Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:50 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I noticed that by high school, the same parents who have been involved since grade school are involved already, and the ones who aren't are not interested. The only thing I can suggest is if there has been some type of alienation of the parents who wanted to be involved, then you might work at correcting that. Has there been a faction which has monopolized all the decisions?
You could try a social event that parents would enjoy that would raise money, but not involve them coming to meetings.
I was able to attend daytime meetings because I worked at home, but any attempt at getting working parents to evening meetings always fell flat. We always had good support for our fundraisers, though, because the parents were willing to throw some money at a problem as long as they were left alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
You are not! You have good ideas. I do not live in Hartford, but work there, and the city needs parents like you! Some of the negative comments in this thread are from folks who do not understand the situation in Hartford.

I think the idea of a raffle or doorprize is a really good one. The flyer, also. Good luck-hope you get a good turnout!
I moved out of Hartford last month. I'm in Western Mass. now.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post

And I know this sounds terriblly manipulative - but how about offereing up a raffle prize to a lucky parent who show up at the next meeting - free car washes, starbucks card, something almost anyone could use - in fact if the kids can use it its even better - then maybe the flyer will make it into the parents' hands.

That is about what I was going to suggest!! If you go and ask politely, you would be surprised how many businesses are willing to donate goods or services for use in PTO's as doorprizes, what have you.

WE gave away a TV once....and a bike.

People are always suckers for something free LOL

Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I was referring to elementary aged children..or don't people in other parts of the country do that? In Oklahoma for the first couple of years at least parents walk their child into the classroom. Yes our teens need all the support we can give them. I still get into the building at least every 2 Weeks to see teachers in the hall just informally.
No, of course parents still walk their in their little ones. This thread was about high schoolers, so that's what I thought you meant.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
??

I thought it was elementary PTOs that were being discussed!

In our area, there is no active PTOs for Jr high & Sr high.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Yeah, look at the OP. The heading is high school PTO.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yep - I saw that when I last posted.

No PTO in our JH/SH, even though PTOs are well attended and very active in our elementary schools.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM

72 posts, read 133,202 times
I think you're off to a great start ~lots of good advice here~ I'd definately work the local business angle - Boosters!

It could be worse...
"Not one parent came to drug forum" (from my local paper yesterday)
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090206/FRONTPAGE/902060301

The comments are telling as well - everywhere from criticizing "not my little princess types" to "I never received notice". The wording on the flyer was arguably vague (included somewhere in the comments) but NOT ONE PARENT SHOWED UP in a town w/ it's own HS.

I only mention the fact that they have their own HS because my son's school incorporates students from several towns. Our turnout is usually pretty good for parent stuff considering the distance many make time to travel for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Leilani- You sound like a wonderful mom. I think it's great you want to energize your HS PTO. They often wax and wane, and your efforts might be just what gets it going again.

Parental involvement always seems to fade as the kids get older. I don't know why, but it happens.
I wish you luck! Our teens need us, and deserve our help!
Hear, Hear!!
But re: involvement dropping off as kids get older (???) ---
We learn to let our babies "go" by degree over time, hoping (praying) that they remember their manners and take "our" values with them. Giving your young adult the space to make their own choices (and the "right" sort of friends) is a leap of faith that most parents take.
Others chaperone dances (for example).

Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
I think phone calls would be a good start. During the phone call you could ask for email addresses. If the school has a website maybe you could post the information there as well.

I don't go to any PTA meetings anymore because they are too long. I went to one that was over an hour and a half!!!!! That's hard to sit through when I've been at work all day. At the meeting all I do is think about the dishes in the sink, lunches that need packed, an 8 yr old that needs to get in the shower & bed, etc etc etc. I would much rather get emails!

Last edited by wilmingtonangel; 02-07-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
I would be much more likely to attend a PTO meeting, or at least try to make it, if I got a live phone call.

It is a much more personal , one on one approach.

I don't think it would hurt that is for sure.

One thing I;d be sure to know is when the next meeting after the one you are calling about will be held. Just in case the person says they cannot come to the meeting you are calling about, you can say "well, if you'd like to mark your calendar now, the March meeting will be March 14. I hope to see you there if you can make it" or something like that.

I am assuming that the parents provided the phone number to the PTO at some point, that you are not getting the phone numbers from the school office. Is this the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting