Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you looked around lately? In my business I go to a lot of homes in a lot of different areas. What you say is true. The poorer the area, and the "dumber" the people, the more children in the house. I know it sounds non-PC and seems to be a crass generalization, but it's what I see every day...

It scares the Hell out of me.
kinda' goes against Darwinism, doesn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I think this is one of the things people don't investigate or think about before having kids. People need to know all these things in advance.
that, and the cost of child care!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I just wanted to know if you cannot afford children why do you have them. Why do you have them if you do not have time or room or energy for them? Maybe this is a stupid question of me since I don't have children I would like ten more dogs but since I don't have the energy room or what not for them I won't be getting ten more dogs...just curious
She had the kids because she is sick in her head!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,080 times
Quote:
I just wanted to know if you cannot afford children why do you have them. Why do you have them if you do not have time or room or energy for them? Maybe this is a stupid question of me since I don't have children I would like ten more dogs but since I don't have the energy room or what not for them I won't be getting ten more dogs...just curious

Well, if the only people that had children were the once that could afford it. I am talking really afford it, then this country would stop growing unless all the people making big bucks had about 20 kids each.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that, and the cost of child care!

If any costs at all is a concern for you you can't afford having children. and why childcare. IF you truly can afford having a child you don't have to work. You can afford to stay home and raise your OWN child, right?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
If any costs at all is a concern for you you can't afford having children. and why childcare. IF you truly can afford having a child you don't have to work. You can afford to stay home and raise your OWN child, right?
some people don't choose to stay home with their kids, and it is not always a matter of money. I point out child care specifically because it is the biggest cost outside of college, private school, or some unforeseen medical problem the kid might have.

People should look into the cost of lots of things, but especially child care, if they plan to keep working. I don't think many people could just make a life altering change like having a child and not have ANY financial concern. All I said is that they should be aware of the cost.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,203,744 times
Quote:

Why do you ask, "why do YOU have them, why do YOU this or that? Why not, "why do PEOPLE have them", etc.? It's a good "in" though; another variation on "people who have children are stupid breeders". I'm moving on to the next thread as this one is quite transparent to me.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,865,972 times
Default If you can't afford children why do you have them?

People have children for all kinds of reasons just as they DON'T have them for all kinds of reasons. Regardless this is a pretty personal question to be asking and how you can equate having lots of kids to having 10 dogs is beyond me. It is far cheaper to open up a can of dog food than it is to buy diapers, formula, clothing, pay medical bills and all the rest that goes along with raising a child.

I come from a family of 5 children. Back in "the day" when I was born, there was no such thing as birth control and Mom depended on the calendar or other means of protection. Obviously, I would like to think that all 5 of us were not a big woops but I am sure that is the way it happened as we are all very close in age. My Mom's neighbor had 12 kids and 16 pregnancies...she is Catholic and LOVED babies. Her business and I spent a lot of my growing up time at her house with her kids...always lots of fun and lots of love there.

I only had one child but wanted 6. Nuts? Nope...just love kids and wanted a large family. It wasn't possible for me to have more than one so I worked twice as hard to be sure he was raised properly. I feel he was and is a lucky boy to have had a Mom who could spend that much time with him.

Sometimes children just "happen" and you deal with the pregnancy...sometimes they are planned. I am not a big advocate of "planning" children; makes it too business like....like planning out some kind of big financial maneuver or building a big house....so impersonal. Again, this is so personal choice and probably an opinion that is best left alone.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
Anyone watch "Dr Phil" yesterday? A show on dead beat dad's.There was a former NBA player on the show who used to make 5 million a year.He has 10 kids with 8 women and claims he cannot afford all the child support payments.He had 3 kids in ONE year with 3 women! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? Why has having children become a statis symbol for some people? Our society and what people look up to these days is just so,so sick.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,438 times
My husband and I cannot afford to have a child. One of us cannot simply stop working and we cannot afford childcare on our salaries. Plus if we had a child our health insurance would shoot up which we cannot afford either.

Therefore, our responsible decision has been not to have a child now. If we were to get pregnant we would terminate because it would be the responsible thing for us to do in our current situation.

Many people would say oh we would figure it out once the baby got here but we've already figured it out and we can't afford it. So no need to bring some poor helpless infant into the picture.

Five years from now maybe we will be able to afford it and maybe jobs will be more secure, maybe and then we can think about a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting