Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,280,684 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the kid. My oldest had "blue" from day one. It was a gift from a lovely elderly lady from church. When Son was little, I nuggle him in it because the fabric was flexable and wouldn't cover his face accidently. "blue" went where Son went for the first few months of Son's life. When Son got more mobile, I started leaving "blue" at home. Since I was a SAHM (who breastfed btw), Son didn't have to leave "blue" for long. I really didn't want Son to become reliant on dragging a blanket around on the nasty floor of the grocery store, then balling it up in his face... ugggg. "blue" made son a ghost, with a hair clip became a cape, was used to soothe owies, sickies, and shared Son's secrets. Son would not wig out when "blue" got a bath or if he was away for a night as long as he knew ahead of time. Son is now 15.... "blue" is still in his bed. I have tried to retire "blue" as he is threadbare and grey now... but whenever I put him away, Son will find him and bring him back out.

The little ones (who I didn't meet until they were 4 and 5) have not shown any serious attatchment to any item. DSD totes her webkinz around but doesn't "need" them. DSS likes to keep routine... that is what gives him security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
My oldest did not. He had me and, despite my tries to get him to have a stuffed bear or something, he wanted me only. His younger siblings all do have something. The 7yo does not care about her object anymore, but now has to have her stuffed animals. The 6yo still hangs on to his bears. The baby does not have to have a security object but does love sleeping with a particular stuffed piglet (but can sleep without it). He seems to glom on to anything really soft (you know that new silky microfleece? - that's his addiction).

Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times
My 3-year old son has his "fuzzy cubby" (blue baby blanket) as well as his (wait for it...) stuffed lobster he named "Pinchy." We brought the lobster back from Cape Cod and had no idea that he would become so attached. He must have both every night! He does not insist on taking them anywhere and rarely even brings them downstairs, but he loves them!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
My oldest (14) had a blanket that he loved until he was about 5. He still sleeps w/ my mom's robe that she used to rock him in when he was little - I don't think he's attached to the robe, just the memories of my mom that it brings him.

My middle (9) loves stuffed animals, but no particular attachment to any.

My youngest (6 next week) has a stuffed cat, a blanket (that she seems to be giving up) and her pointer finger that she sucks on.

Heck, I still have mine from when I was little.

I don't plan on making them give them up - they aren't hurting anyone by keeping them and if they want them, then what's the harm?

Last edited by NicoleJ; 03-14-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
My oldest, who was born extremely premature and as a result, never breastfed, has never had a security item. No blankey, no animal, no doll...nothing.
My son, from toddler had a soft blue blanket that thankfully was totally made in mass amounts as it was replaced about 6times! Now, the last one is in a sealed bag at grandmas house (he is 10 and recently gave it up, but still loves it dearly)
My youngest (who btw was breastfed longest and is also my most clingy kid) has a plush piggy that she has had since she was about 1. Unfortunatly, this was a one time promotional piggy and I have never found another. Funny enough, just before coming to the forum today, i was on my weekly ebay check for it! lol. Anyhow, she is 7 and still will NOT sleep w/o "mamma piggy" she doesnt take it to school or outside to play, but anything overnight, or if shes ill, or upset, PIggy is right there. (piggy no longer looks like a fat pink piggy, its now a grayish flat possum looking creature. lol)
Something I just thought of, oddly enough, my oldest, who never had the security item, is the only one out of all three kids who DID have an imaginary friend. This was on/off from about 4-6yrs old. Wonder if theres a connection......

Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,280,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
My youngest ( This was on/off from about 4-6yrs old. Wonder if theres a connection......
Maybe.... Son still talks as if "blue" is an actual person. That boy and blanket have had many adventures together. For awhile Son did carry convos with "blue".

Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 AM

339 posts, read 1,168,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
My 2 girls, who were not breastfed for an extremely long period of time, both have "loveys" that they still (at 10 and almost 8) have to sleep with every night. One has a tiger that she has had since she was 11 months, and the other has a bear that she stole from a friend at 11 months.

My boys, who are/were breastfed for a long time, don't had a comfort item at all. I had read that breastfed children don't need the comfort item because they are having all of their needs met by mom. In my case that happens to be true.
I'm not totally sure if there is a link...at least from my experience. I think it probably depends more on the child. I say that because my 21 month old son is still breast-fed and he has had a 'bunny' blanket since he was about 12 months. It comes everywhere with us and he always sleeps with it at night. In fact, he often hangs onto it while he's nursing!! Sometimes his bunny 'nurses' too!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
I THINK; that the companies all around the world who make blankies are prejudice. I mean, it seems like the MOST soft blankies, are blue! Why cant every blankie be soft eh? STOP PICKING FAVORITES! Pink, yellow, green, orange, tan, black, white, all those colored blankies deserve to be soft too!
Ugh. This is almost as bad as IHOP serving every breakfast food except waffles.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
I have 3 kids. They are 16, 13, 11.

The oldest had a stuffed animal that was his security item. He still has it, but at age 16 he just leaves it on his bed with his other stuffed animals (he still likes them). He does not take it with him when he sleeps away from home. He used to take it everywhere with him when he was small but he gradually gave up needing it.

The middle never had a security item.

My oldest had a blanket. He still sleeps with it but does not take it everywhere with him either.

I don't think it matters whether your child has a security item or not. All my kids are very well adjusted. They have friends, hobbies, and get good grades.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,651 times
My brother-in-law took part of his "blankie" with him when he was stationed in Iraq. Not sure if that was common knowledge at the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting