Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes they might not be able to ride bikes or eat cake or have sleepovers or enjoy love and sex with a mate, but they don't know that.
Many parents nowadays do not allow their kids to ride bikes, eat cake, or have sleepovers because of paranoia and because they feel it is too "dangerous"....whether the kids are disabled or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
IF they are on life support that's different, but as I understood this it was also talking about babies that are severely disabled but can still breathe.
No, I am not talking about babies on life support. I am talking about babies at home, not on a vent.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
No, I am not talking about babies on life support. I am talking about babies at home, not on a vent.
I was confused because you said "any life-sustaining method". As far as I'm concerned, as long as they can breathe, "mercy killings" are very wrong no matter what their disabilities may be.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
Many parents nowadays do not allow their kids to ride bikes, eat cake, or have sleepovers because of paranoia and because they feel it is too "dangerous"....whether the kids are disabled or not.
I'm not sure if this is just a comment or it has something to do with the OP. I don't see how it relates

Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'm not sure if this is just a comment or it has something to do with the OP. I don't see how it relates
It doesn't have anything to do with you (don't worry). I was just making a point that these activities do not occur for many children regardless of whether they are PHYSICALLY possible and whether the children are disabled or not.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,572 times
Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with you (don't worry). I was just making a point that these activities do not occur for many children regardless of whether they are PHYSICALLY possible and whether the children are disabled or not.

Got it

Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,068,886 times
The only way I can answer this is from my own experience. My father was severely wounded in Korea. One time we were talking about abortion and I was SHOCKED to hear him say, "If the baby would be handicapped like I am, then it would be a blessing to be aborted." I knew he was depressed at times even though he denied it. He never wanted medication for it, he was afraid of it. But his life had been saved on the field in Korea and he always had a will. He willed himself to live and he functioned at his own level, which wasn't to bad for a quadriplegic.

My question is... Who gets to make the decision? Who draws up the criteria? When it gets narrower and narrower down to the point that mild retardation qualifies..then what? In theory I agree. But...I had a child that was born disabled but very correctable with ONE surgery. With some others it took several surgeries. She was born with her sagittal suture already closed. Basically she didn't have a soft spot. With that one surgery and 7 days in the hospital..she has turned out perfectly normal. Does she qualify? I don't know.... but I don't think I would want to hand the decisions to a bunch of dollar looking bureaucrats.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
The only way I can answer this is from my own experience. My father was severely wounded in Korea. One time we were talking about abortion and I was SHOCKED to hear him say, "If the baby would be handicapped like I am, then it would be a blessing to be aborted." I knew he was depressed at times even though he denied it. He never wanted medication for it, he was afraid of it. But his life had been saved on the field in Korea and he always had a will. He willed himself to live and he functioned at his own level, which wasn't to bad for a quadriplegic.

My question is... Who gets to make the decision? Who draws up the criteria? When it gets narrower and narrower down to the point that mild retardation qualifies..then what? In theory I agree. But...I had a child that was born disabled but very correctable with ONE surgery. With some others it took several surgeries. She was born with her sagittal suture already closed. Basically she didn't have a soft spot. With that one surgery and 7 days in the hospital..she has turned out perfectly normal. Does she qualify? I don't know.... but I don't think I would want to hand the decisions to a bunch of dollar looking bureaucrats.
I'm generally against abortion. I'm on the fence about whether it should be allowed in cases where it is known that the child will be SEVERELY disabled. As far as killing the child AFTER birth, I think it should not be allowed under any circumstances (except in the case of withdrawing life support).

Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 PM

57 posts, read 198,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
I knew a wee lad that was born without a majority of his brain...birth family didn't want him and left his fate to others. A couple, with hearts as big as the sun, said we will take him. There was a lot THEY said he'd never do. Well THEY were right a fair bit, but there were things he did do and it amazed THEY, the doctors, speechless. The biggest thing this wee lad did was teach humility and love and compassion for the less forunate, during his short nine yrs on earth. I know...I saw it in his smile and it touched my heart.
God bless, I have a Goddaughter who is eight years old. For some unforsaken reason, she is not expected to go much further. I think it is up to the people who are going through this pain who should decide. No one else. Those of us who have healthy children cannot elaborate. It's different when the child is suffering.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I've never felt a disabled person taught me anything. And I believe this topic is all about our opinions. My opinion is that |I would never want to have a handicapped kid.

Nicola Tesla is very strongly suspected of having autism or at the very least aspergers. Wonder what would have happened had he been euthanized for being handicapped and unable to teach folks anything?
Many autistic savants in our history have been prodigous contributers to the arts, literature, engineering, mathmatics and other fields. Where would we be without their contributions. Equally, other disabled folks have grown and contributed to our world. I would call Helen Keller severely disabled but she contributed too and led a good life despite her limitations. We may see a blind person as disabled, I have to ask myself if they see themselves that way. Maybe they are just different.

In any case, this is a slippery slope. I can agree that children on total life support may have that withdrawn but beyond that.....the idea of active euthanasia is abhorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting