Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Thanks for posting that.

I've met people so terrified of vaccinations that they have chosen to not take their children to the doctor at all. Irresponsible, in my opinion. If you don't want them, at least have the gumption to fight the doctor and get your children basic medical oversight. My friend, a naturopath, is having her kids vaccinated, but on the schedule she chooses. I wish more people would take that route instead of completely running scared.

Are they really not getting any medical attention for their children when they're sick? Or are you referring to those who don't dutifully march their babies into germy doctor's offices every month or two for a routine checkup? There is a school of thought that says "well visits" can be counter-productive... when they're sick, they need medical attention. When they're not sick, though, bringing them into where sick kids are hanging out all day just exposes them to all of nasty germs that I personally would rather avoid.

Also, many parents opt to bring their children to naturopaths or chiropractors or homeopaths instead of MDs. That is also not neglecting to get "medical oversight." It's simply choosing a different sort of practitioner.

No parent should have to fight any doctor over their beliefs. They can certainly feel free to simply find a new doctor/healthcare worker. You hire a doctor to do a job, which is to act as a medical consultant in the care of your child. If the doctor you choose is instead harrassing you over decisions that you've already made, then it's time to fire him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Are they really not getting any medical attention for their children when they're sick? Or are you referring to those who don't dutifully march their babies into germy doctor's offices every month or two for a routine checkup? There is a school of thought that says "well visits" can be counter-productive... when they're sick, they need medical attention. When they're not sick, though, bringing them into where sick kids are hanging out all day just exposes them to all of nasty germs that I personally would rather avoid.
Our ped has 2 waiting rooms. One for sick kids and one for well kids.

That eliminates any reason to not bring the kid in for well baby check up.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Our ped has 2 waiting rooms. One for sick kids and one for well kids.

That eliminates any reason to not bring the kid in for well baby check up.
But it doesn't really give a reason that bringing your healthy baby into the doctor every two months is necessary. Perhaps not inherently harmful, but not really necessary.

My pediatrician has two waiting rooms, but freely admits that it really makes no difference when it comes to preventing kids from catching illnesses. Do they also have two sets of examination rooms? Does the doctor change jackets in between patients? I ask this, because I have noticed in several doctors' offices, you walk into the room with your child, and the nurse at that time pulls the paper roll on the exam table, giving you a fresh seat. They throw out the little papery thing on the baby scale and stick a new one on it. The exam table itself is not wiped, the baby scale is not wiped, etc.

I'm not trying to act like a germophobe, because I"m not... I fully believe that kids need to get colds and little viruses to stimulate their immune systems. I'm just saying that a lot of the illnesses that you might bring your baby in for were possibly caught at the "well visit" in the first place. If you're going there for shots or because you have a concern, then that's a reason to go. If you have no concerns about your child and you are passing on the shots, then it's fine to go if you want to, but it's not "medical neglect" to not go.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Bean, you make some good points. But, yes, in the two cases I know, the kids are getting zero medical care. So, they ride out any illnesses that arise. Happily, nothing serious has happened and I'm sure a true medical emergency would drive them to the ER. But, even if you don't want to follow the typical "well visit" schedule, it's probably not a bad idea to have a couple visits with a doctor in the first years. In my thinking, that can mean going to a naturopath. Chances are, nothing will be wrong - people survived without doctors for a long time. I guess my umbrage arose because they made the choice out of fear of having to argue with a doctor. I say have that argument or do some research to find a doctor willing to support or at least respect your beliefs. Hope that made sense.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
Quote:

Also, many parents opt to bring their children to naturopaths or chiropractors or homeopaths instead of MDs. That is also not neglecting to get "medical oversight." It's simply choosing a different sort of practitioner.

No parent should have to fight any doctor over their beliefs. They can certainly feel free to simply find a new doctor/healthcare worker. You hire a doctor to do a job, which is to act as a medical consultant in the care of your child. If the doctor you choose is instead harrassing you over decisions that you've already made, then it's time to fire him!
sorry, most chiropractors are quacks. Most of the D.O. docs I work with wouldn't let a chiropractor touch them.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:

that's right, because you, the lay person, knows way more about pediatrics than someone that spent 10 years studying.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
But it doesn't really give a reason that bringing your healthy baby into the doctor every two months is necessary. Perhaps not inherently harmful, but not really necessary.

My pediatrician has two waiting rooms, but freely admits that it really makes no difference when it comes to preventing kids from catching illnesses. Do they also have two sets of examination rooms? Does the doctor change jackets in between patients? I ask this, because I have noticed in several doctors' offices, you walk into the room with your child, and the nurse at that time pulls the paper roll on the exam table, giving you a fresh seat. They throw out the little papery thing on the baby scale and stick a new one on it. The exam table itself is not wiped, the baby scale is not wiped, etc.

I'm not trying to act like a germophobe, because I"m not... I fully believe that kids need to get colds and little viruses to stimulate their immune systems. I'm just saying that a lot of the illnesses that you might bring your baby in for were possibly caught at the "well visit" in the first place. If you're going there for shots or because you have a concern, then that's a reason to go. If you have no concerns about your child and you are passing on the shots, then it's fine to go if you want to, but it's not "medical neglect" to not go.
you do realize that the well visits are to check and make sure your child is developing properly so that if something is wrong, they can catch it before it becomes a lifelong problem?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
sorry, most chiropractors are quacks. Most of the D.O. docs I work with wouldn't let a chiropractor touch them.
Hm. My orthopedic surgeon, dentist, midwife, and wrist surgeon all DO go to the chiropractor, and have all at one time or another recommended that I go to the chiropractor too (which I do). Are you referring to Doctors of Osteopathy? Or something else?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Hm. My orthopedic surgeon, dentist, midwife, and wrist surgeon all DO go to the chiropractor, and have all at one time or another recommended that I go to the chiropractor too (which I do). Are you referring to Doctors of Osteopathy? Or something else?
...and I tought D.O. docs were pro-chiro....

Our former primary doc was a D.O. and his office was next door to my wife's chiro. He actually sent her to the chiro a few times when she was having issues with her back.

I used to have the opinion that chiro's were quacks but after I injured my back I was desperate enough to go see my wife's chiro. He didn't instantly cure me but he definitly helped me get better faster than I would have otherwise.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
They measure and check the development of the child, seems harmless enough. I cannot see why someone would be against the doctor making sure your child was developing on schedule and had not dropped in height or weight that could indicate a larger problem. I don't think you have to do it if it really really causes you to fret about it, but i really don't see why you would not when it is covered by insurance at no cost to you and you have a medical professional checking the child over. I guess i just don't see what is the big deal to go to the doctor.

Quote:
All our stuff is seperate, exams rooms and they hose everything off in between patients because they did it before i set the kids down.
None of my children have ever caught anything from the doctors office. Now at chuck-e-cheese and the park? YES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting