Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - Soon after New Yorker Geralyn Lucas was laid off from her television job in January, she took her 2-year-old son to the playroom of her apartment building. She realized she had never been there before.

Within minutes she had inadvertently broken all the cleanliness rules. "I wore shoes," confesses Lucas, 41. "I brought food. I changed his diaper. I didn't know those things weren't allowed."

Some laid-off women now stay-at-home moms - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM

517 posts, read 1,963,954 times
Maybe the current generation of kids will benefit from the new wave of stay-at-home moms. It may be a tough transition for some, but a lot of non-monetary good could potentially come of this economic disaster.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times
Yes, i believe this is a GOOD thing!! The kids will benefit from having their mommies home with them.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK - Soon after New Yorker Geralyn Lucas was laid off from her television job in January, she took her 2-year-old son to the playroom of her apartment building. She realized she had never been there before.

Within minutes she had inadvertently broken all the cleanliness rules. "I wore shoes," confesses Lucas, 41. "I brought food. I changed his diaper. I didn't know those things weren't allowed."
This is shocking to me. Did this mom never do anything with her kid just because she had a job? I am sure this is not the case with all working moms.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Yes, i believe this is a GOOD thing!! The kids will benefit from having their mommies home with them.
It depends on the mom. I am glad mine wasn't a SAHM. I am one though.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times
yeah i agree. It sounds strange to me too. The part about the pediatrician only ever seeing the nanny and not even recognizing the parents is disturbing as well.
What parent cant take time off when their child is sick or getting shots?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
This is shocking to me. Did this mom never do anything with her kid just because she had a job? I am sure this is not the case with all working moms.
probably played with them in her own home, took them on outings on the weekends. I was a working mom for a few years, and stay home now. There was a lot I never did when I worked. After working 9 hours, commuting, making dinner, cleaning up, running errands on the weekends, there just isn't much time left over. We spent a lot of time playing at home, but didn't get out a ton. I'm not saying it is a good thing. I'm just saying I wasn't "shocked."

Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
yeah i agree. It sounds strange to me too. The part about the pediatrician only ever seeing the nanny and not even recognizing the parents is disturbing as well.
What parent cant take time off when their child is sick or getting shots?
Unfortunately today, alot.. I have many friends who are working mom's and complain about this very issue. The flexibility in most companies is not there any longer and especially in today's economy, there are companies obviously having to lay off employees and the ones left, are picking up the extra work loads,therefore, working more hours and not being able to take time off.
I hear it time and time again from my friends,some take their sick kids to work with them when they are in a real bind and obviously, on one wants that.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
probably played with them in her own home, took them on outings on the weekends. I was a working mom for a few years, and stay home now. There was a lot I never did when I worked. After working 9 hours, commuting, making dinner, cleaning up, running errands on the weekends, there just isn't much time left over. We spent a lot of time playing at home, but didn't get out a ton. I'm not saying it is a good thing. I'm just saying I wasn't "shocked."
I agree...I worked for the first 4 1/2 years after having kids and I am luckily a SAHM now. When I worked, I was up at 5:40 am to get myself and both kids ready to leave the house at 7am. I then dropped one at daycare and one at preschool and got to work at 815a. I left work at 445p, picked both up and got home at 545p. Made dinner, played, bed for them at 730p. Not much time to go anywhere. On weekends we played at the park or in our yard. I did take time off for dr visits, sick days, etc, but let me tell you how well that went over. My boss was married and in her 40's but no kids so just didn't get the fact that I needed time off. If DH was off work he could do it, but if he was at work he could not take off, so it was up to me. I really thought I was close to getting fired many times. Talk about my stress level increasing!

Now, DS is in K. DD is home with me this year, and preschool next year. We did so many things this year and had a great time! Trips all over town, playing outside, going to the park. Tons of stuff we never had time to do before. This summer will be great b/c we plan to take overnight trips...the zoo, Hershey Park, anywhere that looks good and fairly inexpensive.

I am so glad to be able to stay home now. My kids are better off for it. I'll admit that some days I'd love to run and hide, but my stress from my job is gone and now I can concentrate on my kids. Hopefully my husband won't have any cuts in his job and things can stay this way.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,142 times
I guess if you can afford it, or if one parent works and the other stays home...until a certain age. I wouldn't want to be 13, 14 and still have a stay at home mom. That's pretty silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting