Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes my points exactly.

As far as the 18 yo and 30 yo being different, that's very true. Many 18 year olds are still in high school and almost all would be no more than one year out of high school....which is where the 16 year old and 18 year old would have most likely met. That's drastically different than the 30 year old. Also, in my state (and I'm sure in many others), it is a serious crime for a 30 year old to have sex with a 16 year old but not a crime at all for an 18 year old to have sex with a 16 year old.

I agree 100%. I believe in my state the 18/16 would not be a crime, but an 18/14y.o. would be. It goes by age difference or something. Any 30 year old interested in a 16 year old has some serious issues. Hell, anyone over the age of about 21 or 22 interested in a 16 year old would be an issue if you ask me. They should definately be prosecuted!! Again, the ages should be available on a S.O. website.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I agree 100%. I believe in my state the 18/16 would not be a crime, but an 18/14y.o. would be. It goes by age difference or something. Any 30 year old interested in a 16 year old has some serious issues. Hell, anyone over the age of about 21 or 22 interested in a 16 year old would be an issue if you ask me. They should definately be prosecuted!! Again, the ages should be available on a S.O. website.
The law here allows for a difference of 3 years if the child is under 17. However, a 17 year old can consent to sex with anyone. I don't agree with that. Even though an 18 year old may be an "adult", I think a 30 year old with an 18 year old would be pretty messed up too.

As far as them being on a SO website, I don't know. I've stated that I'd like to see that limited to the worst of the worst. I don't think anyone who has consensual sex with a 16 yo is the "worst of the worst"....not to say it shouldn't be a crime though.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I'm not going to waste my time rehashing entire arguments with you so here's a summary. There's a difference between defending someone's right to be a pedophile and defending their Constitutional rights. Also, the site DOES NOT list every offense, of every offender, nor does it list their age or their victim's age in every case. I could barely finding any listings that contained that information in my hometown. And again I'll say to you what I've said to others who seem to condone some sort of vigilante behavior and seem to hate that some people have rights, I'm glad that the Constitution stands between people like you and the rights of everyone else, including people you don't like.
People like me? Vigilante action? If you say so... No body has a "right" to be a pedophile in this country and individuals who have been convicted for such offenses have no Constitutional rights. They were forfeit upon conviction. As usual my words have been taken completely out of context by someone who wishes to pass a lofty judgement down an present themselves as somehow superior in understanding and compassion to a poor ol' hillbilly like me. I do believe that I plainly stated that not EVERYONE on the offender role is a legitimate threat and that fact needs to be taken into account. However the ones on the books that are truly a threat need to be watched and the communities that these rodents have been planted in have a right to know who they are and what the level of danger they present is. Thankfully, despite people like you, that information is available. How would all the compassionate and empathetic folks out there feel if it were their child who was hurt by some creep that was planted in their area? Would the offenders "rights" be so important then? Or, perhaps these cretins would just pass the blame onto their own child as a result of their own sexuality?. I believe the subject here is sexual PREDATORS. Predator being the operative word. An individuals "Constitutional rights" are non sequiter when they choose to be a PREDATOR and I have more empathy and compassion for a calf killing coyote than I do for these individuals. At least the yote has an honest goal in mind and accepts the risk associated with his actions. Unlike the human sexual varmint that attempts to hide behind the Constitution and the protection of "compassionate" individuals.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
People like me? Vigilante action? If you say so... No body has a "right" to be a pedophile in this country and individuals who have been convicted for such offenses have no Constitutional rights. They were forfeit upon conviction.
That wasn't the argument I was trying to make. That was tango's argument. But I will say that...although predators DO need to have consequences and I fully believe that....the Constituiton even protects them...as it should.

The Constitution has to protect alleged offenders because accusations in these cases can be tossed around and it's very easy for someone to make an accusation and everyone believe it's 100% true. In these cases, it's almost literally a "guilty until proven innocent" instead of the other way around.

As far as convicted offenders, they still have the right to constitutional protections. I don't think the "LIST" is unconstitutional...I just think it feeds the paranoia and obsession. They need to be punished and they are a danger....the point is that there aren't big scary monsters waiting around every corner to snatch your children up and do terrible things to them the second you turn away. I don't know if you read some of the comments about family vs non-family but these offenses are almost ALWAYS committed by a family member or someone close to the child's family and NOT by one of the random strangers on the list.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
People like me? Vigilante action? If you say so... No body has a "right" to be a pedophile in this country and individuals who have been convicted for such offenses have no Constitutional rights. They were forfeit upon conviction. As usual my words have been taken completely out of context by someone who wishes to pass a lofty judgement down an present themselves as somehow superior in understanding and compassion to a poor ol' hillbilly like me. I do believe that I plainly stated that not EVERYONE on the offender role is a legitimate threat and that fact needs to be taken into account. However the ones on the books that are truly a threat need to be watched and the communities that these rodents have been planted in have a right to know who they are and what the level of danger they present is. Thankfully, despite people like you, that information is available. How would all the compassionate and empathetic folks out there feel if it were their child who was hurt by some creep that was planted in their area? Would the offenders "rights" be so important then? Or, perhaps these cretins would just pass the blame onto their own child as a result of their own sexuality?. I believe the subject here is sexual PREDATORS. Predator being the operative word. An individuals "Constitutional rights" are non sequiter when they choose to be a PREDATOR and I have more empathy and compassion for a calf killing coyote than I do for these individuals. At least the yote has an honest goal in mind and accepts the risk associated with his actions. Unlike the human sexual varmint that attempts to hide behind the Constitution and the protection of "compassionate" individuals.
I'm right there with you. Yes, sometimes innocent people are accused and their lives are ruined, but we are discussing CONVICTED sexual offenders.

If someone ever messed with one of my kids, family friend or not, they would be lucky if all they got was jail time! Someone who messes with children and steals their innocence does not deserve to be "protected". They gave that right up when they touched an innocent child (I'm talking about a pedophile). That's my opinion.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I'm right there with you. Yes, sometimes innocent people are accused and their lives are ruined, but we are discussing CONVICTED sexual offenders.

If someone ever messed with one of my kids, family friend or not, they would be lucky if all they got was jail time! Someone who messes with children and steals their innocence does not deserve to be "protected". They gave that right up when they touched an innocent child (I'm talking about a pedophile). That's my opinion.
They still deserve constitutional rights. They need to be punished and things need to be done to protect children. BUT, they deserve basic constitutional rights.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
They still deserve constitutional rights. They need to be punished and things need to be done to protect children. BUT, they deserve basic constitutional rights.
I don't know, if it was my kid they messed with, I wouldn't feel they deserved a single thing. I know it doesn't make it right, that is why the constitution is there, but that wouldn't be what was on my mind.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I don't know, if it was my kid they messed with, I wouldn't feel they deserved a single thing. I know it doesn't make it right, that is why the constitution is there, but that wouldn't be what was on my mind.
Yeah, I don't know how I'd react if it was my kid that was messed with and I unfortunately think I might become one of the "paranoid obsessives". I HOPE not though....because it wouldn't solve anything.

My point is that a convicted SO deserves constitutional protections to the same extent that a convicted murderer, drug dealer, child abuser, drunk driver, etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM

I follow you. I think I'd go crazy if it was my kid. I can't imagine what the parents go through. I just looked up the list in my area again and it's pretty detailed. Even gives you links to get more information right there on the page. Illinois Sex Offender registration is set up nice. Gives age of victim and offender at the time of the crime, what type of crime, ect.

I am not going to lock my kids up, though. I'm not going to let it get to me. I have to trust that I've taught them well and pray to God that when I'm not there to protect them, He will!! There isn't much else I can do. I want my kids to enjoy being kids.

Last edited by treeg26; 02-09-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I do not keep my young son cooped up at home, he goes off into the desert, over to the fishing hole, over to friends houses etc. However, I do not make a habit of letting him rome around alone when we go to the city on shopping trips, and it's a rare occasion when he goes alone anywhere other than the ranch. Thats not all in an attempt to keep off sexual predators though, some of the stuff he is off doing is risky, horseback, motorcycles beating the river bottom fishingetc, and the risk of injury is very real. I don't want him alone if something bad happens (and it has). Thankfully the practice of not going out alone has payed off as there was someone who could get help. One of the registered offenders in this area was seen hanging around the fishing hole that the kids frequent on a ranch adjacent to ours as well. The owner keeps the property open for the express purpose of giving the local kids a place to hang out and this fact got out to this creep. Well well well, the bush WAS a bear in this case. No one is immune and not being cautious is not a good idea. In this case the deputies informed this individual that they would not vouch for his safety if he continued to hang out where kids were known to frequent. It scared all us locals pretty good to. If a ranch in the middle of nowhwere can have a varmint like this pop up...anyplace can. Thankfully , like I said, nobody herebouts lets their kids traipse off alone very oftenen and there are myriad reasons for that and the practice has been prudent. Of course our local kids are pretty tough too and if the creep HAD tried anything at the bass pond it's quite likely that we would have found him trussed up and roasting over an open fire with the kids dancing around the flames like something from Lord of the Flies. Sure paints a picture any way. LMAO a bunch of toughern' bootleather ranch kids takin' care of business by golly. Strength in numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting