Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,648,300 times

Advertisements

I used to drive my grandmother from our house to hers when I was 12 years old. Was always going to the store for my mom by the age of 13. My dad was a trucker and he had very strict rules on how to drive and taught me. He was a hard taskmaster, even had to do the dreaded parallel park. When I finally went thru drivers ed, our school car had not come in, so we were regulated to the on the column 3-speed school work truck that was falling apart. SInce I had driving experience, I got to drive (bummed I didn't get that nice car!). I drove the school instructor all over the place, to gather stray cows, go to adjoining towns to his bank, etc.

Out of the 20 something in the class, I was the only one to score a 100 on both driving and written. And the highway patrol instructor laughed when I asked him if I had to parallel park. His idea of a driving test was to allow me many right turns as we went around a block!

Both my sons started at around 12 to 13. The oldest driving dh's old work truck during the summer while they were working. Heck, he even drove the trencher and backhoe!

The youngest started on 4-wheelers and graduated to a motorcycle at age of 12. He was driving with dh on main roads and 4-lane roads by the age of 14. He is a good driver and knows more than any instructor will be able to teach him in the short time they have drivers ed.

Many of you will say this is wrong, but around here, almost all parents do this. We want to know that when our kids get behind the wheel of a vehicle without us, they are prepared as best as possible for whatever problems come up.

OF course, we do not live in a large city, and live in a rural environment. It is common to see kids on tractors and in work trucks at an early age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,475,112 times
I don't mind practicing somewhere "safe" with a 13 year old. But then again, I think that 16 is too young for driving, legally, by yourself. Get all the practice they want, but I think the driving age should be higher.

A car can be a killing machine. I also think that there should be more testing for people over a certain age, lots of senior citizens get into accidents due to deteriotation (spelling is wrong). I know that other people cause accidents too, but we can't control everything. We can try to prevent some.

Then again, I also don't think it should be legal that you're allowed to fight for your control, but not drink a beer. If someone can die in fighting, someone should be allowed to drink a beer first! I don't think the drinking age should be lowered........but the entering the army should be higher.

These are JMO.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,963,937 times
In our rural area, it's legal for a 14 year old to have a limited driver's license to drive from home to school or job, although they may not carry passengers until 15 years old.

Most of these kids have several years of experience driving/operating farm equipment by then, including tractors, trucks, and self-powered equipment (loaders, swathers, etc). Many have been driving a car or truck from their house to their school bus pick-up point down a private road/driveway, possibly on a public road for some distance ... for years. It's not uncommon to see several vehicles parked on the side road just a few yards from the intersection, every school day ... waiting for the school bus to drop off the kids so they can drive on homeward, which can be a couple of miles. The "older" kids typically drop the younger ones off on their way homeward .... saves the parents having to make the round trip twice a day to the school bus pick up point. This happens in all weather situations ... some of which would be very daunting for most city dwellers with plowed streets in the winter months.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM

58 posts, read 139,313 times
My friend used to drive his drunk uncle and father home after they'd been on the pub on the countryside when he was about 12 so...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,407,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was actually kind of shocked to find this out but my daughter has a friend whos mother lets her 13 year old drive the car! I actually saw the video they made- and while it is in an empty parking lot- it seems rather funny that the mother would actually allow a 13 year old to take the wheel of a car. I have never known any kid that drove a car until they were at least 15 or so. Do you think this is OK or too young?
That's funny! Heck no, lol. I don't even want a 15 or 16 year old driving. But you know what? Kids mature at different rates depending on their personalities and life experiences.. but in general the thought of anyone in high school out on the road.. wigs me out. Most just don't seem to have a serious understanding of consequences.. most of them are spoiled rotten. I don't want to be on the road w/ these types.. throw a book worm or introverted 15/16 year old behind the wheel and I'd feel safer.
But.. I guess I'm stereotyping there, aren't I? Lol..
At any rate, I drove young.. I was a regular bada** with a lot of 'tude and don't really have much room to talk.
I'll let those with less blemishes on their record decide for us.....

Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,607,537 times
I agree with the majority of you guys, and just can't understand the others, lol.

I was driving tractors by myself in the fields when I was 7 or so. By age 11-12, I was in the grain truck driving to and from the fields to the lots. I think I am a MUCH better driver for it, than those kids that never got the chance to drive before the got their permit/license.

Yeah, I let my 9yr old drive the truck on back roads on Sunday afternoons. It helps her become a better driver in the long run, I can help her, little to no pressure, and she is more responsible for it. She's also great with the 4 wheeler and her 49cc motorcycle.

Besides in the next few years, she will be going deer hunting with us, and if something happens (G-d forbid!!!) someone will have to get us out of the woods!

As far as the other go, I don't see how teaching my child a important life skill (while admittedly breaking a law) is a bad thing. Just because it's a law, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,363,357 times
In an empty parking lot or a country road where no one is around, I see nothing wrong with a parent **TEACHING** their child to drive.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,421,008 times
My father learned to drive a car when he was 9. He also had a milk route using a horse, so that should give you an idea of how long ago it was. But, a 13-year-old learning to drive a car in a parking lot is not a problem. What is legal or illegal and what is morally right do not always go hand in hand.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM

140 posts, read 857,865 times
I started driving when I was 14. When we used to visit my grandmother my dad would take me over to the school complex (weekends) and let me drive around the complex, practice parking, backing, etc. I've been driving for 32 yrs (31 legally) and have not had a ticket or accident in almost 20 yrs.
I put about 25k miles on my truck a yr so I am on the road a good bit (1100 miles last weekend)
Being required to take a Emergency Vehicle Operator Course as a member of the fire dept doesn't hurt either.
After hearing more and more teens talking about it took them 3 times to pass the drivers test at the DMV I think more practice the better.
My 13 yr old son wanted to try driving in our driveway (300 ft) last yr , so I let him try he said " its alot harder then on the game (Grand turismo). So I think he understands its not like a game.
Now my step daughter (from previous marrage) tried driving the lawn tractor when she just turned 15 (now 16) and had a hard time at it. She is not in a hurry to get her learners permit.
So what comes easy to some at 13,14,15 may come hard to others at 16+.

Last edited by BOBBB17037; 02-19-2009 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,407,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
In an empty parking lot or a country road where no one is around, I see nothing wrong with a parent **TEACHING** their child to drive.
**OK** ..I hear ya. But I have a (almost) 13 y/o daughter and she's a good, some-what responsible kid. Trying to be objective.. I'll still say that among the lot of her peers, she's one of them that has her stuff together. But.. she's not ready to be behind a car imo. If I felt like she were ready.. yes I'd feel comfortable breaking the law and I'd take her to a nice safe area to drive around and teach her.. but I don't think she's ready. I'm looking forward to teaching her, though, I'm not scared.. I just think operating a car is a *huge* milestone in her life and she's not there, yet. A kid that learns how to drive a car (imo) should also be a kid who is really good at self-monitoring.. setting goals for themseves (by themself).. and achieving those goals.. seeking out help (by themselves when they recognize they need it), etc. That's how I feel.. and just like one can argue that I'm not in a position to tell someone when they're 'allowed' to teach their kid to drive.. don't tell me that my approach is wrong, either. My kid is too much of a kid.. when she starts behaving like a young adult.. I'll be proud to show her the ropes. =my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting