Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Lindsey,
I understand what you're saying and why and I'm really sorry you had to go thru what you did but...nobody here has called the child a liar.
God knows all teachers aren't perfect and some children do lie about things like this.

Many parents rush to believe their child...and many blindly believe the teachers.

I think if you read every thread, you'll see we are saying to get both sides before taking any drastic action.
Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Lindsey,
I understand what you're saying and why and I'm really sorry you had to go thru what you did but...nobody here has called the child a liar.
God knows all teachers aren't perfect and some children do lie about things like this.

Many parents rush to believe their child...and many blindly believe the teachers.

I think if you read every thread, you'll see we are saying to get both sides before taking any drastic action.
Actually if you read back over the entire thread you will see that some do automatically assume that because this came from a child it must be a lie. Thats a colosal mistake to make. I am not saying children do not lie, of course at times they do but all too often the assumption is made that the adult is right and the child is wrong.

My daughter was looking at something and told me how it looked like her fingerprints. I asked her how on earth she had a clue what her fingerprints looked like. She then told me that her teacher had fingerprinted the entire class when no one would admit to having broken a pencil sharpener. Sounds outrageous and unbelievable right??

I called the school only to find out in fact this was TRUE. I also spoke with the police to confirm my suspicion that its illegal to fingerprint a minor without cause. It would have been different had it been one of those things to make the identity cards for your child. This woman had lost so much control of the class, she used this as an intimidation tactic. It was a memorable day for the teacher AND the principle because I was LIVID. I told them straight out if the teacher had to resort to breaking the law in this way maybe she wasn't cut out to be a teacher.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My daughter was looking at something and told me how it looked like her fingerprints. I asked her how on earth she had a clue what her fingerprints looked like. She then told me that her teacher had fingerprinted the entire class when no one would admit to having broken a pencil sharpener. Sounds outrageous and unbelievable right??

I called the school only to find out in fact this was TRUE. I also spoke with the police to confirm my suspicion that its illegal to fingerprint a minor without cause. It would have been different had it been one of those things to make the identity cards for your child. This woman had lost so much control of the class, she used this as an intimidation tactic. It was a memorable day for the teacher AND the principle because I was LIVID. I told them straight out if the teacher had to resort to breaking the law in this way maybe she wasn't cut out to be a teacher.
All I can say is, WOW. What in the #$*l was that teaching thinking? What ever happened as a result of that incident, do you know?

Were you able to get the fingerprints, that the teacher had illegally taken, back from the school? I would have been so upset!!!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
All I can say is, WOW. What in the #$*l was that teaching thinking? What ever happened as a result of that incident, do you know?

Were you able to get the fingerprints, that the teacher had illegally taken, back from the school? I would have been so upset!!!
The fingerprint cards were thrown away.
Thats all that happened other then the teacher was forced to call me personally and apologize.

I also told the principle that I didn't care what the school boards rules were regarding children having a cell phone. I felt they have demonstrated that I could not fully trust them with my daughter and she had been told by me to call me if she needed me.

On a couple of occasions my daughter had complained of being sick, the teacher replied back she couldn't do anything to help her. Only for me to find she had a 104 temp when she got home, her face was bright red. I asked the principle what person nevermind a teacher should EVER utter the words "I can't help you" to a child??" NO attempt was made by the teacher to put her hand against her forehead or send her to the nurse. She simply ignored her. This happened with two different teachers, different from the one who fingerprinted her as well. As it turned out she had strep with a high fever. Its not like she was making it up to get out of school. BUT of course thats what was assumed.

I told the principle if he had a problem with my daughter having a cell phone when she needed help he would have to deal with me getting up in front of the school board to explain fully the reasons she had one. He didn't want that I'm sure.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:24 AM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:

I knew a kid that told his parents that every time they punished him, he was calling child services and report it as abuse.

If any kid of mine told me he was going to call child services to report me for punishing him, I'd tell him to call the hospital and tell them to get the people in intensive care ready, because that's where he'd be heading after making a false claim against me.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Incidentally I had a teacher once, in sixth grade, who knocked me down on the ground. He made me stand in the hallway since he didn't like me and I didn't like him, and there was always some reason or another that he found to justify booting me from his class. I was standing with my back against the opened door (the door was behind me, behind the door was the wall), note the door opened out into the hallway.

He came out into the hallway (nobody else was in the hallway or could see the area we were at from the classroom since the doorway wasn't arranged that way) and he slammed his hands into my shoulder, knocking me down on the floor, at which time he took hold of the door and closed it as he walked back into the classroom.

He categorically denied shoving me, insisting he only "gently nudged me" to get me away from the door so he could close it. He used sufficient force to knock me off my feet and send me down onto my butt, which is exactly what happened.

My father believed me when I told him about the incident since he had met with the teacher and had the impression the man was a lunatic.

One time a kid fell asleep in his class so he vaulted himself up onto the kid's desk in one quick motion and shouted at him for daring to fall asleep in his class. That was how he conducted himself... He was known throughout the school for jumping on desks, throwing books on students desks (if they fell asleep and he didn't want to jump on their desk he would throw/drop a book against their desk), etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
If any kid of mine told me he was going to call child services to report me for punishing him, I'd tell him to call the hospital and tell them to get the people in intensive care ready, because that's where he'd be heading after making a false claim against me.
You are either very disturbed or a troll

Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
You are either very disturbed or a troll

If a kid threatens to call the police and falsely accuse you of abuse because you punished him, he deserves a beating.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
If a kid threatens to call the police and falsely accuse you of abuse because you punished him, he deserves a beating.
A spanking YES! But NOT ending up in intensive care.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A spanking YES! But NOT ending up in intensive care.

Okay, so it was an exaggeration, but it wouldn't make sense to tell a kid, "when you call the police to lie, you'd better tell them to bring an ambulance because I'm going to spank you into the hospital" that doesn't sound intimidating at all.

I've actually heard it told that spanking could permanently hurt a child's intestinal tract. Probably better to smack them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting