Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM

214 posts, read 915,864 times

Advertisements

I am exhausted, my husband is exhausted - my 3 yr old....well, he's ready to run a marathon. I have no idea what to do. I've tried everything to get him to go to bed. I could careless if he sleeps at this point, I just want him to stay in his bed.

I have tried:

1-Letting him cry it out (since before thanksgiving)
2-Benadryl (hahahaha)
3-Laying with him...FOR 3 HOURS
4-Reading
5-Having a strict bedtime routine that we tried for 3 weeks with no progress
6-locking doors - we live in a apt and he just bangs on the door. I am not in the mood for dept of family/children services showing up b/c of a complaint from my EVIL neighbor
7-Putting him to bed repeatedly, speaking to him and not speaking to him

Any other suggestions that does not involve duct taping him to the bed??

He used to be the poster child for bedtime routines, what happened?

Anyone tried Hylands Calms Forte for Kids? This has been going on since Fall 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Get his little hiney out of bed first thing in the morning and keep him busy all day. A short nap to keep him from being over-tired and voila, should work.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Maybe a silly question, but what time does he get up in the morning? And does he nap?

I'd make sure he's up at 6:30am and forget the nap if you're giving him one. After a few days, he should be exhausted and ready for bed by 7-7:30pm.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
What does your pediatrician say? I just saw something on TV recently about a couple whose son never slept and they found out he had some kind of medical problem and remedied it.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
I have a 6 year old and 2 year old are the same. Both have been since birth. We adopted them they are both born from a Drug using birth Mom so they have sensory issues. My Two year could not sleep all day that is her plan not mine. She at this point is still in her crib and I hope for a long while. I put her in bed everyday at the same time both for nap and bedtime. But in the middle of the night you will hear her she is fine but has no sleeping clock. The 6 year old will take forever to go to sleep. It could be 11:00 and he still won't be sleeping. They both had PT and you can do rubs and deep joint compressions. I would bring up the issue with your childs doctor. One thing I have learned is my 6 year has to move all the time. So the more he does that while awake the sleepier he is at night. I know it hard. My son who is 6 was suppose to have a sleep study before we moved. they said that some children and this was the U of M hospital that were said to have ADD AND ADHD really had sleep disporders.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
He isn't getting caffiene beverages or lots of sugary stuff is he?? ( i know i know, some say there is no proof, but I do think it matters
Just a thought that maybe his diet has him yo yoing.
Don't know what else off the top of my head ( I remember combing my DD's hair for a hour at a time to get her to sleep!)
Good luck, I know you young moms have some tough times.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 AM

214 posts, read 915,864 times
He gets up between 6:30-6:45 am to get ready for daycare. He's running around all day there and they nap btwn 1-1.5 hrs @ 12:30. He sleeps roughly 7 hrs at night.

I do not allow him to have a lot of sugar and caffiene is a no-no. Can you have them tested for ADD at 3? Is it even dectable at such a young age?

I have left a message w/his dr and hopefully I hear back soon.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
It is difficult to test at this age but not impossible. My youngest daughter was tested at 5 and diagnosed. Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Is he generally disobedient and defiant or only at bedtime? I suspect his inappropriate behavior is not only at bedtime or you wouldn't think about testing for some disorder. How is he at daycare...does he nap and behave well for them?

Have you tried having a reasonable (and age appropriate) conversation with him at a time other than bedtime? 3 year olds have pretty good comprehension and can understand consequences related to actions.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
If he's 3, personally i'd try cutting the NAP out entirely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting