Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:47 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Never give aspirin to a child under 18 (some say under 21) w/o a physician's guidance. I worked in a pediatrician's office for 11 years 2004-2015, and I never once saw aspirin recommended. The kid in question needs to see a physician. There is no point to fiddling with diet, meds, etc on your own with no medical advice.
Oh good lord. I was about 12 when my parents decided I was intelligent enough to decide whether I needed to take an aspiring or not.

Yes, there is a tiny tiny fraction of children who react adversely to aspirin. But the idea that people have to be eligible for the presidency before they can take an aspirin is just nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
As far as headaches.

I had horrible headaches as a child and teenager. I would have to go home and lie in a darkened room. (Although, thank goodness, I never had nausea.)

When I left home and no longer had to deal with the psychological stresses of living with my parents (who, bless their hearts, tried hard, but we were just totally incompatible by nature), my headaches ceased, and I have never since had a problem with headaches.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh good lord. I was about 12 when my parents decided I was intelligent enough to decide whether I needed to take an aspiring or not.

Yes, there is a tiny tiny fraction of children who react adversely to aspirin. But the idea that people have to be eligible for the presidency before they can take an aspirin is just nuts.
The recommendations have changed since you were a kid. Here's what the American Academy of Pediatrics says:
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...our-Child.aspx
"Never give aspirin to your child unless your child's doctor tells you it's safe. Aspirin can cause a very serious liver disease called Reye syndrome. This is especially true when given to children with the flu or chickenpox."

More:
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...dications.aspxhttps://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...our-Child.aspx
https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-a...ochure_Eng.pdf
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...onditions.aspx
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...n_NIIW2012.pdf
Plus 8 more pages.

CDC:https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001108.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/homecare...tychildren.htm

Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 PM

29 posts, read 86,605 times
My brother's son had severe headaches starting at about age eight. Could not stand the light. School would call to pick him up off the floor. Had a total neuro workup by a top neurologist at Research Hospital in Kansas City, MO. Nothing. His daughter decided to work up his problem for her science fair project in school. She took volumes of notes, asked tons of questions, what he ate, what he did, what was different when he had them. Very efficient workup.

She noted that the family had decided to start eating and living healthier lives. The mother cut out all the sugar from the house. She only had artificial sweeteners in the house. Any sweet drinks or food had to have it, cookies, gum, candy, drinks. So the daughter took everything away from him that had this artificial sweetner in it. For two weeks he had no headaches, no dark circles under his eyes, NOTHING. Then she took away anything with sugar in it and reintroduced all the products that had the sweetener in it. The headaches and dark circles were back within two days, very severe. She repeated this test four times, with two-week intervals between each.

The cause of his headaches and dark circles was the artificial sweetener. She then researched this and found that the year before 16 children had died because of allergic reactions to artificial sweeteners. She had volumes of notes which she copied and sent to the neurologist so he could see what happened. No answer from him.....had to chuckle though.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 AM

201 posts, read 193,231 times
TexasBlonde,
Make sure she's hydrated- water her pee should be light yellow not to be gross. Think if there is anything new or different she has been eating/ drinking over the past 3 weeks. Then think if anything has changed, going to new school etc. Look for any changes in particular with food/drink.

Waking with a headache/ migrane is a very bad sign for adults/kids anyone. But you didn't say on waking, just in the morning.

I don't want to scare you but pediatricians have a bad way of blowing off complaints. If there is a good neurology center for pediatrics or rather look up reviews on them so you can verify if they send you to a place which one may be the best fit. Neurologists can be very good and absolutely horrible.

Does she have any other symptoms- **staring off into space and not hearing you when you call, or have twitching? You might want to keep a log of what time, what she ate, drank etc document so you can try to see a pattern and report it to the pediatrician. Ask if she remembers anything weird before feeling the headache (strange lights etc).

I would not sit on this. Kids shouldn't be getting headaches, especially ones that last that long and don't respond to Tylenol.

Better safe than sorry, I'd go to the pediatricians and probably neurologist.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
One of my daughters is 6, and for the past 3 weeks or so, she's been getting pretty bad migraine type headaches at least once every 4 days or so (to the point where she can't even read a book, watch movies, etc for any more than a few minutes at a time). They normally happen in the mornings, and can last up to 8 hours or so.

I haven't taken her to the doctor yet, but I have tried things like Childrens Tylenol, and it lessens the migraine a little bit, but definitely doesn't make it go away.

Does anyone have any experience with this or what might be causing it? I'll definitely be taking her to the doctor one day this week, but until I can get her into the pediatrician I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 AM

252 posts, read 356,716 times
Dehydration can be a trigger. Try giving peanut butter and Gatorade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting