Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 583 times

Advertisements

From Ms Harper I would hire 12 year old for my 1 year old because many of the 12year old have practice from cousins sisters brothers and some times you gotta give people a chance so why some 12year old are way more responsible than you think but theyore will have a chance if you don't let them prove their self my niece watched my 12month old for and hour while I went to work I came back and he had already been feed bathed and soundly alseep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 04:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I started at 10, for a few hours then was doing overnights by 12. I had the Red Cross training/certifications and the YWCA babysitting courses. Age 10 is pretty young I guess but I was always the responsible first born.

I think that a lot of it depends upon the kid and their level of maturity/responsibility.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:17 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
My daughter is 11, will be 12 in March. She just started babysitting our next door neighbors 2 boys (ages 4 & 7) for a few hours, a few times a month. Now, when she watches them it is only when I'm homes next door just in case there's a problem I can run over and she also has her own cell phone. She has also taken a babysitting class and is very responsible, honor roll in school. I also let her watch her 9 yr old sister if I need to run to the store, but it's not more than an hour or 2.

I also think it depends on the maturity level of the child. I wouldn't let her watch anyone overnight, but a few hours while I'm next door, sure.

Btw....we live in the Chicagoland area and it's common for 12 & 13 yr olds to stay home alone or babysit for a few hours while the parent is running errands.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
12? Not at night or for more than a couple hours with me just running errands in town. And not for a child under the age of 3 or 4. I would not trust a pre-teen (or even a teen under 15/16) to keep a baby/toddler from choking or getting hurt. On the rare occasions that we needed a babysitter, we used an older teen (16+). Most of the time, though, we traded childcare with a friend.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Depends on both the 12 year old and the children to be supervised.

I think an hour or two during the daytime with "easy"/compliant neighbor kids who are out of diapers, is a great way to start babysitting. Particularly if the 12 year old's parent is nearby and available.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
My 12yo Nephew "Watches" his 6yo little brother for a few hours at a time. Afternoon and early evenings. But generally does not when the 6yo to go to bed.

Most of the family is within a few miles, so if someone need to go over we can be there in a few minutes.

He has taken (Basic FirstAid/CPR) in school,

But this him watching his brother is new, only in the last 3 months or so, Seems to be going OK, Previous to this trial they could not be left alone together, Alot of sibling rivalry going on, but the 12yo is maturing somewhat now.

Last edited by flyonpa; 12-19-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 07:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
If you are going to be in CONSTANT communication with your kid, why pay a babysitter?

Also, why does a 9-year old need a cell phone?
My 9yo had a (in house,mostly) cell phone, We had No Landline, so that was THE phone. When he got to Middle School I allowed him to take it to school.

Last edited by flyonpa; 12-19-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Our girls started at 12 with their younger siblings and sometimes helping an adult in the Church nursery. At 14 they were full babysitting but only together, never alone. At 16 they were doing it individually, but only for people in our local community whom we knew. The main problem they encountered is they were so much in demand, they felt bad about letting someone down when they could not or did not want to sit in.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In one post I read someone said their nieces started babysitting at 12 years old. That seems really young to me.

Would you hire a 12 year old babysitter?

Would you allow your 12 year old to babysit?

I have to answer no to both questions. My sons are 15, 12, 9 and there is no way I would let them babysit at 12, nor would I hire a 12 year old to watch my little one.

I just started letting my 12 year old stay home by himself for longer periods of time. I don't leave my 9 year old for more than half an hour if I can help it.

My oldest is old enough to babysit for other kids but he has a hard time getting babysitting jobs because people don't want to hire boys.
It really depends on the circumstances. I babysat for a 5-year-old whose family we knew from church when I was 12, but her parents' little health food shop was literally next door to their house, so I was not really so much on my own with her as keeping her entertained for a few hours each Saturday morning. I knew help was right next door if I needed it.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
If you're CONSTANTLY calling them, you're basically there.

Why couldn't your daughter communicate with friends through a house phone?
Because communicating over the phone is much different than being there in the case of an emergency! And who has house phones these days? I’m assuming you’re not a parent, it’s obvious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting