Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times

Advertisements

I am planning my first kids b-day party. I have picked the location and the theme. Now the party favors. I thought I ask other for your opinion. So here are some questions.

What is the most annoying party favor your kid has ever gotten?
Which ones are just junk?
Should I make different bags for boys and girls?
Is candy on the bag ok?
Which toys have your kids played with the most?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM

41 posts, read 238,858 times
My 6 year old went to a birthday party last weekend. They did movie themed gift bags, and I thought it was such a cute idea, plus it was all stuff we would use. Inside the bag was a $5 giftcard to Blockbuster to get a movie, a bag of popcorn, and some candy in the bottom of the bag.

You also could try to order party favors off of Oriental Trading Companys website. They have a lot of party favor sets that are good.

To answer your questions:

I don't see anything wrong with putting candy in the party favor bags. However, I'd stay away from anything with peanuts in it (Snickers, etc) since so many kids are allergic.
The most annoying party favors, in my opinion, are the kazoos and those sort of things that make noise, basically.
I don't think it's really necessary to make different bags for girls and boys. I'd try to do generic things in the party favors, instead of gender specific bags.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I havn't thrown kid parties yet and most likely wont only family parties, as i feel friend parties are a waste of money. BUT I dont think goody bags should be necessary at all. Children should grow up knowing when we go to a birthday party its a party to celebrate the birthday kid only, they shouldn't need anything out of it aside from having a good time and enojying celebrating a friends bday.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM

70 posts, read 278,281 times
For girls, say age 5-8--hair accessories are a nice party favor. I've done that. Other cute costume jewelry.

For boys, one of the cutest things we rec'd was a little plastic insect container. It had air holes and a built in magnifier to really look at the bug. This would be good for boys aged 4-9 probably.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
My only advice is not to spend too much money... I don't think we've ever received a typical party favor that didn't end up in the trash within a day or two.

What is the theme of the party? Maybe instead of the typical doodads you could buy a small stuffed animal or a plate/cup set or something useful for each child? Or for a spring party, maybe some sidewalk chalk, bubbles, or a jump rope.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Party is for a 4yo girl. We are inviting the kids from her pre-school since we don't know that many people here yet. Theme is Diego/Dora combination. That is why I thought about doing separate Diego and Dora bags.

How much should I spend per bag? $5 gift cards were more that I was planning for.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
One coloring book from Dollar Tree (yes- they have Dora and Diego!), and an 8 pack of Crayola crayons each. No junky bits of plastic or sugar to worry about!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
When we did my daughters party at the gymnastics center, I handed out free trial class and free open gym passes to all the kids. They all used em. Most gyms will happily do that since its great advertisement.
Then, when we did a pizza party, instead of gift bags, I bought a bunch of those foam door hangers and book marks, and 2 boxes of the matching foam stickers. While we were waiting for pizza, they all decorated them as they wanted, and thats what they took home as party favors. They were all quite happy.
Dont stress it too much, kids just want to go have a good time with their little friends...oh, and eat cake.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
What is the most annoying party favor your kid has ever gotten? Not my kid actually thank God, but my cousin's daughter got a Beta fish. Cute, but really no one should be forcing a pet on someone else!!!!
Which ones are just junk?Almost all of them!!
Should I make different bags for boys and girls?Depending on what you are putting in them.
Is candy on the bag ok?Sure why not as long as it's not an entire bag of crap.
Which toys have your kids played with the most?One friend gave my son a little LEGO car kit. Probably costs $4-6. PERFECT! Just one thing, my son was thrilled (actually come to think of it there were several other things in the bag but the LEGO thing would have been just fine by itself)

I have done party favors for both about 5 birthday parties between both my kids.

After doing so, I discovered it is far simpler, cheaper and easier to just choose one or two (if you need girl & boy) $5 item, wrap it up like a present (the kids will be thrilled to get something that looks like a present), maybe a boy gift and girl gift, than to try to deal with gift bags.

My kids have gotten bags full of candy. What the don't manage to inhale before I get the bag away usually ends up in the garbage.

They've also gotten bags of crap from the dollar store (and to be honest I am guilty of giving out such bags out at one of my OWN kids parties). While I appreciate the gesture, it is just more little junk that I don't want to be picking up off my LR floor in the coming days. So, after they forget about that, It too goes in the garbage.

Last party I had was at Build a Bear for my DD and while it was a little pricey, there was no need for any sort of gift since the bear WAS the gift.

My DS birthday is coming up, and his party favor will be a bakugan for each kid (there was a bakugan craze before Christmas, so I grabbed a few wherever I saw them, then before the holidays I discovered I had WAAAAY too many, so I saved some for party favors). So all the kids will get one bakugan (maybe I'll pick up something else for the girls, a barbie or something), and that will be that. No fluff, no puff, one thing and that's it.

It's exhausting. That's why I am saying, do yourself a favor and get one thing.

Just saw the Dora/Diego thing.

I don't know if these are everywhere but I just bought my DD a little Dora figurine, w/a lego table and swing to put together for $3, maybe at walmart or something.

If you want to stay under $5, I'd just go to Walmart and see what kind of D & D stuff they have in that price range. I like the Crayon and Coloring book idea. Or even better, a story book, those I think are only $3 and kids can't have too many books. My DD just got the Dora as the ice princess (or something like that) book and she loves it.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I havn't thrown kid parties yet and most likely wont only family parties, as i feel friend parties are a waste of money. BUT I dont think goody bags should be necessary at all. Children should grow up knowing when we go to a birthday party its a party to celebrate the birthday kid only, they shouldn't need anything out of it aside from having a good time and enojying celebrating a friends bday.
Celebrating a child's birthday with friends is a waste of money? WOW!!!!

I think learning to enjoy celebrations with friends is an essential part of life.

Party favors are customary. They don't need to cost much.

To the OP-Candy in the bags is fine. Just remember if the kids are little a few pieces are enough. Most parents won't let their kids eat a ton of candy. I always like to give things like fun pencils and erasers in the bags.

Edited to add-Decks of cards are fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting