Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

I wanna drive too, and ive drove on my street and in a parking lot. it was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:15 PM

417 posts, read 345,115 times
At eight I was driving my grandpa's 806 Farmall a mile or more to other peoples farm so I could help them out. At 10 my great uncle got very sick so I had to take care of him he lived 3 miles away, so I took the rusty 1966 F100 out by myself. I could barely see over the steering wheel, but I was the only one to be there if my uncle needed something. It may not have been the safest thing in the world but I survived. It is a lot safer when the kid is with the parents, learning at that age. Most my friends parents took them into a field at that age and taught them how to drive. Now it's a lot less normal.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,580,710 times
I remember driving a neighbors truck on his property when we were too little to reach the pedals. One person steered and the other pressed gas/brakes. Still surprised the parents let us do that...

But 13 in a deserted parking lot or on private property is fine with me. Driving on streets or around other cars, no.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,455,093 times
I learned to drive at age 14. Was pretty easy, and I had it down in no time.

But, this was deserted parking lot, or large area of private land. I didn't go on the streets til I legally could.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM

4,269 posts, read 6,290,988 times
I may have already posted on this thread, but my grandmother lived in the country (and I mean COUNTRY) in central Virginia and the roads were so empty that she thought nothing of letting my 13-year-old self drive to the next town over (on major/minor roadways (not HIGHWAYS though)) when I was visiting during summer break. She was always in the car with me - I didn't drive alone.

By the time I took driver's ed at 15 years old, I was an old hat at driving. To the point where when my grandmother and I took a trip to Nashville the month after I got my license, she let me drive most of the way from Virginia to TN as well as all over Nashville during the trip.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,800,436 times
13? Too young.

However, South Dakota issues licenses beginning at 14 years, 3 months, and several states issues permits at age 14. Still too young, in my opinion, though I can perhaps see circumstances for hardship licenses being issued at younger ages, only for use in limited circumstances.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 PM

997 posts, read 935,754 times
Situations are different. Some people are rural and I don't think it is a big deal, especially on private property.

I live in a city and there are empty lots that I would not object to an underage person practicing on but it is illegal. To me, it isn't worth it to take a chance at getting a ticket. Where I live, there are cops on patrol and it could happen.

There is nothing wrong with waiting until you have your permit either. Again, that depends on where you live.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,760,873 times
I was driving farm equipment down public roads starting about age 10. I was driving the farm truck starting about age 13. When I took drivers ed at 15, it was so easy! I got 100% on my permit test at 15 and drivers test at 16. I taught my sons all to drive, but not until they had their permits. (Although they did drive a bobcat and a 4 wheeler pretty regularly at grandpa's place.)

Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 756 times
I think it is completely fine, I'm 13 and I took my grandpas van (with permission) around our neighbor hood (which is big) and I drove around it with him in and out of the vehicle and I would say I passed 2 or 3 cops (they were cool cops) They stopped me and asked me why i was driving a car underage. They pulled me over with my grandpa in and not in the vehicle. When they asked me why I was driving I simply explained to them that I'm nearing the age of a permit and I wanna be prepared for anything I need for the tests and all they did is ask for my NCIC (I have a military id) and they made sure I wasn't stopped for it before. After they said to me "As long as your safe, not causing a disturbance, and only staying in the neghibor hood I was fine and free to continue my driving"

Old 12-08-2016, 11:53 AM

14,297 posts, read 11,664,266 times
Times have certainly changed. These days a lot of parents won't even let their 13-year-old sit in the front passenger seat.

I have a 13 (almost 14-)year-old daughter and I am not inclined to let her drive yet, even in a parking lot, but I don't think it's a crazy idea. She has friends who are older 14s or young 15s and they do this with their parents, even though none is quite old enough for a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting