Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,028 times

Advertisements

My sister is wanting to move out of my parents house when she is 18 and they are threatening to not give her any of her things or let her keep anything given to her if she leaves. When she turns 18, isn't anything given to her legally hers? Is there some kind of document that states that so she could prove it to them?

She is living in a very emotionally abusive environment and they have physically abused her a few times. I am very scared for her and I moved out when I was 18 because of the same reasons, but they did not threaten to not let me keep my things. She is such a nice person and does well in school. She just needs to get out of this toxic environment.

How would she go about getting emancipated? Is there any way they could stop her?

Please help. It would mean so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytree View Post
My sister is wanting to move out of my parents house when she is 18 and they are threatening to not give her any of her things or let her keep anything given to her if she leaves. When she turns 18, isn't anything given to her legally hers? Is there some kind of document that states that so she could prove it to them?

She is living in a very emotionally abusive environment and they have physically abused her a few times. I am very scared for her and I moved out when I was 18 because of the same reasons, but they did not threaten to not let me keep my things. She is such a nice person and does well in school. She just needs to get out of this toxic environment.

How would she go about getting emancipated? Is there any way they could stop her?

Please help. It would mean so much.
I have no idea but I will pray for her (and yourself). Do you know any attorneys you trust and can ask? I wish I had information for you. Please find SOMEONE to talk to and ask.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Technically a minor cannot own property. Since she acquired this property while under the age of 18, she does not own it. She does not suddenly own it on her 18th birthday. If one of these "things" happens to be a car that is titled in your parents' name, she should absolutely not take it because they could have her charged with a felony for auto theft.

There's no way she can get emancipated after she turns 18. If she still has enough time before turning 18, she could try and start the process now but it is very difficult. Does she have a job? She'd have to prove she could completely support herself financially.

If you can prove any physical abuse, that can always be reported to the police or CPS.

How long until she turns 18? And also how long until she graduates high school?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
What things are we talking about? Clothes and stuff like that. Can she just take a little every day and leave at your place?
Is she telling them she is getting out as soon as she can all the time? Maybe if she doesn't say anything anymore they will forget about their threats. On d-day she can just pack up and leave while they are at work or something.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,028 times
Well my parents are trying to trap her there kind of. She is 17 and doesn't have her drivers license. I can't even tell you what I had to go through while I lived there. I was always so scared and there was no one who could help me. I called CPS many times. So did my relatives and the school. CPS does nothing and I felt so hopeless and scared. I have a lot of emotional problems now and have panic attacks, so I go to counseling. It just hurts me so bad to see my sister going through the same things and I can't help her. I can't even call her, because they don't let her talk on the phone or use the internet. When I was living there, they would take all the phones and the router for the internet with them, so we could not contact anyone. It was just so scary growing up and I feel like my childhood was robbed from me. I just wish I could help her like I always wanted help while living there.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytree View Post
Well my parents are trying to trap her there kind of. She is 17 and doesn't have her drivers license. I can't even tell you what I had to go through while I lived there. I was always so scared and there was no one who could help me. I called CPS many times. So did my relatives and the school. CPS does nothing and I felt so hopeless and scared. I have a lot of emotional problems now and have panic attacks, so I go to counseling. It just hurts me so bad to see my sister going through the same things and I can't help her. I can't even call her, because they don't let her talk on the phone or use the internet. When I was living there, they would take all the phones and the router for the internet with them, so we could not contact anyone. It was just so scary growing up and I feel like my childhood was robbed from me. I just wish I could help her like I always wanted help while living there.
Can you see her at all? Go find her at school or something and get her a prepay cellphone so you can communicate. Then you can try to get her to some abused women's shelter or something. There has to be some organization that can help her if CPS won't.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
well when she turns 18 tell her to just get out even if it means packing a back pack in the middle of the night and climbing out the window and then tell her to call you and let her stay with you untill she can get a job and get on her feet and start her own life . I know cps does nothing they come in and look around and leave that is all they do . I wish you luck and tell her no to the car leave it there and she will be better off for it . It is best not to have contact with them at all after she leaves such as you did . I am sorry that you now have to be in therapy because of them . It truly is a shame how adults shape and form children and in such a warped way as your parents did you and now trying to do the same with your sister . God I wish you both the best and wish you luck .

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 AM

If her parents are telling her she can't take the stuff, don't pack a backpack. Climbing out the window is good advice but just be there to pick her up and provide her with all her necessities after she leaves. Technically, packing up the stuff if she acquired it while a minor could be theft.

Also.....you never answered my questions. Does she have a job? When does she turn 18? And when does she graduate high school?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-08-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default Sister Wanting to Move Out

If your sister is being abused then she needs to let other adults know and by adults, I mean someone over 21 like a teacher, guidance counselor someone who can point her in the right direction. If she is going to be 18 then I don't know as if she needs to worry about being emancipated from your parents but I would check with someone who knows. Tell her to start with her guidance counselor.

You mentioned you moved out when you were 18? Can she come stay with you until she can legally get things straightened out meaning find out how she goes about getting her stuff out of your parent's house? Has anyone ever reported your parents for abuse?

Please make sure you do everything you can to get your sister out of her bad environment. I was abused as a child and ended up marrying the first guy who asked me just to get out...it was a disaster.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If her parents are telling her she can't take the stuff, don't pack a backpack. Climbing out the window is good advice but just be there to pick her up and provide her with all her necessities after she leaves. Technically, packing up the stuff if she acquired it while a minor could be theft.

Also.....you never answered my questions. Does she have a job? When does she turn 18? And when does she graduate high school?
I should add that climbing out the window is only good advice if it absolutely necessary. I just meant to get out however possible. Regardless, she will not be able to take her things unless your parents give permission.

ConnecticutPam's suggestion to go to a counselor is a good one. Tell her to go to her counselor at school and talk to him/her about the situation.

I'll check back later and, if you've answered those questions, I can give some more advice.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-08-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting