Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstree34 View Post
wooooww...i totally agree with your co-worker if they allow their kid to come out of the mouth like that just imagine what more he gets away with...wow lets hope hes not smoking or drinking already huh?
Right! Because we all know that the F word is a GATEWAY WORD that leads to smoking and drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 PM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
it's learned at home. If Daddy can say it then of course jr. is going to say it. This kid is just more honest than most and does it in front of his parents. What is funny is the parents who use that language will look shocked and wonder why their child is talking that way.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
that in itself shows you the decline of respect and culture, b/c if one has to use foul descriptive words, they desprately lack the ability to express themselves intellectually.
Not really. Sometimes "those" words are intrinsically suited to the situation. There are many of us with quite extensive vocabularies that use what you term "foul descriptive words" from time to time, simply because those particular words are the most effective ones. Not knowing any other words to substitute for cuss words, or when to appropriately use them is when someone is lacking.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I think some posters have brought up a good point--as a stranger you simply do not know what goes on in a different family. Sometimes it feels like the collective "we" like to jump on parents "these days" for being so horrible. Now, there are parents out there that just suck. Plain and simple. But are there really that many more than 10 years ago? 20? 30? 50?

When you hear a child swear in the store, you only know what you can see in the immediate--you don't know what came before or what will follow. A child throws a tantrum in the store and to you it seems like the mother just gives in or allows it or whatever. You don't know if that child has a physical or mental disorder...or heck, that the mother is just having a bad day. Does it change your attitude (about the tantrum) if you knew the mother was up all night with a sick baby? Just lost her parent? Her husband is in Iraq, again. Her husband is on the road, again. Her husband just left her. She just lost her job. The list is endless.

While we need to be the best parents we can, we also need to be the nicest neighbors and friends we can. Can you imagine how much better our country may be if we were actually nice to each other instead of b*tching about each other. And yes, I specifically chose that word, not because I didn't know others that would fit, but because it fit the best in this situation.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
I never swore as a child and still rarely do. However I don't think it is the end of the world. My little brother is 4 and used to swear, because he loves a reaction. So we just ignored him and simply siad that's not a nice word and we don't say that. Now he tells on himself if he says one, which is almost never. Children pick up bad words in other places than home.

I also do not think that using a bad word mean that you are uneducated or do not know how to express yourself. How many people say shucks or darn. Which used to be the = to S*** and D***. The C word used to be a common word that even Shakespere used.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I was in a Store last week...and there was a family, parents and their toddler in the shopping cart seat. I was rounding the corner, when I heard the child ask his dad for something...the father said no, and guess what the child's response was....

"F You Dad, and he didn't say the letter "F"

I was shocked!!! Stopped dead in my tracks and turned to look at the parents response, and it was as if, the child just responded with an everyday word. (which in THAT family, I'm sure it is)?

I cannot believe how permissive and uncouth people are...and I'm now inclined to go along with my co-worker who says in jest and disgust, "You should have to take a test to be a parent".

Unbelievable and unacceptable.
I don't think it is that odd. Sad to say. It is the underclass. England has this problem big time. Not a race thing, just a class thing. Poor kid.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I think some posters have brought up a good point--as a stranger you simply do not know what goes on in a different family. Sometimes it feels like the collective "we" like to jump on parents "these days" for being so horrible. Now, there are parents out there that just suck. Plain and simple. But are there really that many more than 10 years ago? 20? 30? 50?

When you hear a child swear in the store, you only know what you can see in the immediate--you don't know what came before or what will follow. A child throws a tantrum in the store and to you it seems like the mother just gives in or allows it or whatever. You don't know if that child has a physical or mental disorder...or heck, that the mother is just having a bad day. Does it change your attitude (about the tantrum) if you knew the mother was up all night with a sick baby? Just lost her parent? Her husband is in Iraq, again. Her husband is on the road, again. Her husband just left her. She just lost her job. The list is endless.

While we need to be the best parents we can, we also need to be the nicest neighbors and friends we can. Can you imagine how much better our country may be if we were actually nice to each other instead of b*tching about each other. And yes, I specifically chose that word, not because I didn't know others that would fit, but because it fit the best in this situation.
Give me a break. They should have smacked that mouth. That you make such lame excuses shows how California, Mass, Detroit (perfect example) etc. is going down the toilet.

They are little kids! They need to be civilized.

Nice. Check out how nice the USA and England are doing in the NICE innner cities.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
YOu do not need to slap a childs mouth to teach them not to say bad words. I never swore and my mother never hit me. We did not need to slap my brother to teach him not to say bad words either. Telling him that we do not say those words worked fine. While I am not against spanking completely I am against the idea of slapping a child.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I think what Stormy was referring to was THE PARENT of the child who is having a tantrum is supposed to ignore the behavior according to "experts" and the child will supposedly stop doing it.

I hope your son learns to handle overload, it is difficult for some children even those without a disability to deal with to much going on.
You're right, could be...thanks for pointing it out!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I think that it is just as unacceptable coming from an adult toward a child too. And you wonder where they learn to use foul language?
Of course it is..! Where do you think the kids learn to talk like that..!
My parents passed at 90, I was 60, and I never heard them swear in all that time, and they never heard me swear, even when I was ooold.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting