Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
As a side note... I was very particular about the types of pageants that I let our girls do. No over-the-top Pro-Am, no hair extensions, spray tans, or anything else like that for our girls. We are a middle class family, and this is a hobby. We could not afford to be anything but reasonable, plus I doubt that the girls would've enjoyed that anyway. I always read the rules and viewed photos of winners carefully before I let them jump into a circuit we hadn't done before. IMHO, that's just plain common sense.

~D
I think from the sounds of it you raised a good kid...with or without the pageants. Good job. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I think what a lot of folks have a problem with are the clearly screwed up parents who doll their little girls up and make them prance around like prostitutes. They seem like they are living vicariously through their kids, putting inappropriate ideals in their heads, and/or making them into sexual beings when clearly they are entirely to young for this. It's unfortunate that CPS doesn't have any provisions for this kind of activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I can't believe TLC is putting on something like this! Everytime I catch a trailer as I switch channels, I see the face of Jon Benet Ramsey in those little girls, and a wave of nausea, sadness and fear comes over me! Watch some lunatic mother kill one of those girls because her own lost the contest!
I think the same thing when I see the ads. I can't understand how any parent knowing the JBR story would even think to put their kids through this.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM

63 posts, read 98,803 times
I actually get a pretty good laugh out of this show. Even if I feel bad for the girls who don't want to do it, it's very enjoyable watching the moms.

When my daughters were about three, a friend of my thought we should take them to get headshots and eventually send them in for modeling. Mostly because the girls LOVED posing for the camera, we thought why not? They eventually landed an audition for a local commerical that involved riding a horse (my girls were soo excited!) Well we went there and some of these moms were just out of control. Yelling at their daughter if she messed up her lines and just wanting their kid to be perfect (none are!!!). The company wanted a little dirty-blonde haired blue eyed girl. A mom had her THREE YEAR OLD'S hair died blonde (with about two inch black roots sticking out) and had blue contacts. The little girl was obviously not into it (her mom was though..) and when her and her mom were practicing and the little girl forgot the words her mom was INFURIATED! Needless to say, my girls completley forgot the lines and did not get the part (which was fine by me.. we just aren't into that kind of lifestlye) and truthfully, couldn't care less (now they're 11 and are into basketball and softball) .

Yes, that was modeling, but from how I see it.. the pagent thing is exactly the same! It's funny watching the moms.. yet sad watching the girls.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I think watching that would make me ill. I might find it amusing if there were no kids involved. I would just want to bring them home. How sad.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
I happened to tune into the show the other night. While some of the little girls were having fun and just being natural w/ no make up, a couple moms really went overboard. This one little toddler (can't remember her name) would break down between every costume changes. Seriously, how much fun can that be for that child? It was so the mom and what the mom wanted. Let's encourage little girls to get a good education and use their brains, not their looks.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM

515 posts, read 1,557,885 times
I had never seen the ads for that show until last night. As previously stated, I am a pageant mom, and the commercial even ticked me off! I think mainly, though, because I know most of us are not how we are being depicted. Grrr... :x

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
I had never seen the ads for that show until last night. As previously stated, I am a pageant mom, and the commercial even ticked me off! I think mainly, though, because I know most of us are not how we are being depicted. Grrr... :x
I was a single mom and couldn't afford it, but I had a friend who had both of her girls in pageants. They all loved it and had such a great time planning and preparing. I was always a little jealous.

I don't find this mother/daughter activity any different than a boy who plays sports with his dad as a coach. It may not be for every family....but it doesn't seem to do any long term damage for the families who find it fun. If anything, these types of events bring families closer together.

OK...so some of the moms and dads in these arenas are pushy and retarded. It doesn't mean MOST of the other parents are like that. They just want to enjoy a hobby with their kids.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
OK...so some of the moms and dads in these arenas are pushy
No kidding... lol... but how's that any different (or worse) than parents going overboard on the field? To a lot of these girls, this is what they do on a Saturday afternoon, just like playing softball or soccer, or gymnastics, or cheer...

~D

Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I think sports is different (although I do agree that sports parents can be just as obnoxious as pageant parents!)First off, both boys and girls are playing sports these days and the girls are just as competitive.... sports is a skill which you play and improve upon. I understand that some pageants showcase talents but if that is the purpose, why not just compete or perform in an arena specifically aimed at that talent? What purpose does striding around in a swimsuit serve? I get that many of the older girls do this by choice and I do think that some of it is cultural (more prevalent in certain parts of the country) but personally, I agree with the posters who pointed out there are better ways of instilling confidence in a girl that having it associated with makeup and swimsuits. Especially as TODDLERS for pete's sake.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think sports is different (although I do agree that sports parents can be just as obnoxious as pageant parents!)First off, both boys and girls are playing sports these days and the girls are just as competitive.... sports is a skill which you play and improve upon. I understand that some pageants showcase talents but if that is the purpose, why not just compete or perform in an arena specifically aimed at that talent? What purpose does striding around in a swimsuit serve? I get that many of the older girls do this by choice and I do think that some of it is cultural (more prevalent in certain parts of the country) but personally, I agree with the posters who pointed out there are better ways of instilling confidence in a girl that having it associated with makeup and swimsuits. Especially as TODDLERS for pete's sake.
Well hardly anyone will become a pro sports athlete and yet we let them play sports. Cheerleaders have no purpose other than to Yell and jump around? See there are good and bad sides to every sport. Dressing up is a sport but the glitz just Creeps me out.

It appears that it Can be just like dress-up for some of these kids. Just depends on the PARENTS LEVEL OF INSANITY. That is when it gets SCARy is when the parents are all gung ho and the kids are not into it.

I am considering letting my kid do this if she hounds me about it in a year or so. We live in a part of the country that is NOT pageanty. I am hoping she would rather act or something.

I will say that as an adult - wearing makeup and fixing hair is an important social skill that most women will use as adults to have successful careers, land a man, be desireable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting