage on Dancing with the Stars? Eyes getting poked out, torn ligaments, broken limbs. Oh the horror

Old 02-02-2009, 06:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Stop being sarcastic to me right this second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
And lets not forget what a deadly activity ballroom dancing is. Have you seen the carnage on Dancing with the Stars? Eyes getting poked out, torn ligaments, broken limbs. Oh the horror
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Ever since he was a little boy he always showed interest in weapons. He excels at war and shooting related video games (but not at school). So the week of Valentine's Day there's a gun show coming up and I want to bring him with me. The wife does not like his interest in guns but I don't see anything except a boy being a boy. My 2 year old also prefers to play with her brother's toy guns rather than dolls and other toddler toys.
What's your take?
My take on this is as follows:

1. Sounds more like a parenting issue than a relationship issue which means this thread should have been started in the Parenting Forum.

2. Nothing wrong with kids playing with guns. Almost all boys at one time or another want to play games involving guns and shooting.

3. If he's not doing well in school, I wouldnt take him to some gun show.

4. If he's of appropriate age 16 or so, then I dont see any problem with him being around guns as long as he's supervised and has been trained on the safety issues. Younger than 16 than he really should be involved with air guns. Even rimfire at an age younger than this I think is inappropriate.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Well, speaking of ballroom dancing ... I sprained a ligament in my right hamstring several years ago - the night before a competition. We were practicing and I lifted my leg up onto my partner's shoulder and something went "pop" like a rubber band. I was in excrutiating pain at the comp, but by golly, I danced and just sweated it out. We placed in the top 3!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I grew up around guns, shop equipment, farming equipment etc.. My dad was a hunter and even had his old shotguns up on the wall in the basement family room.. And I, like every boy in the neighborhood, played army, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians.. you name it..

However my fascination with guns stopped at the real vs. imaginary. Since I grew up hunting at a young age, and understanding what a firearm can do, my play world never, ever crossed into the real world..

And of course the fact that my Dad would've whipped my ass with a forsythia switch was also a healthy deterrent to ever messing with firearms. Or his power equipment in his shop..

The first time I fired a 12 ga was when I was 10. It was an old single shot Bay State, no recoil pad, and he put 00 buck shot in the chamber. It will let you know really quickly that guns are not toys. It was his way of reminding me that those guns on the wall were not for play.

My son is 10 now, and he grew up in the country. And yes I had my blackpowder rifles on display, on the wall. He grew up in a house that views firearms as tools, just like my angle grinder is a tool, or my band saw, or my 40hp New Holland tractor, or the bush hog.. He knows his boundaries and respects them, because he witnesses what they are intended to do, and what can happen if he misuses them. He knows there are ramifications if he ever fools with them, HOWEVER he is never, and I mean never kept away from them. If he wants to know how something works, I stop what I'm doing and show him.

It takes the curiosity out of a boy, and replaces it with understanding. This, I believe, is the key. If we shelter our children from everything that we think is potentially dangerous, then they will foster that curiosity. I'd rather show him those things that are off limits so he understands why I need to be there if and when he wants to use them.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Guns are not toys to be played with. There needs to be much supervision and safety training involved. I wouldn't recommend people or kids play with guns.

The other things you said were good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
M

2. Nothing wrong with kids playing with guns. Almost all boys at one time or another want to play games involving guns and shooting.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Guns are not toys to be played with. There needs to be much supervision and safety training involved. I wouldn't recommend people or kids play with guns.

The other things you said were good though.
I meant to say Toy Guns.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I thought that was obvious as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting