Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I used the term "dude" earlier as well, it means nothing. Please, if you want to disagree with something then come up with a logical argument against it, instead of nitpicking word usage.

Oh boy. Another one!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Oh boy. Another one!!!!
Err, I don't get it, are logical arguments frowned upon on City Data? Is this some inside joke I'm not privy to? Oh well, I don't really care!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
At least you were being responsible.
Lots of folks are responsible but still get pregnant. I was in my 30's, married and financially stable but what happened to me could happen to anyone.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think that calling a pregnancy a "surprise" is ever appropriate. Call it an "accident". "Suprise" makes it seem like there's absolutely no personal responsibility there at all
Birth control fails all the time. It fails for married people as well as unmarried people. It fails for women in their thirties as well as younger women. Sometimes it really is a surprise (and not always an unpleasant one).

I don't think people who have a bc failure are being irresponsible in any way. Sometimes things just happen.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Birth control fails all the time. It fails for married people as well as unmarried people. It fails for women in their thirties as well as younger women. Sometimes it really is a surprise (and not always an unpleasant one).

I don't think people who have a bc failure are being irresponsible in any way. Sometimes things just happen.
I KNOW it fails all the time. That was my point. Since "surprise" sounds better...I corrected what I originally said for married couples. For unmarried couples, I said "accident" because that places more responsibility on them. For a married couple, it would frequently be pleasant. For an unmarried couple, it usually isn't.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
People have all sorts of ideas in their heads, not necessarily logical. I have a friend who just says, "God will provide" and then out pops another baby. I'm a religious person but until I see a money tree in my yard, I will not have any more kids.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
So what ARE good reasons in your book to have kids?
Have them when you feel ready and have as many as you can properly care for (not just financially but emotionally). Also, be prepared to put the kids needs first.

I don't mean stop your life but do not drag your kids to bowling alleys, bars, or whatever because you are unable to get a sitter but HAVE to party on Saturday night. Many people think kids are just a cute little tote around and *$#@ their needs.

On the other hand, others cave in and spoil them.

It's not easy to be a parent but a lot of common sense helps.

I am not interested in other people's lives, really. Bottom line--I don't think the children should suffer because parents are morons.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I am not interested in other people's lives, really. Bottom line--I don't think the children should suffer because parents are morons.
My parents weren't morons but they did have issues that would not meet your criteria of "acceptable parents" so I guess I shouldn't be here now.
What about you? Did you have the perfect parents?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
The human race will die without sex. End of story. That's why all living things have a method of procreation, and ours is sex. It's a part of science and it's a part of every religion. I can't see much reason to disagree. True, not everyone has to have heterosexual sex for the human race to survive, but a fair number do.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
The human race will die without sex. End of story. That's why all living things have a method of procreation, and ours is sex. It's a part of science and it's a part of every religion. I can't see much reason to disagree. True, not everyone has to have heterosexual sex for the human race to survive, but a fair number do.
It's certainly not necessary when you can't afford them...which this thread was all about

And it may be a part of every religion (true). But almost every religion is also against sex outside of marriage

There's a huge distinction IMO between a married couple having a "surprise" child without specific financial planning for it as long as they are relatively financially stable and an unmarried couple having an "accident" child because the protection didn't work or because they were careless and didn't use the protection at all

And sex may be necessary for the human race to survive but it's certainly not necessary for an individual to survive. You can't compare it to eating which was what you compared it to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting