Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
On a lighter note, Comedy Channel had on a movie the other night and the premise was 'stupider people' kept having more and more kids while smart ones put off the decision until the smart ones died out and the stupid gene kept getting stronger and stronger...500 years in the future people were basically a combination of hillbillies, gangsta rappers and monster truck addicts. It was a bit far fetched but pretty funny nonetheless..
Have you looked around lately? In my business I go to a lot of homes in a lot of different areas. What you say is true. The poorer the area, and the "dumber" the people, the more children in the house. I know it sounds non-PC and seems to be a crass generalization, but it's what I see every day...

It scares the Hell out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you looked around lately? In my business I go to a lot of homes in a lot of different areas. What you say is true. The poorer the area, and the "dumber" the people, the more children in the house. I know it sounds non-PC and seems to be a crass generalization, but it's what I see every day...

It scares the Hell out of me.

I live in the poorest area for miles. I was 4th in my class (went to a different school district). I'm educated and so is my husband.

I find that the people that live near me are not stupid. Rather they are gullible and somewhat ignorant. There is a difference. Stupid means there's no ability or capability. Ignorant means not or ill informed by those who claim to be more able and capable than they.

So help them. Inform them. Educate them.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
I think the biggest surprise is how few choices there are for childcare in the U.S. If you haven't had kids, you don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
I think the biggest surprise is how few choices there are for childcare in the U.S. If you haven't had kids, you don't know what I'm talking about.
Having worked in child care and also being a mom I agree. Many places you wouldn't put your pet dog in, let alone a kid.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I live in the poorest area for miles. I was 4th in my class (went to a different school district). I'm educated and so is my husband.

I find that the people that live near me are not stupid. Rather they are gullible and somewhat ignorant. There is a difference. Stupid means there's no ability or capability. Ignorant means not or ill informed by those who claim to be more able and capable than they.

So help them. Inform them. Educate them.
I don't think the poster was referring to people who are truly not able to be smart. There were quotes around the "dumb"....to me he (or she) meant those ignorant people who sit on their behinds, choosing not to better themselves because it's easier not to. They seem to procreate at a higher rate than those who consider the whole picture of parenting.....

Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Considering the overpopulation and the number of starving children in certain parts of the world (including the U.S.) I fail to understand the argument you seem to be making. Do you prefer to see millions of starving children rather than a well balanced population that can feed and clothe itself?

Seems a bit harsh...
No I do not prefer to see millions of starving children. My point was merely saying that in reality most everyone cannot "afford" children at any time because children are expensive little boogers despite what anyone's income is. You could be a millionaire and still not be able to "afford" children, especially if you raise the children in the lifestyle you have become accustomed too. The difference between someone making $25,000 a year and someone making $500,000 a year is their lifestyle. Expenses for kids average out to about the same no matter your income, it's just one child may where K-mart and Wal-mart clothes and the other child wears Macy's and Nemun Marcus clothes. One child eats beenie weanies and the other eats steaks.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
no i do not prefer to see millions of starving children. My point was merely saying that in reality most everyone cannot "afford" children at any time because children are expensive little boogers despite what anyone's income is. You could be a millionaire and still not be able to "afford" children, especially if you raise the children in the lifestyle you have become accustomed too. The difference between someone making $25,000 a year and someone making $500,000 a year is their lifestyle. Expenses for kids average out to about the same no matter your income, it's just one child may where k-mart and wal-mart clothes and the other child wears macy's and nemun marcus clothes. One child eats beenie weanies and the other eats steaks.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
There are millions of babies born into this world with a silver spoon who become rapists, killers, drug addicts, social dropouts, the list can continue...
There are millions of babies born into this world in the worst possible situation and become world reknown & reach levels of incredible success.
Got some facts to go along with this statement?
Name me a dozen “world reknown” successes who were raised in the worst possible situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
If everyone waited until they could "afford" to have children, then close to 3/4th of this planet's population would be nonexistant.
And that would be a good thing for the planet and for the thousands of kids who are abused, neglected and live in abject poverty.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I just wanted to know if you cannot afford children why do you have them. Why do you have them if you do not have time or room or energy for them? Maybe this is a stupid question of me since I don't have children I would like ten more dogs but since I don't have the energy room or what not for them I won't be getting ten more dogs...just curious
People are stupid
People think they will make do
People think the government will give them everything
People are selfish. If you want something to love get a dog.
People are scared to be alone

Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihynes View Post
I think this is one of the things people don't investigate or think about before having kids. People need to know all these things in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting