Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM

301 posts, read 804,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I don't know. I don't think I could or would want to raise a disabled baby..
How un-compassionate.

Disabled people are just as important as able people. In fact, disabled people MAKE us thankful for the things we do have and can do. They teach us things about life. They teach us patience and understanding. They keep us grounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Sometimes parents of severaly disabled babies are full of false hope. They do everything to keep that baby alive - at any cost - using any life-sustaining method. The doctors tell them prognosis is grim and suggest a DNR order, but the parents refuse. The baby can't see, can't hear, can't blink, can't clear his own secretions, is on a feeding tube, is not developing at all in any way - yet the parents say, We will get a miracle and my baby will recover and be fine. It's so sad, and the parents are delusional, but the parents are the ones with the final say. Period.

(The health insurance companies only wish they had the final say! We know how that would go.)

Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
How un-compassionate.

Disabled people are just as important as able people. In fact, disabled people MAKE us thankful for the things we do have and can do. They teach us things about life. They teach us patience and understanding. They keep us grounded.
Yes. This idea is insane and very very wrong.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Sometimes parents of severaly disabled babies are full of false hope. They do everything to keep that baby alive - at any cost - using any life-sustaining method. The doctors tell them prognosis is grim and suggest a DNR order, but the parents refuse. The baby can't see, can't hear, can't blink, can't clear his own secretions, is on a feeding tube, is not developing at all in any way - yet the parents say, We will get a miracle and my baby will recover and be fine. It's so sad, and the parents are delusional, but the parents are the ones with the final say. Period.

(The health insurance companies only wish they had the final say! We know how that would go.)
IF they are on life support that's different, but as I understood this it was also talking about babies that are severely disabled but can still breathe.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 AM

153 posts, read 521,109 times
I am totally opposed to this. The article is not talking about letting these babies go by not using extrodinary measures (life support machines, etc.) to keep them alive. The article specifically said "active euthanasia". There is absolutely no way that I could support that.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
How un-compassionate.

I've never felt a disabled person taught me anything. And I believe this topic is all about our opinions. My opinion is that |I would never want to have a handicapped kid.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Disabled people don't teach me anything except what kind of kids I wouldn't want to have.
I agree I wouldn't WANT to have a disabled child...but I would love him or her the same I would any other child. That comment sounds very cruel and cold.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 AM

I modified it so it came out sounding better. I agree my previous comment came out a tad wrong.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
I still don't know where I stand. I think more on the "hell no" side!

I keep wondering...What would a parent say to others?

Would it sound something like "I mercy killed my baby at birth because she was disabled," or "I put my little angel down at birth because she was disabled."

I just can't see how it sounds "ok" outloud!

Adults can't even make the decision to die peacefully and with dignity if they are in horrible pain or have disease in which there is no cure and death is DEFINITE!

Yet, some want to make the choice for a little baby? I think the choice might be for the parents NOT for the children.

I've worked with disabled adults and children. I'm talking "can't walk drooling all over people. I've seen the happiness on the faces of some of these kids. Yes they might not be able to ride bikes or eat cake or have sleepovers or enjoy love and sex with a mate, but they don't know that. You can't miss what you don't know! So if you commit your life as a parent to helping your disabled baby/child to see and feel as much happiness this world has to offer those little angels they CAN be happy.

I still don't know though. This is only my first outloud thought.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM

But if the kid is happy, would the parent be? Knowing that kid will never leave their house or care, they will never be able to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting