Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:53 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Exactly. I'm sure the incest cases are much more prevalent than we all know based on statistics. For the people who have gotten caught, here are the statistics on who they were in relation to the victim:

Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.
I don't think anybody is getting what you are saying. They hold on to that paranoia like a three year old with a teddy bear. To them, we all should be hiding in our houses with the drapes drawn because there are monsters everywhere, lurking, waiting for our kids to walk out the door so they can pounce on them and rape them. They hold tight to the notion that every stranger they see will molest or rape their kids. Every person in their neighborhood is a pervert.

To live with that paranoia with no rhyme or reason, must be exhausting.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I don't think anybody is getting what you are saying. They hold on to that paranoia like a three year old with a teddy bear. To them, we all should be hiding in our houses with the drapes drawn because there are monsters everywhere, lurking, waiting for our kids to walk out the door so they can pounce on them and rape them. They hold tight to the notion that every stranger they see will molest or rape their kids. Every person in their neighborhood is a pervert.

People also don't get that this paranoia will damage their kids.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I'm sure the incest cases are much more prevalent than we all know based on statistics. For the people who have gotten caught, here are the statistics on who they were in relation to the victim:

Most sexual abuse offenders are acquainted with their victims; approximately 30% are relatives of the child, most often fathers, uncles or cousins; around 60% are other acquaintances such as friends of the family, babysitters, or neighbors; strangers are the offenders in approximately 10% of child sexual abuse cases.
It's probably actually more so because I'm sure it's LESS likely to be reported if it's a family member...ESPECIALLY a parent.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's probably actually more so because I'm sure it's LESS likely to be reported if it's a family member...ESPECIALLY a parent.
That's true, because in the cases of family, people tend to hide their heads in the sand and go into denial.

Funny, because I would be more worried about that, than someone lurking behind a bush waiting for me to turn my back on my kid.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Funny, because I would be more worried about that, than someone lurking behind a bush waiting for me to turn my back on my kid.
Situations like that are so rare...they probably happen like 10 times a year in the entire country.

I'm not saying to not know who the sex offenders are. But, you can't let them control your lives. And you SHOULD be more concerned about people you know than people you don't know. The best thing to do is to talk to your kids about what's appropriate and what's not and tell them to tell you if ANYONE is doing anything that's not OK.

Knowing who the sex offenders are and not living near them and treating that as what's going to keep your kids safe creates a very false illusion of safety.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,455 times
Not to open up another can of worms, but I also hope that those who are worried about this the most are not only being vigilant about people they can potentially physically see in their neighborhoods, but also being vigilant about who their children are coming into contact with through technology devices. This is another topic for another thread but you have more to worry about there actually.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
i don't think anybody is getting what you are saying. They hold on to that paranoia like a three year old with a teddy bear. To them, we all should be hiding in our houses with the drapes drawn because there are monsters everywhere, lurking, waiting for our kids to walk out the door so they can pounce on them and rape them. They hold tight to the notion that every stranger they see will molest or rape their kids. Every person in their neighborhood is a pervert.

qft.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:37 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
You're definitely allowed to say the name of the town, this is a board about cities after all, lol. I think they don't publish these names because if someone is motivated to find the names themselves, it isn't difficult. Most parents who would be concerned about this are aware that this information is made available online and is easily accessible. At the same time, there may be some people who don't care, but hear the names and decide to make trouble. Also, point of contention, they're not all animals and I hope you checked their individual offenses instead of just assuming that all of them molested babies or something equally repusive. Not everyone gets on the list for raping children, sometimes it's a 17 year old-22 year old deal or a public urination deal. Just make sure to check on that sort of thing before you go off half-cocked trying to run them out of town or something.
Not everyone who is a registered sex offender is a child molester.

I have a friend who has to be registered who got convicted for having sex with his 16yr old gf and he had just turned 18 at the time.

Also I know people that got caught mooning while drunk had to be registered.

While it is disturbing, it might not be as bad as it seems, and why harass and punish people that have already paid their dues to society and want to live lawful peaceful lives?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Some of these responces are very disturbing to me!! Defending a sex offender is just rediculous. The poster said nothing of running them out of town.

I look up sex offenders in my area every so often. YES, it is RIGHT that there is a list available of registered s.o. because MANY sex offenders will be a repeat offender!! I don't feel that a child molester can be "cured". This is what makes it different that someone with a DUI or domestic battery, which by the way are listed in the local newspaper every week!!

Of course, we need to keep in mind that these are the people that were actually CAUGHT. There are many out there that have not been caught. We need to teach our children to trust their gut and when something doesn't feel right they need to tell us, the parent. Don't talk to strangers, get in the car with anyone without Mom/Dad's ok first, ect.

In my area (online) you can get a discription of the crime and the age range of the victim so you can tell if it was a boyfriend/girlfriend type deal or a violent child preditor. That way you can keep things in perspective.

BTW: I recieve a recorded phone call reminding me to check the S.O. website from time to time. I wonder if that means that someone has moved into my area????
Not everyone that is on the list is a child molester!!!!!

Should a teenage boy be harassed for LIFE cause he F'ed his 16yr old girlfriend!? HELL no!!!

Should someone be harassed for life cause they were drunk and mooned someone or pee'd in public?! HELL no!!!

Should someone be harassed for life cause they worked in a strip club and their club got raided (even if they did NOTHING legally wrong!)?! Hell no!!!

Not all sexual offender cases are cut and dry.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Once a sex offender, always a sex offender.
BULL!

I call total BS on that statement!

That is NOT true, and until you can provide FACTS to back it up, I will continue to call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting