Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times

Advertisements

Remember that it isn't really the milk that he is after, it is the comfort the the bottle offers. That is why you need to think through the day and be prepared for the times of the day that he reaches for the bottle for comfort like waking up, going to bed, car... Have other distractions prepared and ready to employ.

One other tip - my kids always responded to well to signs. Yes, I know that a three year old can't read, but for some reason a brightly colored, large lettered sign that we wrote together seemed to carry a lot of weight. Who can argue with a big sign on the refrigerator that announces "No more bottles. This is a Big boy house!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Looking back, my children were younger.

I started taking it away during the day. And didn't start with sippy cups either you have to suck so hard to get anthing out, and a very different sucking type than with the bottle.

One thing my kids liked were tiny cups. I think I used some kind of condiment cup from tupperware w/out the lid. Even small plastic cups can be as big as a kids head. Try something like a small juice cup.

At night, if my kids wanted a drink, I gave them water in a sippy cup. They stopped waking up in the middle of the night after that. I don't know if your child still has the bottle at night.

I like danielle's idea. try to put what he likes in the cup and whatever he doesn't like in the bottle.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModChic View Post
I know your gonna cringe when you hear that my child is 3 and still on the bottle but my mother passed away this year and I feared the loss and taking the bottle would be to much. I know I should have done it a lot sooner and now I'm stuck bc he refuses to give it up. I'm alittle lost on this bc this would be something I would ask advice from my mother for but, I could really use some good ideas on how it worked for you. Anything would help I just need to get rid of it! Thanks!
Toss them out. I think it's easier to get rid of the bottles all at once, with no exceptions, than allowing them only certain times of the day. In the often busy and sometimes quite hectic life of a parent, trying to regulate bottle times will become just one more thing to keep track of. Getting rid of them all at once will be liberating not only for you, but eventually for your kiddo as well. He'll be fine. Kids are so adaptable. Just stick to your guns, mama! "No more bottle." Just say it, matter-of-factly, and it'll soon be done. And like others have said - it's comfort, more than nourishment, that he's after. also, just habit. So be prepared for that. Instead of having a bottle, read a book with him, or play a game, go to the park, keep him busy and happy in other ways. Create a more positive habit for him.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
My child's doctor told me to give my children a drinking cup and take the bottle away at one year old. I don't know that I would recommend that to you though. I wonder if the bottle is some sort of security blanket to your child. I am sorry for your loss. You shouldn't worry what others think, just do what is best for you. I wouldn't get uptight about it.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
When we did this with my kids,I told them in the morning. No More Bottles!! Its a special day and you are going to get to go pick out something new and special at the store! We went to the store, and they got to pick out their very own dinner set (plate, bowl, silverware, and CUP). All three of my kids went with it pretty good. They thought it was pretty cool to get an entire place setting in exchange for their bottles! Especially one they got to pick out themselves.
We also did it very matter of factly, It was time, there was no discussion, no compromise, it was just time to be done with the bottles. Period.
Potty training on the other hand.....lol
but ya, regardless, your child will probably not be going to school w/a bottle packed in their bag.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times
I told mine...no more bottles they are for babies. Now, my oldest, who I was breastfeeding... I told her there was no more milk. She shrugged and wandered off. It was that easy. For the twins I told them that they didn't have bottles for big kids. They saw their sister didn't have a bottle and they wanted to be like her...so *poof* no more bottles. We didn't make it a big deal so it didn't turn into one. And at 3 the child is old enough to understand. Don't make it a big deal and it won't be. However, make sure there are no bottles around for him to see!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
I once knew someone who soaked the nipple in vinegar for a few hours, then re-attached it to the bottle. When her daughter went to take a drink, bam! That bottle went sailing across the room and she never looked at it again. But, I also like the idea of substituting something positive in its place.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
well here is how it worked for my wife...middle daughter used to go to the fridge and fill her bottle with milk.

She hauled that bottle everywhere. Wife told he she couldn't go to kindergarten with the bottle..daughter dropped the bottle and said ok.

Moral of our story..she gave it up when she wanted something else...

She was not traumatized and is a normal (whose opinion of normal) young lady..seriously...
I agree with this. Your child will not go to kindergarten or college with a bottle, whether you "do something" about it or not.

When does he drink it? All day? Just at bedtime? If it's all day, you could make a "no bottles out of bed" rule. If he wants to drink a bottle, he needs to lay in his bed. If it's just at night, and it's just water, then I would probably just ignore it... definitely no milk in bed though! As far as bedtime goes, what's the difference between having a bottle and a sippy cup? I always sent my young kids to bed with a sippy cup of water, because they tended to wake up thirsty in the night. (They're 8 and nearly 6, and very well-adjusted... they get up and get their own drinks now if they're thirsty.)

Do what you think is best. If you think cold turkey will work and you're willing to deal with the tears and tantrums, then go for it! If not, it really is not that big of a deal.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Put water in the bottles and milk (or whatever your child likes) in the sippy cups and make them both available. So he/she will have a choice on what they want to drink. That is what I did with my first child and it worked in one day. She prefered milk or juice over water...So I sat out a bottle of water and a sippy of juice. The rest was history.
This is a very good idea too. Seems gentle and still gives the child the "choice."

Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,275 times
We had the same problem with my brother. Try letting him pick out a cup or sippy cup with his favorite character on it. My brother likes the ones with the cars characters on them.

He drinks out of sippy cups and regular cups depending on the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting