Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Yea, to hell with scientific fact backed by research. Complete hogwash if you ask me.
You've made no correlation between that and parenting ability.
Where did you post FACTS on the subject of brain shrinkage and parenting?? Facts that prove parents in their 30's and beyond are better than parents in their 20's? I must have missed it but if you would direct me to the right post I'd be happy to go back to it...unless you follow the same 'common knowledge' theories put up by IT?? You get somewhat of a pass because of your age related mental defect but it would be nice if you could find some facts somewhere to back up your statements, IN CONTEXT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:42 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Where did you post FACTS on the subject of the topic of parenting?? Facts that prove parents in their 30's and beyond are better than parents in their 20's? I must have missed it but if you would direct me to the right post I'd be happy to go back to it...unless you follow the same 'common knowledge' theories put up by IT?? You get somewhat of a pass because of your age related mental defect but I'm not sure why IT doesn't have the proof to put up, she should be fully cooked by now.
Oh, look insults very mature of you to stoop that low.

#1 I never said anything about 30 something and beyond being better parents
#2 page 22 post #211
#3 why do you even bother in this debate all you have done is insult and attack people.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,832 times
One thing...ok, there was a lot disturbing on this thread...but IT made is sound as if once you have children you cannot go on to accomplish that degree or anything else...having kids make you stuck. And to that I say HAHAHAHHA...
Also, what about those people who stay married over 7 yrs... have kids and do indeed get divorced? AND were 30 when they got married?

It has to be said that in not all situation A's do things turn out like the 'scientific' community say it will...
You are dealing with HUMANS... and anything relating to them and their individual psychological sets is a soft science...
And to that end there is nothing concrete.
You cannot say that in all cases this will happen. And THAT is a fact.
Once again 15- whatever age getting pregnant and having babies cause they want someone who will love them forever...without any other thought... isn't good...thats a no brainer. However thats not to say that the mother will not finish school, get a degree or get a well paying job to provide for their child get married/stay married...ad naseum.
Did we plan our 1st child...nah... was she the end of my world? Not hardly... my 2nd was planned and we had twins..was that the end of my life? Nope. To this day do I wish I had waited? Not a chance! Am I successful? Do I have a great education? Does their Rock n Roll Daddy? You betchya...and yeah, we married at 18. That was a long time ago.
Oh yeah, all my kids are successes in their own right...degreed or not.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
One thing...ok, there was a lot disturbing on this thread...but IT made is sound as if once you have children you cannot go on to accomplish that degree or anything else...having kids make you stuck. And to that I say HAHAHAHHA...
Also, what about those people who stay married over 7 yrs... have kids and do indeed get divorced? AND were 30 when they got married?

It has to be said that in not all situation A's do things turn out like the 'scientific' community say it will...
You are dealing with HUMANS... and anything relating to them and their individual psychological sets is a soft science...
And to that end there is nothing concrete.
You cannot say that in all cases this will happen. And THAT is a fact.
Once again 15- whatever age getting pregnant and having babies cause they want someone who will love them forever...without any other thought... isn't good...thats a no brainer. However thats not to say that the mother will not finish school, get a degree or get a well paying job to provide for their child get married/stay married...ad naseum.
Did we plan our 1st child...nah... was she the end of my world? Not hardly... my 2nd was planned and we had twins..was that the end of my life? Nope. To this day do I wish I had waited? Not a chance! Am I successful? Do I have a great education? Does their Rock n Roll Daddy? You betchya...and yeah, we married at 18. That was a long time ago.
Oh yeah, all my kids are successes in their own right...degreed or not.
I think ITs point is that having the child so early in life will make things more difficult.

Yes, I agree that not everybody is the same and some are happy with their decisions. On the other hand how often does that occur when it comes to young parents?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, look insults very mature of you to stoop that low.

#1 I never said anything about 30 something and beyond being better parents
#2 page 22 post #211
#3 why do you even bother in this debate all you have done is insult and attack people.
What is insulting about what I said?? You claimed that your brain is not fully cooked. This brain 'defect' will correct itself with age. You've been saying so in MANY posts already, "It's a scientific fact." Prefrontal cortex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And let's not get into who has been insulting here...wanna go back and read your hamster remarks? I haven't called anyone immature, selfish, hypocrite, suggested their children were no more meaningful than hamsters or suggested that anyone made the wrong choice as to when to have their children. I also didn't say you had any hamsters up your..... You really think you are on higher ground here??

This is post #211. I don't see any facts here that draw a correlation between age (shrunken brains) and parenting.
Quote:
Your brain doesn't fully mature until mid 20s. You are still growing in your 20s. You change a lot as a person in the few years from 18 to 25. Sure you may be an adult in the eyes of the law but your mind and body says otherwise. With that said an 18 may feel that they are ready to have a child and may have the job to support said child but a few years down the road that 18 year old is going to wish they waited. I find it a rarity that a parent says "Oh I am so happy I had a child at 18" or what ever young age they had the kid.

Last edited by NCyank; 02-07-2009 at 11:04 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,832 times
You said:
"Yes, I agree that not everybody is the same and some are happy with their decisions. On the other hand how often does that occur when it comes to young parents? "

To find that out you would need to ask every young parent.

You need to leave it at..."Yes, I agree that not everybody is the same and some are happy with their decisions."
You cannot say that because of A ---B is always the outcome. Again, that is fact.

Keep in mind that we are on a forum with mostly adults, single, in relationships, remarried, divorced or widowed. Not many are, I don't think, single 16 yr olds(insert inappropriate age here).
In my case, I didn't think..."Oh goodie I am a young parent I get to have freedom in my 40's" or "Oh god my life is over" We had to improvise, adapt and overcome. My concern was for feeding my marriage and raising my children to become self-sufficient, responsible adults. Partially cooked brain and all.

Last edited by sueprnova; 02-07-2009 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
What is insulting about what I said?? You claimed that your brain is not fully cooked. This brain 'defect' will correct itself with age. You've been saying so in MANY posts already, "It's a scientific fact." Prefrontal cortex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And let's not get into who has been insulting here...wanna go back and read your hamster remarks? I haven't called anyone immature, selfish, hypocrite, suggested their children were no more meaningful than hamsters or suggested that anyone made the wrong choice as to when to have their children. I also didn't say you had any hamsters up your..... You really think you are on higher ground here??
Yes, I do.

Quote:
This is post #211. I don't see any facts here.
Quote:

Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do.
And around we go again, by your own reasoning and 'proof' you aren't fully mentally capable so your judgment on the matter isn't to be fully trusted. Neither you nor IT has offered anything but personal opinion to justify the harsh and broad sweeping statements made regarding parents who have chosen to have their children earlier. Some of the opinions may have some validity, but they aren't applicable in a general sense as has been done repeatedly in this thread. Your repeated wiki link draws no correlation between medical brain maturity and the ability to successfully raise children conceived before that time. Not only that, IT has neglected to post the facts on the high risks associated with pregnancy over the age of 35. That leaves a pretty small window for procreation...if you want to talk about the 'ideal' time frame.

It is funny though, how I never really recognized shrunken brain syndrome until you repeatedly pointed it out to me.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
in my case, i didn't think..."oh goodie i am a young parent i get to have freedom in my 40's" or "oh god my life is over" we had to improvise, adapt and overcome. My concern was for feeding my marriage and raising my children to become self-sufficient, responsible adults. Partially cooked brain and all.
amen.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
And around we go again, by your own reasoning and 'proof' you aren't fully mentally capable so your judgment on the matter isn't to be fully trusted. Neither you nor IT has offered anything but personal opinion to justify the harsh and broad sweeping statements made regarding parents who have chosen to have their children earlier. Some of the opinions may have some validity, but they aren't applicable in a general sense as has been done repeatedly in this thread. Your repeated wiki link draws no correlation between medical brain maturity and the ability to successfully raise children conceived before that time. Not only that, IT has neglected to post the facts on the high risks associated with pregnancy over the age of 35. That leaves a pretty small window for procreation...if you want to talk about the 'ideal' time frame.
I never made any general statements about people having kids at a certain age. I made statements stating that some may have certain motives to having children at a certain age and some may have regret that they had children at a certain age. Never did I once state everyone who has children under the age of 30 will be bad parents.

The brain maturity comment was directed at a previous comment made which I quoted in a post. You do need to be mature in order to raise a kid I do not know how anyone can think other wise. Does that mean everyone whom is young is incapable of raising a child? No never did I once state that. My comment stated that you may regret the decision later on in life and had nothing to do with ability or inability to raise a child.

Quote:
It is funny though, how I never really recognized shrunken brain syndrome until you repeatedly pointed it out to me.
Oh, there you go again you must feel like a big man! Yea for you You should get a hamster

And.. :ignore:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting