Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 AM

19 posts, read 58,231 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what arrangements other have in this situation.

How old are the kids?
How often does the parent visit?
How often do the kids visit the other parent?
Who pays for the traveling?
Who is responsible for bringing the kids to the other parents state?
If the visiting parent has no family in the other parents' state do they stay in a hotel and rent a car?
Did you notice a decline in visits as time went on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM

831 posts, read 2,439,067 times
How old are the kids? 13,11,11
How often does the parent visit? he never comes to florida they always go to see him

How often do the kids visit the other parent? approx every three months during school breaks and holidays
Who pays for the traveling? we split the cost
Who is responsible for bringing the kids to the other parents state? they fly unaccompanied minor on the airline and meet them at the gate
If the visiting parent has no family in the other parents' state do they stay in a hotel and rent a car?we talked about this but he wanted me to pay 1/2 of all his expenses here to.. airfare, hotel, car etc was cheaper to fly them.
Did you notice a decline in visits as time went on? yes and no. Its in our divorce settlement the arrangement but the phone calls are pretty much non existant now.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
How old are the kids? One kid, situation was from when she was 2 until she was 12
How often does the parent visit? Parent didn't visit, she went to visit parent.
How often do the kids visit the other parent? 6 1/2 weeks every summer, set by judge.
Who pays for the traveling? Each parent had to pay one way transportation (judge)
Who is responsible for bringing the kids to the other parents state? If ex wanted her, ex had to come get her. When it was time for her to return back here, if I wanted her, I went and picked her up.
If the visiting parent has no family in the other parents' state do they stay in a hotel and rent a car? Ex drove here and stayed with my sister once, most though, it was motels on the way. Neither of us stayed longer than it took to pick her up either way.
Did you notice a decline in visits as time went on? Daughter refused to go at 12 and never went back. Ex never called after that. Ex never called anytime except to inform me as to when daughter would be picked up.l

Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,688 times
How old are the kids? 11 and 15
How often does the parent visit? Never

How often do the kids visit the other parent? Summer break 2 weeks or so, Spring break, Thanksgiving break and Christmas break, after the holiday.
Who pays for the traveling? He does
Who is responsible for bringing the kids to the other parents state? He is... if he wants them he has to pick up and bring them home. Last Christmas his GF brought them home, pre-arranged.
If the visiting parent has no family in the other parents' state do they stay in a hotel and rent a car? He has in the past when he could afford it. He stayed in Tulsa since "there is nothing to do here".
Did you notice a decline in visits as time went on? He has never visited as he should. He hasn't called like he should, Every other weekend is non existent for him.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Wow, I am not alone. I thought my ex was the only a** hole out there. Do you ever question the situation and say if I didn't chose to move away maybe the relationship would have been different for my kids?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,688 times
I didn't move. He moved. He left us for his gf and moved to Illinois which is 10 hours away EACH WAY, then broke up with her and moved to Missouri which is 4 hours each way. His relationship with the children is his problem..in a way. In another very big way it is my problem because I get to deal with the fall out. I have made it very clear that he can see the girls anytime he wishes. I have taken them out to the truck stop where he comes by sometimes weekly to see him and have dinner with him. Occasionally he calls. For 6 months he was driving a truck making round trips from Springfield Mo to Wichita Falls, TX weekly. At any time he could have came by to see them WEEKLY. Even an hour or 2 is better than nothing. He stopped by 1 time. I took them to the truck stop so he could have dinner with them. I guess it was better than nothing.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I didn't move. He moved. He left us for his gf and moved to Illinois which is 10 hours away EACH WAY, then broke up with her and moved to Missouri which is 4 hours each way. His relationship with the children is his problem..in a way. In another very big way it is my problem because I get to deal with the fall out. I have made it very clear that he can see the girls anytime he wishes. I have taken them out to the truck stop where he comes by sometimes weekly to see him and have dinner with him. Occasionally he calls. For 6 months he was driving a truck making round trips from Springfield Mo to Wichita Falls, TX weekly. At any time he could have came by to see them WEEKLY. Even an hour or 2 is better than nothing. He stopped by 1 time. I took them to the truck stop so he could have dinner with them. I guess it was better than nothing.
Well it was my choice to move so I guess I feel guilty, but on the other hand I told him I was moving back. He now lives in MD with his gf, he made the trip every weekend to see her (from NJ), so I said you'll at least make it 2 times a month when we return. He said absolutely not. The schedule stays the same. I think mens rationalization is that as long as they pay child support thats good enough. God forbid we interfere with their bachelor life sytle.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,961 times
Just wondering what arrangements other have in this situation.

How old are the kids? 13 and 16 (boys)

How often does the parent visit? I saw them first week of November, I am seeing them the first weekend of March, then in July next.

How often do the kids visit the other parent? Depends on everyones schedule nothing set in stone. I will not make the kids travel for the holidays. If I can't make it there then I'll go shortly before or after to visit. I do not want to cause big interruptions in their lives and stressful travel frequently. I talk to them everyday and pay child support.

Who pays for the traveling? Me the visiting parent. I drive to them 7 hours one way and stay in a hotel nearby their home. They can stay in the hotel with me while I'm there. I'll have them bring their xbox and we'll get pizza, rent movies. Hang out. I'll take them and their friends to a movie or shopping.

Who is responsible for bringing the kids to the other parents state? If my parents come visit us (me and my husband) they will bring my boys with them too.

If the visiting parent has no family in the other parents' state do they stay in a hotel and rent a car? Their dad who they live with doesn't bring them here.

Did you notice a decline in visits as time went on? Has not been going on long enough, not even a year. They are not as into me as when they were younger because they are teenage boys and their friends are very important now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting